Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Hindsight 20-20. It's so easy knowing what we know now, beforehand however, there was simply no compelling legal reason or rather justification to strip that individual of his civil rights and involuntarily commit to an institution.

Placing guns in hands of citizens carries that kind of risk and that's why all developed industrialized nations banned private ownership of guns and strictly regulate hunting and sporting equipment.

You scare me more than a "gun nut". I'm not a gun person, by the way.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Nope. You can't lock up half the population.
Nor am I arguing for that. We lock up people now for making legitimate threats.

Teen Arrested for Making Rape Threats on Twitter

Medina Student Arrested For Making Threats Online | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Buffalo, NY | News

You know this though but you would prefer to see your politics trump what might actually work.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,800 times
I scare you or is it the world where all developed countries banned guns long time ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You scare me more than a "gun nut". I'm not a gun person, by the way.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Nobody is blaming the object, that would be irrational. We do however recognize that placing these objects in hands of random people is an invitation for trouble as there is no way of knowing who will and who won't snap without any warning. Are we willing to take that risk, risk that no other industrialized nation is willing to take?
It's useless to argue with you because all you do is repeat the same fallacies and strawmen over and over.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
^^True but as they used to say in the Old South "we have a peculiar institution" which has caused a situation.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I scare you or is it the world where all developed countries banned guns long time ago?
Case in point. A vast generalization based upon nothing. No developed country has banned guns. Yes, hunting devices are also guns and will kill just as easily.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:33 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Illness, not misogyny, made Elliot Rodger kill

Illness, not guns, made him kill

Address the mental health care issues if we really care about the victims.

Illness, not misogyny, made Elliot Rodger kill
That would be the common sense approach.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Case in point. A vast generalization based upon nothing. No developed country has banned guns. Yes, hunting devices are also guns and will kill just as easily.

There was that fellow in Norway......with the kids at the camp.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Default Why do SOME always blame the guns after mass shooting? Why don't they blame mental illnesses?

1. Virginia Tech shooter 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho, - Court-ordered psychiatric assessment, severe mental ill

2.Sandy Hook Elementary School Adam Lanze - suffered from mentally ill

3.In Killeen, Texas, 35-year-old George Hennard - had a history of mental illness

4.In San Ysidro, California, 41-year-old James Huberty - had called a mental health center

5.University of Texas. Charles Joseph Whitman - Suffering from mental illness and acute fits of anger

6.Edmond, Oklahoma part-time mail carrier, Patrick Henry Sherrill, His father, Sherrill whispered, was mentally ill.

7.Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan kills 13 people and injures 32 at Fort Hood, Texas, - had mental health issues

8.In Binghamton, New York, Jiverly Wong - mentally ill immigrant

9.Columbine High School - Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - being recognized as mentally ill

10.In Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 40-year-old George Banks - is evaluated at a Harrisburg-area hospital for mental-health issues

11. Aaron Alexis - shooter from the Navy Yard - Aaron Alexis's mental illness went untreated

12. James E. Holmes - Batman film shooter - suffered from mental illness

13. In Atlanta, Georgia, 44-year-old Mark Barton - been placed on disability leave from his job due to mental problems.

25 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. History Fast Facts - CNN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, I was reading the article 25 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. last night and did a research on all these shooters. I found out almost all of them suffered from untreated mental illnesses.

I wonder why do some people always blame the guns after a mass shooting? Mental illness is often not to blame in mass shooting? Why?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninties View Post
"My first week turned out to be very unpleasant, leaving a horrific first impression of my new life inSanta Barbara. My two housemates were nice, but they kept inviting over this friend of theirs namedChance. He was black boy who came over all the time, and I hated his cocksure attitude. Inevitably, avile incident occurred between me and him. I was eating a meal in the kitchen when he came over andstarted bragging to my housemates about his success with girls.
I couldn’t stand it, so I proceeded to ask
them all if they were virgins. They all looked at me weirdly and said that they had lost their virginity long ago. I felt so inferior, as it reminded me of how much I have missed out in life. And then this black boy named Chance said that he lost his virginity when he was only thirteen! In addition, he said that the girl he lost his virginity to was a blonde white girl! I was so enraged that I almost splashed him with my orange juice. I indignantly told him that I did not believe him, and then I went to my room to cry. I cried and cried and cried, and then I called my mother and cried to her on the phone.How could an inferior, ugly black boy be able to get a white girl and not me? I am beautiful, and I amhalf white myself. I am descended from British aristocracy.
He
is descended from slaves. I deserve it more.
I tried not to believe his foul words, but they were already said, and it was hard to erase from my mind. If this is actually true, if this ugly black filth was able to have sex with a blonde white girl at the age
of thirteen while I’ve had to suffer virginity all my life, then this just proves how ridiculous the female
gender is. They would give themselves to this filthy scum, but they reject
ME?
The injustice!"
Figures. Do you know how many people go into fits of rage when black guys bang white girls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies