Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
ugh.. I can't believe anyone could entertain such a thought as this.. gays are people just like us but they promote something I do not agree with. I would in no way harm any person regardless of who they are ..
I was obviously kidding. I don't know how to bake cakes, but it is strange people are forced to do it.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The point that eludes some is that it should not have taken over 140 years for women to get that right. I believe you know this and would agree.
Yes I would. Again also, I support the right for gay couples to marry. What I don't support is the government forcing those that disagree into re-education classes.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,191,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Better example then.

I am hosting a large gathering of the Aryan Nation and a few other white supremacy groups. Can I force a black owned and operated soul food caterer to cater my event? Including attending and serving the guests at my event?

Still believe that a business should be forced to serve anyone who demands being served?

You are rocking this thread-
honestly I love intelligent posts such as this.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
A baker is being forced to do something against their will, in violation of their rights under the 1st Amendment.

Can I force a Kosher deli to cater a party that violates Kashruth? After all, they run a business and must serve me if I so demand.

Can I force a Muslim restaurant to cater a bar(t) mitzvah?
Then maybe the solution is for bakers who don't want to bake cakes for ss weddings to convert to a religious-specific bakery. Put a sign out front that says, "This bakery serves only Christian fundamentalists from the following denominations who adhere to the following fundamentalist rules:..."

If a bakery doesn't present itself as catering only to a particular religious population, then it must serve all who walk through the door.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,123 times
Quote:
Better example then.

I am hosting a large gathering of the Aryan Nation and a few other white supremacy groups. Can I force a black owned and operated soul food caterer to cater my event? Including attending and serving the guests at my event?

Still believe that a business should be forced to serve anyone who demands being served?
You can come up with any sort of ridiculous, stupid example you want. The law says that a company is not allowed to refuse business to customers for any reason other than a legitimate business excuse.

THE END.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM

14,568 posts, read 23,096,520 times
Quote:
Better example then.

No.

Quote:
Straw man.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Help!! Yes, that one too had an example of what happens when you eat food prepared by people you pissed off.

You need to watch Waiting.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You can come up with any sort of ridiculous, stupid example you want. The law says that a company is not allowed to refuse business to customers for any reason other than a legitimate business excuse.

THE END.
What troubles me is why do I need an excuse???

Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,210,069 times
Quote:
Question - do you reserve this same level of naked hatred for folks like Rosa Parks? MLK? Both were jailed for refusing to obey laws that upset them and made them sad.
This baker could have practiced the same civil disobedience as they did if he chose, but chose to close down the wedding cake portion of the business. He may have received a little more respect doing that frankly. I would have still disagreed as to the issue of discrimination.

The difference in the examples is Rosa Parks and MLK were trying to eliminate discrimination. The baker insisted on practicing discrimination.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What troubles me is why do I need an excuse???
Because we decided to live in civilization. If that's still over your head, there are a number of African nations that you might find more accommodating. Please seek them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies