Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not gonna die if they read my cholesterol level wrong. It is a question of odds. The blood may very well have been tested but why take a chance? Am I not allowed to choose my donor?
Testing for diabetes, HIV, std's, white blood cell count, etc. Yes, those all can affect your health. Blood donors are anonymous. Is your name on that bag of blood when you donate at a blood drive? No.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Sounds like there can be closeted people who said "I am straight" even though it is way more socially acceptable to be gay, lesbian or even bi these days. I just find it weird why the CDC did it because being gay is not a mental illness and has been for forty years.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
There was an old joke about masturbation: 90% admit doing it, 10% lie about it.
How many are lying? NJ Governor McGreevey publicly donated blood before he was outed. Do you think he answered the "gay sex" question truthfully?
What does being gay have anything to do with donating blood? Do they ask if you are gay on the questionnaire or something?

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Am I not allowed to choose my donor?
How would that even work? Should each bag of blood not only have a person's blood type on it, but also have a picture along with their age, sex, race, sexual orientation, bmi, political party, college they went to, hobbies, etc...? Or should it just be that anytime you need blood they send you to pick a person out of a lineup and then you wait for their lab work to come back before receiving the blood you need.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
What does being gay have anything to do with donating blood? Do they ask if you are gay on the questionnaire or something?
Yes. If you are male they ask if you have participated in gay sex and if you are female they ask if you have had sex with a male that has participated in gay sex. I don't know the exact wording they use, but it is a question they ask, along with the standard have you been out of the country, are you taking any medication, do you have any known illnesses, etc.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes. If you are male they ask if you have participated in gay sex and if you are female they ask if you have had sex with a male that has participated in gay sex. I don't know the exact wording they use, but it is a question they ask, along with the standard have you been out of the country, are you taking any medication, do you have any known illnesses, etc.
This is exactly it. I think part of the problem is that they still use the old stigma that homosexual and bisexual men are more likely to get A.I.D.S. than heterosexual men. Though this is just my opinion so I can be wrong.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
One year I couldn't donate because I had traveled to Malaysia & got a tattoo while I was there. I had no idea Malaysia was on their list of countries to watch for if you've had a tattoo.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM

52 posts, read 56,998 times
Actually, if you know that you are going to be having major surgery or having a baby, or just a planned blood transfusion due to a medical condition such as thalassemia you can indeed have blood donated and saved just for you. So if it is planned, yes you may pick your donor. Otherwise, for the unplanned trauma your SOL on who your donor is.

I also think 1.6% seems a lil low. I would think that since it has been the CDC all along tracking the number of HIV positive patients since the disease started, and finding the largest percentage in the LGBT population, that it would make sense for them to also track the number of LGBT's.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
I think sexual orientation can be related to disease control, and that's why they did it. I'd trust the CDC with that information over any other federal department. The study is based on a small % of the population, so that always has to be taken into consideration, but I think it's a believable number. As far as government agencies go I always thought the CDC did a good job.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:59 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
I think this CDC article explains a lot as well.

CDC ? HIV in the United States ? Statistics Overview ? Statistics Center ? HIV/AIDS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies