Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,582 times

Advertisements

If I was a 'bad guy' I would be keeping a list of the stores that do not allow guns. That's where I would shop for free money.

I'm getting a sign like this out of respect for my neighbor. Bless his heart.

It reads like this.......

"My next door neighbor wants to ban all guns.
Their house is not armed.
Out of respect for their opinions I promise not to use my guns to protect them."
Attached Thumbnails
Open carry?...please keep the parade of guns going!-no-gun-sign-2.jpg  

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 AM

534 posts, read 905,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Gee, and I thought all it it took was a pen and a piece of paper....District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).

Now that I think of it the south decided to flex its muscle in order to maintain slavery even though no one in the government believed that it had any right to do anything about it in the first place and we know how that worked out, which leads me to also think that a person can flex their rights to the point that other folks find such rights so odious the publics sensibilities that the public loses any taste for retaining those rights.

That which the Constitution giveth, the Constitution can taketh away.
Gun "rights" are only a scotus decision away from being corrected no matter what Wayne a LaPiere says. There isn't a magic man in the sky that proclaimed "Ricky booby and earl kutz of yahoo city can have a gun". Some day your gun privilege, like a drivers license will be revoked. No matter how many open carry tantrums are staged. Then like an alcoholic or drug addict there will be taxpayer funded programs or 12 step systems to cure your gun addictions. Technology will solve the problem of the gun. Even now the nails are being placed on the coffin of the gun as we know it, smart guns will be the next step to take control from the gun droolers.

Society will change, it's what we do best.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:31 AM

473 posts, read 797,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Gun "rights" are only a scotus decision away from being corrected no matter what Wayne a LaPiere says. There isn't a magic man in the sky that proclaimed "Ricky booby and earl kutz of yahoo city can have a gun". Some day your gun privilege, like a drivers license will be revoked. No matter how many open carry tantrums are staged. Then like an alcoholic or drug addict there will be taxpayer funded programs or 12 step systems to cure your gun addictions. Technology will solve the problem of the gun. Even now the nails are being placed on the coffin of the gun as we know it, smart guns will be the next step to take control from the gun droolers.

When that day comes, will you be volunteering to go door to door to collect these now illegal guns? Or is that someone else's problem?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
When that day comes, will you be volunteering to go door to door to collect these now illegal guns? Or is that someone else's problem?
Let's have all the members of the NRA led by Wayne Piere...would be worth watching as Wayne cries withe each gun confiscated. Perhaps given your retired status you would be eager to be a Block Captain to oversee the collections! I can recommend you if you wish

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Bingo. It is a highly debated topic inside the gun community itself.

One the one hand, i fully support people expressing their rights if it is legal to do so...

but on the other hand...does this really help the cause?

I'm an AR-15 owner myself, but not once have I ever thought it would be a good idea to go to McDonald's with it slung on my back.

BTW..that kid totally ruined that SKS. Makes me cringe to see a "tacticool milsurp"

If it were that Laramie, WY, McDonalds just off I-80 and those rifles were in fact only slung over their shoulders with the magazines removed, it wouldn't bother me. I'd go to Condition Orange, but I'd continue my meal.

But if I'm sitting in a McDonalds in central Dallas and two guys walk in with their rifles in their hands like that, I'm going to Condition Red. My hand will be on my handgun until I get myself and my family out of there, and if one of those muzzles even begins to rise, I will be in Condition Black.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:

Silly me, I thought we were a representative democracy. SCOTUS is appointed by the president. Any president appointing such a liberal supreme court supporting firearms ban, even if its feasible in his 8 year term to get this majority, since they are appointed for life, won't be president long. In fact, such a party platform is political suicide.

The last poll I have heard of (2013 USA Today-Gallup Poll) indicates 75% of citizens against an outright ban of handguns. That's pretty overwhelming. With those results, there is not a Washington politician alive that will touch the subject of an outright ban.

Increased gun control is another matter - there was one poll conducted before these school shooting that said that most americans are comfortable with the status control gun controls already in place (which is why Obama never addressed it in his first term). Lately with all the publicity, many americans want stronger gun control laws. The problem is - there is no consensus on what they stronger gun control laws should be, keeping in mind the lack of knowledge on firearms or existing laws is pretty bad (I can't even begin to tell you how many weapons are misidentified as "assault rifles").

Our constitution is based on the concept of individual rights, that includes the 2nd amendment. You take the good (individual rights of religion, press, speech) with the bad (guns falling into the wrong hands, Nazi clubs allowed to hold parades, violent video games being played by children), and you can't lose one without the other. Society may change, but you might not like the results.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM

893 posts, read 886,668 times
Quote:
Conceal carry all you want, have a great time. Just leave your assault weapons in the car or better yet at home.
LOL at the gun grabbers and their "assault weapons". It looks scary so it's an "assault weapon"

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Silly me, I thought we were a representative democracy. SCOTUS is appointed by the president. Any president appointing such a liberal supreme court supporting firearms ban, even if its feasible in his 8 year term to get this majority, since they are appointed for life, won't be president long. In fact, such a party platform is political suicide.

The last poll I have heard of (2013 USA Today-Gallup Poll) indicates 75% of citizens against an outright ban of handguns. That's pretty overwhelming. With those results, there is not a Washington politician alive that will touch the subject of an outright ban.

Increased gun control is another matter - there was one poll conducted before these school shooting that said that most americans are comfortable with the status control gun controls already in place (which is why Obama never addressed it in his first term). Lately with all the publicity, many americans want stronger gun control laws. The problem is - there is no consensus on what they stronger gun control laws should be, keeping in mind the lack of knowledge on firearms or existing laws is pretty bad (I can't even begin to tell you how many weapons are misidentified as "assault rifles").

Our constitution is based on the concept of individual rights, that includes the 2nd amendment. You take the good (individual rights of religion, press, speech) with the bad (guns falling into the wrong hands, Nazi clubs allowed to hold parades, violent video games being played by children), and you can't lose one without the other. Society may change, but you might not like the results.
Yet those "rights" have limitations...the first amendment doesn't allow for unlimited speech.

Your polls also indicate a strong "Christian" belief as a part of our society, yet attendance at church's continues to decline. So any poll is suspect. Ask the Republican Party of the polling indicating a landslide for Mitt Romney.

The 2nd amendment was included to entice the slave holding states to agree to a union. The term "militia" was used to authorize localities to have a slave patrol to ensure the growing population of slaves would firmly under control. The "militia" would keep slave in order and required each male to be part of the militia to ensure no slave rebellions.

So it's a matter of correcting the 2nd amendment. The authors of the constitution allowed for that to happen. And I see that happening sooner rather than later.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:35 AM

893 posts, read 886,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Guns have no place, and serve no useful purpose, in a modern society.

The bottom line for any sort of gun 'carrying' individual--legal or illegal--is that they introduce the opportunity for someone to get hurt or killed.

When was the last time you heard or read an article which lauded the involvement of a gun because it caused some good? Virtually never (I am sure the NRA has a list of the events).

More often, the 'news' is that someone was shot or killed in a domestic disturbance, in an argument, in 'defending' themselves, or through an accidental discharge of a loaded gun.

The only way to resolve the gun issue is to eliminate them from the public hands. It will take a hundred years to get the 'pipeline' cleaned out, but it has to start somewhere. Put the 'recreational' guns in a preserve where you check them out, and check them in, and genuine gun folks can do their thing. For the rest, sorry, but whatever 'rights' you thought you had have been usurped by the knuckleheads (the Chipotle crowd, for example) who are irresponsible and have contributed to an unacceptable level of injury and death.
ROTFLOL.

You guys are cute. You actually think the bad guys are going to follow your ridiculous rules?

Chicago is gun free. How's that working out for them?

compare Chicago to Houston. Similarly sized cities and similar demographics.

One of them bans firearms

One of them allows firearms and has stores that sell guns.

Guess which one has the outrageous amount of gun violence? I'll give you 3 guesses.....

Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Yet those "rights" have limitations...the first amendment doesn't allow for unlimited speech.

Your polls also indicate a strong "Christian" belief as a part of our society, yet attendance at church's continues to decline. So any poll is suspect. Ask the Republican Party of the polling indicating a landslide for Mitt Romney.

The 2nd amendment was included to entice the slave holding states to agree to a union. The term "militia" was used to authorize localities to have a slave patrol to ensure the growing population of slaves would firmly under control. The "militia" would keep slave in order and required each male to be part of the militia to ensure no slave rebellions.
Actually, the only reason there is a Bill of Rights at all is because northern states--particularly and specifically the radically liberal Rhode Island--refused to ratify the Constitution until the Bill of Rights was written and ratified first.

Quote:
So it's a matter of correcting the 2nd amendment. The authors of the constitution allowed for that to happen. And I see that happening sooner rather than later.
"Correcting" the Bill of Rights will require a constitutional amendment. What the Supreme Court has done over the last 100 years is to broaden the Bill of Rights by applying it to state governments (the Bill of Rights was originally understood only to apply to the federal government, which was the actual decision of the Dred Scott case and a couple before that).

Application of the Bill of Rights to the states has been regarded by conservatives as a "liberal" action, but the truth is that the same SCOTUS thinking which has broadened the Fifth Amendment to the states (the Miranda decision, for instance) also broadens the Second Amendment to the states.

A very liberal SCOTUS might not interfere with a tighter state law against firearms, but there is absolutely zero chance of any liberal SCOTUS reversing the hundred-year-old pattern of the court of broadening the Bill of Rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies