Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,446,216 times

Advertisements

Killing is very un-human and does not come naturally to anyone.

Think about it this way. How easy is it to commit suicide? You have to want to commit suicide (make the decision) and then commit the act. For many who are severely depressed, the first step is easy = the want to commit suicide. But the second step = commit the act of killing yourself, is never easy. However, if you could make the second step easy, say create a device that painlessly kills you = the number of suicides would increase.

Murder type crimes - work in the same way. There are some people who would want to commit crimes and kill people for a variety of reasons. But how easy is it to commit the act? Having weapons at your disposal does make it very easy = increase in rates of murder.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 PM

29,773 posts, read 14,835,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are glutton for punishment, arent you? i like that.

LOL, just slow at work and very concerned on this topic since it does touch close to home in a couple of ways.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Killing is very un-human and does not come naturally to anyone.

Think about it this way. How easy is it to commit suicide? You have to want to commit suicide (make the decision) and then commit the act. For many who are severely depressed, the first step is easy = the want to commit suicide. But the second step = commit the act of killing yourself, is never easy. However, if you could make the second step easy, say create a device that painlessly kills you = the number of suicides would increase.

Murder type crimes - work in the same way. There are some people who would want to commit crimes and kill people for a variety of reasons. But how easy is it to commit the act? Having weapons at your disposal does make it very easy = increase in rates of murder.
But what about helping the people in the first place ? Why are they depressed, why are they angry enough to commit murder ? Does that matter ? With your thinking, take a person that likes to steal things... eliminate their hands and they no longer steal ? Wouldn't teaching them that stealing is wrong in the first place ?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 2,182 times
But these have to be fit into the categories where they belong. The reasons for the actions are dependent upon the circumstances. Bullying, poor family support, mental health, side affects from most prescribed medications on the market today. I grew up talking to people in person, not on a phone or texting. We are losing our humanity.

Last edited by igiveachuck; 06-11-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 12:44 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,274,757 times
Goodness, I guess I touched a nerve. You're even more interested in slinging personal insults at me than you are in diverting attention away from your gun fanaticism!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
But what about helping the people in the first place ? Why are they depressed, why are they angry enough to commit murder ? Does that matter ? With your thinking, take a person that likes to steal things... eliminate their hands and they no longer steal ? Wouldn't teaching them that stealing is wrong in the first place ?
You can help people as much as you want. Is there any society in the world where crime is ZERO? No!

Weapons and hands are not the same thing. By cutting off someone's hands, you are committing a crime yourself. If a kid steals candy and you break their finger for it .... chances are they will not steal candy for a long time. While effective, it is in-human. I am not talking about violence for violence or crime for crime.

You are making this more complicated than this needs to be.

Say there are two normal people in a room. And for some reason they start arguing. The argument escalates to the point that they start exchanging blows. Both get arrested for assault.

Now, if you simulate the same situation with a weapon, say a knife in the room. Chances are that the outcome would be far more worse.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Goodness, I guess I touched a nerve. You're even more interested in slinging personal insults at me than you are in diverting attention away from your gun fanaticism!
really ? sorry that is the one thing I haven't done in these threads ... sling insults at you.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

6,760 posts, read 8,621,025 times
Quote:
You can help people as much as you want. Is there any society in the world where crime is ZERO? No!

Weapons and hands are not the same thing. By cutting off someone's hands, you are committing a crime yourself.

Say there are two normal people in a room. And for some reason they start arguing. The argument escalates to the point that they start exchanging blows. Both get arrested for assault.

Now, if you simulate the same situation with a weapon, say a knife in the room. Chances are that the outcome would be far more severe.
Or a chair, or a bottle, or a lamp, or a trophy, or a rock, or a stick.....

The object isn't at fault, it is the fault of the individual that chooses to use the object. The object has no will nor any means of moving itself to cause any harm to anybody.

If that person cannot make a rational decision due to mental illness, then they will make the wrong decision. Those people need to be under a doctor's care or put in a facility where they can improve without endangering anyone else.

If the person is rational with no mental defect or illness, then their decision to use a weapon of any kind including an automobile, is based upon their own warped and possibly evil thought process and those are the folks that should be removed from society as they have exhibited that they have no empathy for the suffering they cause others, it's a form of entertainment to them.
One could argue that such a dissconnect is in itself a form of mental illness.

The other factor is emotion. If a normally rational person in the heat of the moment does harm to someone else, it is still their decision to do that harm, not the match or car or whatever they use to inflict pain on someone else.

The tool anyone uses to kill or injure is meaningless in the face of the fact that the individual chose to use that tool to inflict harm on another person.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Weapons and hands are not the same thing. By cutting off someone's hands, you are committing a crime yourself. If a kid steals candy and you break their finger for it .... chances are they will not steal candy for a long time. While effective, it is in-human. I am not talking about violence for violence or crime for crime.

Now, if you simulate the same situation with a weapon, say a knife in the room. Chances are that the outcome would be far more worse.
I carry a firearm and a knife pretty much 24/7 as well as my wife and guess what... not a damn thing has happened. Again , what you are saying points to the character of a person and where does that start... with parenting or lack of. Couple that with some mental illness, throw some meds in there, some bullying and you have a recipe for disaster.
Level headed , mentally healthy people do not mass murder...

Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Or a chair, or a bottle, or a lamp, or a trophy, or a rock, or a stick.....
Sure. In a fight, would you want to have a chair, bottle, lamp OR a gun/knife/sword?

Knives and Guns make it easier to kill vs chairs and bottles. How did the army curb the number of suicides? Reduced access to firearms. Why? They make it easier to kill.
“There are two ways to reduce suicide: You can make it harder for them to die in an attempt, or you can heal underlying distress,” said Dr. Matthew Miller, the associate director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center at the Harvard School of Public Health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies