Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I saw it ,too, and thought sections of it were very good, while other sections were too long and tedious. I also found it lacking in many ways, as the fact we'll aid countries who are not friendly to us when they suffer a disaster should have been front and center an item in the movie diffentiating us.
Yes, the movie is very good and, yes, history can be tedious . This country has always been quick to jump in and aid in any disaster, and the rest of the world knew they could count on us. That's no longer the case.
They no longer feel they can count on us. Question is, when we think of what the world would be without America (as we used to know it), who will back us up when we need it? We WILL need it, having decimated our military as enemies recognize our weakness and move to take advantage of it. It was only through strength that we were able to keep them at bay and enjoy relative security.

There's a lot to think about if this country loses its exceptionalism and sinks into mediocrity. That's not the fundamental change that most of us were hoping for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You are deluded!

Costco's CEO becomes a progressive hero, Internet meme - SmartPlanet

He's being called a "progressives hero"

I guess the bottom line subverted his insane position.
That article is about a CEO paying employees living wages instead of having employees earn so little they need food stamps, and earning a very high, but not astronomical salary for himself. That type of behavior is good for the economy, and many people approve.

This conspiracy theory about the book being removed due to politics is utter nonsense. The book didn't sell well, self space was cleared for other material. Later, a movie increased demand for the book, it was reordered. End of story.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
BTW, he came here for the same reason as everyone else - freedom. He loves the country he came to, and sees it being destroyed by the powers that be within this country that criticize it and want to fundamentally change it forever.

I'd like to see it stay as it was, warts and all -- it's still the best place in the world.
His aim is similar to that of other conservatives; that is, to conflate ignorance with fact, to justify why an entire class of people should remain oppressed. People like D'Souza come from places where they still think less civilized in many cases, and do not understand the evolutionary process of why people should not be oppressed. For example, he'll apply his ignorant way of thinking, suggesting that gays are not oppressed. They have the same rights as straight people to get married, they just have to marry a member of the opposite sex. Well, truth is, most people in this country now recognize that homosexuals are not biologically capable of sexual attraction to the opposite sex, therefore should be allowed to marry a member of the same sex. There has never been any proof that this affects the rest of the population negatively at all. Prohibiting SSM discriminates in two ways: it discriminates based on the gender you were born, meaning if you are born male, you can only marry a female, and it discriminates based on sexual orientation meaning homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. It's just that some people can't keep their minds out of other peoples bedrooms, thus insist on dictating how others should live their lives. Most people consider the U.S. a bit more evolved than most developing countries, particularly when it comes to human rights.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
His aim is similar to that of other conservatives; that is, to conflate ignorance with fact, to justify why an entire class of people should remain oppressed. People like D'Souza come from places where they still think less civilized in many cases, and do not understand the evolutionary process of why people should not be oppressed. For example, he'll apply his ignorant way of thinking, suggesting that gays are not oppressed. They have the same rights as straight people to get married, they just have to marry a member of the opposite sex. Well, truth is, most people in this country now recognize that homosexuals are not biologically capable of sexual attraction to the opposite sex, therefore should be allowed to marry a member of the same sex. There has never been any proof that this affects the rest of the population negatively at all. Prohibiting SSM discriminates in two ways: it discriminates based on the gender you were born, meaning if you are born male, you can only marry a female, and it discriminates based on sexual orientation meaning homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. It's just that some people can't keep their minds out of other peoples bedrooms, thus insist on dictating how others should live their lives. Most people consider the U.S. a bit more evolved than most developing countries, particularly when it comes to human rights.
It took a long time for someone from the gay agenda to bring this into the discussion. Nice attempt to derail the discussion, but you're waaaaay off topic.

Besides, I don't think you've ever seen the film so you can't speak intelligently about it, pro or con.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
He's gotta be the goofiest guy on the planet. He's about as maladroit as they come. I've never understood how anyone can hold back laughter anytime he utters a word.

You just know he never had a girlfriend before he got out of college.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He's gotta be the goofiest guy on the planet. He's about as maladroit as they come. I've never understood how anyone can hold back laughter anytime he utters a word.

Meh.

He's just a standard right wing moron who says stupid things in a condescending manner. There's no more substance to him than there is to someone like Coulter or Malkin. He's completely intellectually bankrupt and can't answer a question to save his life, but he dodges and BS's like no other.

I saw him attempt to have a live debate once. I felt embarrassed for him. He spent the entire time dodging, deflecting, lying, and spouting illogical nonsense (he was trying to argue that near death experiences are concrete evidence of an afterlife).

Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how I feel when liberals start spouting off.

Quote:
So now we know your criteria for intelligence and success.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Meh.

He's just a standard right wing moron who says stupid things in a condescending manner. There's no more substance to him than there is to someone like Coulter or Malkin. He's completely intellectually bankrupt and can't answer a question to save his life, but he dodges and BS's like no other.

I saw him attempt to have a live debate once. I felt embarrassed for him. He spent the entire time dodging and deflecting and spouting illogical nonsense (he was trying to argue that near death experiences are concrete evidence of an afterlife).
Same here. I think it was Maher I saw him on...The audience laughed him off the stage every time he finished a sentence..

Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's exactly how I feel when liberals start spouting off.

So now we know your criteria for intelligence and success.
Yeah..I use Dinesh D'Souza as the paragon of what intelligence and success should be.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah..I use Dinesh D'Souza as the paragon of what intelligence and success should be.
Then there's hope...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies