Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were scientifically proven that homosexuality is not a choice, would you still support gay mar
Yes 113 81.29%
No 26 18.71%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote.

I never supported same sex marriage to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Yes, everyone has a right to find their own happiness, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Proof is everywhere!!! The media will not put a mic in the faces of those that use to live that way! They can find dirt from 50 years ago on politicians they don't like!! They can find grades and tax records and ex-girlfriends (except for Obama) of public figures they want to destroy!!

BUT SOMEHOW.....SOME WAY......THEY CANT FIND THE THOUSANDS.....I DARE SAY MILLIONS OF FOLKS AROUND THE GLOBE WHO USE TO LIVE THAT WAY, BUT NOW LIVE HEALTHY HETEROSEXUAL LIVES:

[youtube]
=n-yrI6WSGp8[youtube]

[youtube]
=X3vh33LwT-0[youtube]

[youtube]
=Oudj92pRBRI[youtube]

[youtube]
=J_cff7paPs8[youtube]

THEY CANT FIND THESE PEOPLE AND MORE!!?? Oh they can.....they just don't want to find them! It kills their narrative!! They act like ex-homosexuals are like the tooth fairy! Like they are mythical!

The media is corrupt.......period.
"Jesus changes homosexuals to heterosexuals" proclaimed the national and international ex-gay ministries for 40 years, but after nearly a million people tried, the leaders of both Exodus International and Love in Action admitted nobody had changed his sexual orientation."

Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Proof is everywhere!!! The media will not put a mic in the faces of those that use to live that way! They can find dirt from 50 years ago on politicians they don't like!! They can find grades and tax records and ex-girlfriends (except for Obama) of public figures they want to destroy!!

BUT SOMEHOW.....SOME WAY......THEY CANT FIND THE THOUSANDS.....I DARE SAY MILLIONS OF FOLKS AROUND THE GLOBE WHO USE TO LIVE THAT WAY, BUT NOW LIVE HEALTHY HETEROSEXUAL LIVES:

THEY CANT FIND THESE PEOPLE AND MORE!!?? Oh they can.....they just don't want to find them! It kills their narrative!! They act like ex-homosexuals are like the tooth fairy! Like they are mythical!

OOPS! Did you put on flame retardant pants before you linked to those videos?

Alan Chambers, the president of Exodus International, (the largest 'ex-gay' 'pray away the gay' group) stated in 2012 that 99.9% of Exodus members had not changed their orientation.

Alan Chambers: 99.9% have not experienced a change in their orientation

In 2013, he closed down Exodus and apologized to gay and lesbian people for all the harm they had caused:

“I am sorry for the pain and hurt that many of you have experienced. I am sorry some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents.

“I am sorry I didn’t stand up to people publicly ‘on my side’ who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him, I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.

“More than anything, I am sorry that so many have interpreted this religious rejection by Christians as God’s rejection. I am profoundly sorry that many have walked away from their faith and that some have chosen to end their lives.

Read more... Exodus Int

Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Even a study done a couple of years ago by Christian researchers showed that sexual orientation doesn't change.

“Characteristics of Mixed Orientation Couples: An Empirical Study"

http://wthrockmorton.com/2011/07/15/new-study-sexual-behavior-changes-but-not-sexual-orientation/

"While it was not a study of efforts to change, one could reasonably assume that if a group had participants who had shifted orientation very much, then this would be the group. However, that is not what they found"

Christian Psychologist Dr Throckmorton says: "I think evangelicals need to face what evangelical academics are finding in research"

Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It doesn't change the fact many people like myself see it as a religious institution.
Fine. Don't get a civil marriage licence then. Just have a ceremony at your church.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Is it a subsidy? Or is it payment for contracted commodities and insurance to cover the possible loss of such? 79.2% of the Farm Bill funds SNAP benefits. What do you think SNAP benefits and free and reduced-price school lunches are feeding people? Cardboard?
Subsidies and government largesse. Even removing food benefit, you're at roughly 200 billion $. That's not chump change.

And yes, SNAP is also a subsidy to farmers, food manufacturers and food retailers as much as it is benefit to poor people.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM

31,083 posts, read 22,101,630 times
"If homosexuality were proven to be a choice, would you still support gay marriage?"

Either choice or born that way is fine as long as they are consenting adults.

I'm starting to think 'societal influence and conditioning' is a much bigger player. The 'Born that way' applying to all was never realistic.

What makes a man innately attracted to a woman is often just window dressing; hair, features, smell, body shape. A transgender man would be a good example. Still a man genetically, but looks like a woman. There are many feminine appearing transgenders that could pass. Same applies to women that can pass for men. Looks like a man but is a woman. The outer attraction is the attraction of the male form.

A good example would be Chaz Bono and her partner at the time. Absolutely Lesbian until Chaz decided she was a man and made the transformation. Her partner apparently went from Lesbian to Hetero. There are many other examples, some more extreme than others, but most prove that human beings can adapt to different roles.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:19 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
What makes a man innately attracted to a woman is often just window dressing; hair, features, smell, body shape. A transgender man would be a good example. Still a man genetically, but looks like a woman. There are many feminine appearing transgenders that could pass. Same applies to women that can pass for men. Looks like a man but is a woman. The outer attraction is the attraction of the male form.

A good example would be Chaz Bono and her partner at the time. Absolutely Lesbian until Chaz decided she was a man and made the transformation. Her partner apparently went from Lesbian to Hetero. There are many other examples, some more extreme than others, but most prove that human beings can adapt to different roles.
~FREEZE, TRANS POLICE~

Kidding, mostly. Just as a brief FYI to posters, for the sake of clarifying language:

A trans man is a person who was assigned female at birth and now lives as male. Chaz Bono, for example, is a trans man. Chelsea Manning is a trans woman. It's polite, kind, proper, and also journalistically recommended to refer to a person by their lived gender: Chaz is he, Chelsea is she.

I didn't mean to pick on you Juan, but it's a common error I wanted to clear up.

~You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion~

Related to this, a lot of people believe very firmly in binaries. You're either gay or straight. Some people can accept a person can be bisexual, but that's about it. But sexuality (among other things) is very fluid. A lot of people who identify as straight have had same-sex experiences. Some people do change their sexual orientation--but it's unclear why. Did they have a predisposition? Were they closeted due to social pressure? Perhaps they were bisexual or pansexual and didn't know it, weren't out about it, or chose not to identify as such.

A switch in orientation doesn't invalidate past experiences, but it also doesn't make the new orientation less valid.

For this specific example, the partners of trans people often find themselves in a strange position: does their love and attraction for their partner allow them to overcome a change in apparent sexual orientation? Conversely, does the sexual orientation of their partner sit well with the person who is transitioning?

I actually broke off a relationship not long after I came out, because while my boyfriend and the time really cared for me, he was incredibly straight, and I knew we were going to lack sexual compatibility down the road. He wanted to stay together, and was willing to be in a relationship with me as a man, but I knew I'd never feel like anything other than a woman with him.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Gay marriage isn't something I need to "support". If I'm not getting gay-married myself it has nothing to do with me.

I hate people who are "anti" or "against" things just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies