Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were scientifically proven that homosexuality is not a choice, would you still support gay mar
Yes 113 81.29%
No 26 18.71%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
No. Anyone who voted yes must logically support polygamy.
You must've skipped over my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
You must've skipped over my post.
Yes and a man can marry a dog but it's up to the government to recognize it. Why do gays need the government to recognize their marriage? What's so special about them that their marriages should be recognized but not polygamous ones?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:19 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Yes and a man can marry a dog but it's up to the government to recognize it. Why do gays need the government to recognize their marriage? What's so special about them that their marriages should be recognized but not polygamous ones?
There's an easy litmus test.

Is the partner able to give legal consent?

No?

Then they shouldn't be able to be legally wed.

Animals and children cannot give legal consent. Therefore the government cannot legally recognize those unions.

However, any and all combinations of consenting individuals should receive government recognition.

I'm unsure of how I can make it clearer.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Instead of fighting to add same sex marriage to the list of things the .gov will allow, why not fight to get government out of marriage completely? Then anyone could marry anyone.
How many straight people are out there fighting to get government out of marriage? How many straight married couples are there that are willing to give up those 1049 plus or minus federal rights, protections and benefits? Are you one of those? It is always when it comes to same sex marriage, that straights say they want government out of marriage.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
That can already happen. Anyone can be wed by a person, but the government is what confers the rights.

Which, the government will never let go of. So again, useless argument. The only way forward is equal recognition. For every combination of consenting adults.

@the topic:

Yes, I would support homosexual marriage even if it was proven a choice. Choice, born, irrelevant. Anyone should be able to be married to be anyone they want, the only qualifiers being "consenting" and "adult".
What many of those that say gays choose to be gay forget is that if gays choose to be gay, then likewise, straights choose to be straight. I know that I did not choose my sexual orientation or to who I am attracted to.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
Quote:
There's an easy litmus test.

Is the partner able to give legal consent?

No?

Then they shouldn't be able to be legally wed.

Animals and children cannot give legal consent. Therefore the government cannot legally recognize those unions.

However, any and all combinations of consenting individuals should receive government recognition.

I'm unsure of how I can make it clearer.
Yes, you're right actually.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Would those who support "marriage equality" back away from their position?

I'm speaking hypothetically. If you're going to respond with "the vast majority of scientists say people ARE born gay and sexual orientation is not a choice," no need to respond. I already know.

If you would still support gay marriage despite a scientific revelation, what are your reasons?
Of course.

After all, in this alter-reality heterosexuality would presumably also be a choice. And I'd still support allowing opposite-sex marriage.

[not that either matters - I'm just not a big-government marital control-freak]

Old 05-17-2014, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If homosexuality is a choice, as some claim, isn't it possible that many have been choosing it because they didn't want to be married?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
The acts of homosexuality are a choice. Who they are, is not. I use to think differently. Seriously, you can look at some of them and just tell. Many, have the look. Unfortunately, its who they are and they cant help it. It doesnt change how I think its odd and disgusting but it is what it is. I wish theyd just find out what causes it. Im sure there is a gay gene or some miswire somewhere. But thats up to scientists to find out.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The acts of homosexuality are a choice. Who they are, is not. I use to think differently. Seriously, you can look at some of them and just tell. Many, have the look. Unfortunately, its who they are and they cant help it. It doesnt change how I think its odd and disgusting but it is what it is. I wish theyd just find out what causes it. Im sure there is a gay gene or some miswire somewhere. But thats up to scientists to find out.

Why? What does it matter. And it's only odd and disgusting to people that don't understand and feel it affects them somehow. But gay couples are really no different than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies