Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

In this weeks issue of Time magazine there is a 30 page special report on "The Smarter Home" which talks about the well connected home of the future where senosor and cameras will bring such wonders as helpful advice on diet by analyzing what you are cooking or eating for breakfast, lunch or diner, it will determine whether you are taking all your medications or need refills and authomatically order them, whether the house needs a good cleaning and take care of that too, and tight control of heating air conditioning lighting and water usage. If you sleep too long you might get a visit from a home medical aide or if you are chronically ill like are diabettic you will know that the sensors you wear or the camera will determine if you behavior or even if you sweat will summon help if needed. Like wise if you fall or slump in your chair help will be summoned. If an intruder is detected police will be summonded. Now I got the feeling that being under 24 hour 7 days a week, 365 days a year survailence might be an unprecedented loss or both privacy and ultimately liberty. The ultimate nanny state clothed in the soft security blanket and its all for your own good. Maybe in the not too distant future >>>>

Smith 100427 you are not touching your toes, people in your age group should be able to touch their toes.
You are not trying hard enough. Remember what our boys are having to go through on the Malabar Front!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Loss of liberty? Nanny state? Nobody is forcing you to have this kind of technology in your home so your argument is invalid.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In this weeks issue of Time magazine there is a 30 page special report on "The Smarter Home" which talks about the well connected home of the future where senosor and cameras will bring such wonders as helpful advice on diet by analyzing what you are cooking or eating for breakfast, lunch or diner, it will determine whether you are taking all your medications or need refills and authomatically order them, whether the house needs a good cleaning and take care of that too, and tight control of heating air conditioning lighting and water usage. If you sleep too long you might get a visit from a home medical aide or if you are chronically ill like are diabettic you will know that the sensors you wear or the camera will determine if you behavior or even if you sweat will summon help if needed. Like wise if you fall or slump in your chair help will be summoned. If an intruder is detected police will be summonded. Now I got the feeling that being under 24 hour 7 days a week, 365 days a year survailence might be an unprecedented loss or both privacy and ultimately liberty. The ultimate nanny state clothed in the soft security blanket and its all for your own good. Maybe in the not too distant future >>>>

Smith 100427 you are not touching your toes, people in your age group should be able to touch their toes.
You are not trying hard enough. Remember what our boys are having to go through on the Malabar Front!!!
Actually, some of this is very good. But I really would like a robot in my smart home to do all the cleaning. Why is there no mention of that

Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
All of this but the cleaning happens in the book "1984".

Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Yes, I can see the building codes as revised for the year 2100...
Don't forget, all the technology in the new cars is there "for the good of the planet"!
There are tv spots telling us to make sure we rent an apartment in a NO SMOKING ALLOWED building. In fact, I have seen some that show NO SMOKING inside AND OUTSIDE! (My youngest daughter lives in one of those.)
It would not surprise me one bit to see such a house that forces the occupants to live and eat with an eye on health at all times.
I am just glad I undoubtedly won't live to see it!
Then again, if the AGW people are correct, the technology will never come to pass, because there won't be anybody left to build it, and no power to run it.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, some of this is very good. But I really would like a robot in my smart home to do all the cleaning. Why is there no mention of that
Don't you think it is ironic that people want robots to clean their homes because it is cheaper than hiring a real person to do it over a long period of time... and yet, they also talk about having a higher minimum wage... its like, I don't want to eat at McDonalds anymore because it is getting too expensive, but I think they should make $15/hour... Anyhow, if you have a smarter home, you are making a choice to give up a little privacy... same thing like having the internet, it was your choice to give up some privacy... just make sure you safeguard as much as you can otherwise unplug yourself...

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I feel bad for people who have to go home to listen to some PC generated "smart house" after an entire day of being controlled by a computer at work. I weep for the future.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
All of this but the cleaning happens in the book "1984".
Not quite. But 1984 is one of my favorite books.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Don't you think it is ironic that people want robots to clean their homes because it is cheaper than hiring a real person to do it over a long period of time... and yet, they also talk about having a higher minimum wage... its like, I don't want to eat at McDonalds anymore because it is getting too expensive, but I think they should make $15/hour... Anyhow, if you have a smarter home, you are making a choice to give up a little privacy... same thing like having the internet, it was your choice to give up some privacy... just make sure you safeguard as much as you can otherwise unplug yourself...
Good grief, I was talking about me not having to clean. It was a joke

Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Loss of liberty? Nanny state? Nobody is forcing you to have this kind of technology in your home so your argument is invalid.
Smart meter? No choice there and that paves the way for control of appliances, climate control etc.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't expect Big Brother to monitoring my electric usage and turning the heat down in my house any time soon. These things come about slowly over time. If 20 years ago if I made the prediction to you a bar would not be able to allow smoking or 10 years ago predicted someone was going to try and make a law limiting the size of the soda you could buy you would have laughed at me for being nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies