Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Oh, Please. If you don't vote and don't think before you spend your money ... then don't blame the "government", blame yourself. Nobody's taking anything away from us. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Not likely. Now, if you have something specific to cite ... go ahead. Othewise, I see this is just another 'bad day' complaint by someone.

Playing a rigged system, isn't playing... It is suicide.

Your right, I'm a free man, able to do as I please, as long as it doesn't upset you that I am doing it.
It is only illegal, when you get caught.

It is only illegal, if you get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Exactly. I don't see how my liberty has changed. The only thing that seems to be getting worse is corporate control of our government. All our politicians, both sides, are bought and sold by corporate interests. Yes, we get to vote. But more and more, WHO we can vote for is decided by billionaires
This is what everyone should be concerned about. Instead everyone is so busy supporting their side, and hating the other they don't even notice who "our" politicians are really working for. Both "sides" are brainwashed.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
NSA spying violates my 4th amendment.
No knock & warrantless raids violate my 5th amendment
I have to obtain, ask permission and then pay a fee, to assemble in protest, violates my 1st amendment.
I cannot have an explosive or fully automatic armament, or bear arms, without asking permission and then pay a fee, violates my 2nd amendment right, even then I still cannot bear arms, but must ask to carry one concealed.

My liberty has been compromised, yours maybe to your liking.

You can thank the Bush Administration and a gutless Congress for passage of the Patriot Act that allowed violation of due process for our "safety."

I was against the passage of that beast way back when, and I was against the extension of it during the Obama administration. My question to you is: were you? or did you think it was necessary for the security of this country?

Have the police conducted a warrantless search of your premesis? Then get in touch with an attorney, or better yet, the ACLU.

What your complaining regarding protests, concealed carry, etc. are, for the most part, municipal ordinances and state laws, more than the federal laws. Contact your state and local gubmit on that, or move to a state that isn't as restrictive.

The Automatic Weapons Ban expired, the Supreme Court overturned a ban on firearms in DC, and basically left the question of gun regulation to the states. The NFA was passed in 1934, 80 years ago, the the gun Control Law of 1968 was passed almost 50 years ago. The Brady Law was passed in 1993, over 20 years ago.

Is there something recent I don't know about?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is no where to run and no where to hide,
That's when people organize.

"RALPH NADER: Yes. You’ve got to think of politics in America now as two stratas. On the top, dominating the left-right emerging alliance, are the corporate powers and their political allies in the Congress and elsewhere. And what we’re seeing here is a corporate strategy of long standing that fears a combination of left-right convergence on issues that would challenge corporate power. So, they really like the idea of left-right fighting each other over the social issues. They really work to divide and rule these left-right public opinion and representatives. And so far, they have been dominant, the corporatists.

But they’re beginning to lose. And we have enough historical evidence to show that the tide is running against them. For example, on the minimum wage fight, that comes in 70, 80 percent in the polls, which means a lot of conservative Wal-Mart workers think they should get a restored minimum wage, at least to what it was 46 years ago plus inflation adjustment. That would be almost $11 an hour.

The left-right alliance is coming through at the state legislative level on juvenile justice reform and addressing the whole problem of prisons in our country. Newt Gingrich and others have started a group called Right on Crime. And the progressive forces are working hand in glove with right and left state legislatures, and they’ve gotten through some bills in over a dozen legislatures.

The third area where it’s breaking through, the left-right alliance, is to block the further expansion of these globalized trade agreements. The Pacific trade agreement, which is being negotiated with Asian countries by President Obama, is not going to be blocked under an opposition in the House of Representatives to fast track. In other words, Republicans and Democrats, I think, have about a majority of the House, even defying their leadership in the Democratic and Republican Party, Boehner and Pelosi. They have enough votes right now to block a fast-track, zip-through-the House trade agreement. And that’s a left-right.

A little over a year ago, there was almost a majority vote in the House to block the NSA from dragnet surveillance. That was a bubbling up of public opinion, going from the grassroots all the way to the House of Representatives, in defiance of Speaker Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

So we’re seeing this emerge. And if we really want to get things done in this country, long-overdue redirections, then we better pay attention to this emerging left-right alliance that I describe in detail. There are 25 areas of left-right convergence in this country, and they represent a majority. That’s why I called the book Unstoppable. And all we need now is to start the conversation level locally, have it bubble up into the media—the media sort of likes this idea of unlikely allies, especially at the local level—and have it move into the political stream and then put it on the table, all these issues, for the electoral campaigns that are coming up."

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
That's when people organize.

So we’re seeing this emerge. And if we really want to get things done in this country, long-overdue redirections, then we better pay attention to this emerging left-right alliance that I describe in detail. There are 25 areas of left-right convergence in this country, and they represent a majority. That’s why I called the book Unstoppable. And all we need now is to start the conversation level locally, have it bubble up into the media—the media sort of likes this idea of unlikely allies, especially at the local level—and have it move into the political stream and then put it on the table, all these issues, for the electoral campaigns that are coming up."

Here comes the Conservatives to save the day. Thanks Ron Paul & thanks Ted Cruz!

Old 05-17-2014, 02:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Oh, Please. If you don't vote and don't think before you spend your money ... then don't blame the "government", blame yourself. Nobody's taking anything away from us. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Not likely. Now, if you have something specific to cite ... go ahead. Othewise, I see this is just another 'bad day' complaint by someone.
No - it's deeper than that. It's a ridiculously puerile tirade of imagined persecution - a self-ratifying presumption of personal primacy wholly detached from the reasonable expectations of living in community with others.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
There's actually some truth to this. The concept of inalienable rights was one upon which this country was founded. Since that formation, it's been chipped off in incremental pieces, bit by bit. A huge rights grab would get everyone's attention. However, the bit by bit, not so much. A bit like the frog being boiled but starting in the cold water. Our freedom of speech is chipped away. Say something unpopular and you can land yourself in unemployment or even jail. Our freedom to bear arms is chipped away. Go to several cities in this country and bring your own firearm and you can be jailed if you don't follow the arcane rules they have created. Our freedom to property is chipped away. Try buying a piece of property and living there unencumbered. That could get the tax authorities, zoning authorities, EPA, and any other number of people after you. On and on it goes.

Reminds me a bit of women before the vote. The gilded cage. They were 'cared for', 'needed for nothing', and 'treated well', but they weren't free. The trappings that kept them as some subset of society were there, no matter how well they were dressed up. They wanted the messy. They wanted to risk. Because they would be free - both to make good and bad decisions.

In today's world, we're told that we should be happy because we have Father Government taking care of health, Father Government making sure we don't 'hurt' ourselves with the FDA, the EPA, etc. We have Father Government making sure we are 'safe' by listening to our phone calls, our emails, and anything we say. We have Father Government telling us to not worry about that freedom thing because they're taking care of us, that we need for nothing, and we're treated well. It's just another gilded cage and there are some people happy to live in it.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 AM

413 posts, read 438,104 times
"We The People" what does that mean Really? I often hear that and it seems sketchy on its face to me at least.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Good point: There are a number of people who have forgotten what the word "we" means.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Good point: There are a number of people who have forgotten what the word "we" means.
Like the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies