Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,548 times

Advertisements

this pisses me off to no end.....

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And there's nothing in those photos that ARE current to indicate that cars are "stacking up unsold" either. Cars come into such places, they are pulled out and sold and OTHER cars are rotated in to REPLACE THEM.
The whole idea that unsold cars are just stacking up is simply not true. It WAS true in 2009, it's NOT true TODAY.
The article is a lie - plain and simple - directed at people too stupid and too ignorant to know any better.

Ken
Well some photos could be current. Someone simply pointed out some that appeared to be older. The time stamp seems to be from google maps, it isn't really clear. The article does not give enough information or context to draw any real conclusions. Pictures of cars in lots is not enough information to draw any real conclusion. Much less google photos.

The CNN article from 2009 wasn't vetted by CNN and didn't seem to state where the photos were from either. The AOL article also said little and the money gallery link didn't seem to relate. I didn't see any related photos. (may have missed it). It was a little blurb about Detroit.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well some photos could be current. Someone simply pointed out some that appeared to be older. The time stamp seems to be from google maps, it isn't really clear. The article does not give enough information or context to draw any real conclusions. Pictures of cars in lots is not enough information to draw any real conclusion. Much less google photos.

The CNN article from 2009 wasn't vetted by CNN and didn't seem to state where the photos were from either. The AOL article also said little and the money gallery link didn't seem to relate. I didn't see any related photos. (may have missed it). It was a little blurb about Detroit.
Even if some of them ARE current - so what? Cars come in and they go out and are replaced by OTHER cars, that's the way it WORKS. The fact that the lots are full in no way shape or form indicates that they are somehow "stacking up" - which is the bogus claim the article is making. If cars weren't being sold then at the rate outmakers have been making cars there'd be a lot more than they are showing in the photos.
As I said, the article is BS.

Ken

Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Even if some of them ARE current - so what? Cars come in and they go out and are replaced by OTHER cars, that's the way it WORKS. The fact that the lots are full in no way shape or form indicates that they are somehow "stacking up" - which is the bogus claim the article is making. If cars weren't being sold then at the rate outmakers have been making cars there'd be a lot more than they are showing in the photos.
As I said, the article is BS.

Ken
My statement was simply addressing your statement that implied nothing, but old photos, which seemed to not have been established. As to your bolded statement, I already commented twice, stating that current photos aren't conclusive either. Not now or in 2009. "Stacking up" is a subjective term so doesn't say much.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I believe this is a BS story.

Those "car wastelands" are really just a storage area for cars waiting for distribution.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I believe this is a BS story.

Those "car wastelands" are really just a storage area for cars waiting for distribution.
Maybe, maybe not. All I know is I chose to hold off buying a car because I have to see how Obamacare plays out. I also opted not to hire people for renovations, same reason. You may say it's all BS, no problem. It's smart imo. Hold off at minimum until we get rid of the idiot in office who thinks Americans are piggy banks. Believe me, I'm not the only one.

Last edited by petch751; 05-18-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 06:00 PM

This site has some useful information with links. I have only skimmed through it. Seems the govt information (i.e. transportation) is really old. Maybe people have some good refs.
The OICA site looked useful.

Cars produced in the world - Worldometers
quote:
In 2012, for the first time in history, over 60 million cars passenger cars will be produced in a single year (or 165,000 new cars produced every day).
1 out of 4 cars produced in the world comes from China.
China was the world’s third-largest car market in 2006, as car sales in China soared by nearly 40% to 4.1 million units. Soon thereafter, China took the lead and became the world’s first-largest car market, as low vehicle penetration, rising incomes, greater credit availability and falling car prices lift sales past those of Japan.

This had some refs, but the ones I tried to read were missing and the data I could find was old.
Passenger vehicles in the United States

There is a statement of projections, so not sure how accurate, but this is production and sales. Looks like above 87 mil production and under 86 mil sales. (2013) Breakdowns by country are interesting.
http://www.oica.net/category/sales-statistics/
http://www.oica.net/category/production-statistics/

Last edited by CDusr; 05-18-2014 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: links

Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
New vehicles are way too overpriced. Lower the prices.
No kidding! Anyone who would pay $20,000+ for a car is a complete and total idiot, or rich enough to pay cash, in which case it's a mere hobby.

I can't imagine financing a car for 60 months. What kind of idiots are out there, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies