Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though he didn't need Congressional approval, the swap would have become the controversial issue it is now, both in terms of Bergdahl himself and the merit of the swap. By doing the swap illegally, it's a done deal and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
So its controversial done legally and even more controversial done illegally. There was then no reason to do it illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Then what? There are 70-80 cleared for release but no Country will accept them.
That should be telling you something...

Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Based on what his comrades and the Army is telling us he's guilty. It's pretty simple actually. Now, the Liar and Thief will let him off but hat is only to cover himself and still doesn't change the fact he's guilty. It just confirms Obummer has no regard for our laws. If military leaders tell me he deserted I believe them.

It's clear he walked away from his post. That is desertion period.

I have never understood the lacks of accountability from liberals. Maybe it makes it easier for them to live life on hand outs from others? You know, it's not my fault so I deserve something??
Maybe the difference between AWOL and desertion isn't important to you. Walking away from your post is not deserting.

There's some info indicating he did not intend to return, and my personal opinion is he wasn't returning, but I've yet to see anything showing military authorities concluded that's the case.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
The war may be over for us, oh young one, but not for the Taliban. They still want to kill us, behead us, would love another 9-11, they are still blowing up our soldiers, and now that Obama has released those close to Bin Laden, and they have received their heroes welcome home, we can only hope the protections put in place will continue to keep us safe from their emboldened position. Heck, we can only hope they don't make good on their new threat to kidnap others.

They still have intensive training camps to create terrorists, their young boys on 9-11 are now older and have taken the place of those who have gone by the way side. So just go ahead and hop into your footy pajamas and sleep tight. President Obama has apparently got this foreign policy thing down tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This is 2014 not 2011. The war is pretty much over but I am sure there are plenty of Republicans who want to keep fighting it. Most dont seem to have much of a problem as long as the money for the wars are coming from taxpayers. We will still be spending 20 billion dollars there for the next two years. The more Republicans keep talking about Bergdahl the worst it will get for them. President could have handled the release better but it was going to happen anyways. The five guys who were released werent going to be prosecuted and had already been incarcerated 12 years.

When The US War In Afghanistan Ended - Business Insider

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe the difference between AWOL and desertion isn't important to you. Walking away from your post is not deserting.

There's some info indicating he did not intend to return, and my personal opinion is he wasn't returning, but I've yet to see anything showing military authorities concluded that's the case.
The NYT reported it:
Quote:
Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl left behind a note in his tent saying he had become disillusioned with the Army, did not support the American mission in Afghanistan and was leaving to start a new life.

...That account, provided by a former senior military officer briefed on the investigation into the private’s disappearance
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...-his-unit.html

Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So its controversial done legally and even more controversial done illegally. There was then no reason to do it illegally.
Though he didn't need approval, Congressional and/or public opposition might have forced him to back away from the deal. I don't think so, but why should he bother with controversy Before doing what he wants to do ? It's not like he cares about lying, changing laws he doesn't like, or is worried about reelection.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
No matter what the outcome of all this will be Obama is a very scary man

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That report about his letter saying he wanted to start a new life and the ones about radio chatter with him asking for someone who speaks English are part of why I believe he was a deserter. However, it's wrong to state that military authorities classified him that way.

What won't happen but should is the release of his letter and the 2010 investigation so the public who cares won't have to rely on what anonymous sources tell their favorite media outlets or WH spin.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He didn't leave a note according to the Army authorities. But hey, don't let facts interrupt your assertions.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
That report about his letter saying he wanted to start a new life and the ones about radio chatter with him asking for someone who speaks English are part of why I believe he was a deserter. However, it's wrong to state that military authorities classified him that way.
Why? That info came from military authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies