Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 02:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Post #5 is good these events don't jump out of the bushes people saw them coming and did nothing

Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Post #5 is good these events don't jump out of the bushes people saw them coming and did nothing
I would agree with this. There's a major study somewhere on the internet that looked at warning signs for school shootings. Frequently there were warning signs: threats and warnings by the perpetrator, telling other kids of their plans, blogs and diaries, procuring weapons.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 2,179 times
Agreed where was the intervention? Some of these people where obviously unstable and dangerous.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:14 PM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think the basic violence level of humanity has changed. I'm thinking of disgruntled kids in the past. They might have expressed their unhappiness with stealing someone's bike, or throwing rocks through windows, maybe arson, or settling things with a fist fight, or if worst came to worst pulled a knife on someone.

I agree, but now they have no value on human life and don't care if they take one. What has caused them to cross that bridge ?

When you add a gun to the equation, things become deadlier, because guns are the great equalizer---they are efficient killing weapons, designed for only one purpose, killing.

Firearms were easier to get 20-30 years ago then now... if kids have always been disgruntled why the sudden surge in mass shootings now ?

The same goes for gang violence. There have always been gangs, there has always been violence. What's new is that over the last few decades kids in the gangs are apparently getting handguns quite easily.

This has always been the case, there are more restrictions on the books now then ever for firearms. What we have are people that don't care about breaking the laws.

Nevertheless homicide rates are declining. I don't know about the incidence or deadliness of mass shootings though.

Yes, as a whole they are declining, that is why with the sudden surge of mass shootings it points to other issues. Why is this segment of young adults choosing to kill ?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint
I don't think the basic violence level of humanity has changed. I'm thinking of disgruntled kids in the past. They might have expressed their unhappiness with stealing someone's bike, or throwing rocks through windows, maybe arson, or settling things with a fist fight, or if worst came to worst pulled a knife on someone.

When you add a gun to the equation, things become deadlier, because guns are the great equalizer---they are efficient killing weapons, designed for only one purpose, killing.
You are right scarabchuck.. According to Liberals, firearms ownership is down. Years ago, it was common for teens to own and shoot guns, and again, according to Liberals, there were more homes with guns. ellemint's explanation, like everything the antigunners come up with, isn't based on facts or common sense.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Has the incidence of mass shootings in the U.S. increased? Before discussing why this is happening, perhaps first someone should show some data that this is indeed the case.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igiveachuck View Post
But these have to be fit into the categories where they belong. The reasons for the actions are dependent upon the circumstances. Bullying, poor family support, mental health, side affects from most prescribed medications on the market today. I grew up talking to people in person, not on a phone or texting. We are losing our humanity.
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Goodness, I guess I touched a nerve. You're even more interested in slinging personal insults at me than you are in diverting attention away from your gun fanaticism!
oh please, you are barely important enough to recognize as being a typical off the wall and over the top frightened liberal. you probably flinch at your own shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Make a case for this statement. Provide evidence. I have an open mind.

Mass shootings can be related to many things:
- mental health
- lack of jobs for youth
- family, etc.

But you seem to be ignoring one very important cause: availability of guns
gun dont matter as i have said before. if i wanted to kill a bunch of people, i certainly would not use a firearm. i would use a chemical bomb of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

The same goes for gang violence. There have always been gangs, there has always been violence. What's new is that over the last few decades kids in the gangs are apparently getting handguns quite easily.

Nevertheless homicide rates are declining. I don't know about the incidence or deadliness of mass shootings though.
i agree with what you said here. back in my day we never thought about using guns to settle anything. fist fights were common though, and we didnt even deal with knives either, we had too much respect for others. it was one thing to fight with someone and give them a black eye or a bloody nose, but usually after the fight was over, it was over. we didnt go back looking for revenge, and we certainly didnt want to kill anyone, thus the non use of weapons.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You are right scarabchuck.. According to Liberals, firearms ownership is down. Years ago, it was common for teens to own and shoot guns, and again, according to Liberals, there were more homes with guns. ellemint's explanation, like everything the antigunners come up with, isn't based on facts or common sense.
actually i find the ellemints observations are thoughtful and fairly accurate. that person can be reasoned with unlike jmqueen who only deal s from emotion.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
My baby will be sixteen here in a few. She will get a brand new gun for her birthday. Among other things of course. Many are scared of guns............nothing to be scared about em............teach your kids how to use em and what they can do and all will be well. Liberals are a lost cause.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Isn't that the obvious thing though ? Guns were used. Eliminating that doesn't help the problem of WHY we are seeing a trend of young adults doing this. Or does that not matter ? Do we just keep moving forward eliminating the rights of the law abiding because we choose to ignore a growing problem in a segment of our population ? It's obvious that these individuals have already made the decision to kill (a big problem there) and choose a firearm to do it. Eliminate that choice (how ?) and then they will start being creative.... and that is a scary thought.
You want to know WHY a crime was committed or you want to PREVENT the crime? If you want to study criminal psychology, I can refer you to many leading programs at many schools across the country. But that's not what we are talking about here.

Your basic assumption about increased violence tied into family, culture, etc is flawed. Overall, nearly every city in the USA has seen a drop in crime over the past many years. Why is that if everything is so wrong with young people and society?

You see an upsurge in mass gun violence not because of an upsurge in mental illness or family breakdown. But mainly because of an upsurge in gun availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies