Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you don't those who fight for our freedom aren't heroes. I'm not sure what this has to do with being liberal though. Those who are willing to fight wars for the rest of us without regard to the loss they might have... losing limbs, brain damaged and even the loss of their lives....yeah I consider them heroes. It's really appalling and shameful that you don't.
you are making judgements against me that are unwarranted. all you need to is read back through my posts on the military, and yes there are some there, to properly ascertain my views on the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Police generally act on their own discretion in the moment. Soldiers, at least the ones most likely to be in harm's way, often have more or less specific orders on what to do and how to react to a situation. When they do act poorly of their own initiative they do usually end up getting as much if not more heat than cops doing the same.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are making judgements against me that are unwarranted. all you need to is read back through my posts on the military, and yes there are some there, to properly ascertain my views on the military.
Why would I read your back posts. I'm addressing your post in this thread.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Not all cops or military personal are heroes, some are a bad fit, and some are scum and should be called out no matter where they are serving.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Aint easy being a cop or a soldier.........something some never realize. Cops never get put on the news for the good things they do only the bad.............same with our troops. I give em the benefit of the doubt usually. Like the prev poster said though when they do bad things they should be taken to task. Most do good things.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
What's the difference really? American troops are just the global cops. It seems perfectly politically correct to hate the police or even doctors but if you ever suggest that a soldier is anything short of a hero worthy of lavish adoration people think you're a horrible person or a traitor.
I think you make an interesting and valid observation. I have no real explanation for the difference but my spouse put forth a theory: The US Military is so beloved because it is active on foreign soil. If the military were ever active combatants here, even following the exact same laws they do now, they'd be uniformly hated.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Aint easy being a cop or a soldier.........something some never realize. Cops never get put on the news for the good things they do only the bad.............same with our troops. I give em the benefit of the doubt usually. Like the prev poster said though when they do bad things they should be taken to task. Most do good things.
Pretty much.
Soldiers in battle operate in a world where everything they were ever taught that is taboo is now a norm. I praise soldiers because of the many thousands who serve it is very few who bring shame. You show me a unit that has brought shame and I'll show you a unit with poor leadership.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
I spent 8 years in the reserves..........never got sent into combat and never wanted to be. We were up at Fort McCoy getting ready to be sent to Desert Storm but the bombers blew everything up so never went. Whole different world I would guess when you go into combat. Why I was never a cop either. I saw some parents beating their kids I'd probably not last long........lol

Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you don't those who fight for our freedom aren't heroes. I'm not sure what this has to do with being liberal though. Those who are willing to fight wars for the rest of us without regard to the loss they might have... losing limbs, brain damaged and even the loss of their lives....yeah I consider them heroes. It's really appalling and shameful that you don't.
People who kill for patriotic delusions are the lowest form of life.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
People who kill for patriotic delusions are the lowest form of life.
I have no idea what this means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies