Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I carry a firearm and a knife pretty much 24/7 as well as my wife and guess what... not a damn thing has happened. Again , what you are saying points to the character of a person and where does that start... with parenting or lack of. Couple that with some mental illness, throw some meds in there, some bullying and you have a recipe for disaster.
Level headed , mentally healthy people do not mass murder...
I walk around and swim in swimming pools. I haven't drowned in one yet. But many have.

Mental illness is one of the problems. Not the only problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Sure. In a fight, would you want to have a chair, bottle, lamp OR a gun/knife/sword?

Knives and Guns make it easier to kill vs chairs and bottles. How did the army curb the number of suicides? Reduced access to firearms. Why? They make it easier to kill.
“There are two ways to reduce suicide: You can make it harder for them to die in an attempt, or you can heal underlying distress,” said Dr. Matthew Miller, the associate director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center at the Harvard School of Public Health.
First off, I don't fight. Pretty much the only I would is if my family or my life is in danger. At that time I will use anything to protect. And since it is my right to carry a firearm , I choose that.

A close friends son commited suicide , two years ago. There were firearms in the house..he chose a rope. Had his parents seen the signs which I admit weren't that easy to see, he would still be here. If there were no ropes in the house would he still be here..perhaps.
Start placing the blame on where it belongs, the break down of our family stucture and how society is changing.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I walk around and swim in swimming pools. I haven't drowned in one yet. But many have.

Mental illness is one of the problems. Not the only problem.
I agree, I think I mentioned three others in my post you quoted.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,394 times
Quote:
Start placing the blame on where it belongs, the break down of our family stucture and how society is changing.
Make a case for this statement. Provide evidence. I have an open mind.

Mass shootings can be related to many things:
- mental health
- lack of jobs for youth
- family, etc.

But you seem to be ignoring one very important cause: availability of guns

Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
really ? sorry that is the one thing I haven't done in these threads ... sling insults at you.
Wanna bet?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:

- mental health
- lack of jobs for youth
- family, etc.

Yes, they ignored it on the previous thread, too. Sometimes quite masterfully!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:

- mental health
- lack of jobs for youth
- family, etc.

Isn't that the obvious thing though ? Guns were used. Eliminating that doesn't help the problem of WHY we are seeing a trend of young adults doing this. Or does that not matter ? Do we just keep moving forward eliminating the rights of the law abiding because we choose to ignore a growing problem in a segment of our population ? It's obvious that these individuals have already made the decision to kill (a big problem there) and choose a firearm to do it. Eliminate that choice (how ?) and then they will start being creative.... and that is a scary thought.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wanna bet?
Sure..

Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 2,180 times
Quote:

- mental health
- lack of jobs for youth
- family, etc.

What do you mean by availability?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Isn't that the obvious thing though ? Guns were used. Eliminating that doesn't help the problem of WHY we are seeing a trend of young adults doing this. Or does that not matter ? Do we just keep moving forward eliminating the rights of the law abiding because we choose to ignore a growing problem in a segment of our population ? It's obvious that these individuals have already made the decision to kill (a big problem there) and choose a firearm to do it. Eliminate that choice (how ?) and then they will start being creative.... and that is a scary thought.

I don't think the basic violence level of humanity has changed. I'm thinking of disgruntled kids in the past. They might have expressed their unhappiness with stealing someone's bike, or throwing rocks through windows, maybe arson, or settling things with a fist fight, or if worst came to worst pulled a knife on someone.

When you add a gun to the equation, things become deadlier, because guns are the great equalizer---they are efficient killing weapons, designed for only one purpose, killing.

The same goes for gang violence. There have always been gangs, there has always been violence. What's new is that over the last few decades kids in the gangs are apparently getting handguns quite easily.

Nevertheless homicide rates are declining. I don't know about the incidence or deadliness of mass shootings though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies