Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times

Advertisements

Unless people can find a job, they're pretty highly likely to lapse back in to criminal ways or be supported by tax dollars. They've paid their time and should have a chance to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Unless people can find a job, they're pretty highly likely to lapse back in to criminal ways or be supported by tax dollars. They've paid their time and should have a chance to get a job.

And I sit on the fence in regards to this issue. I guess it would depend on the crime, and how long ago. There are those in life who do deserve a second chance. And you're right, when folks are desperate, they tend to lapse back into to their criminal ways.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how many criminals have gotten jobs in the past, and committed crimes against their employers and the customers, and how many employers have been sued as a result? and how many businesses have lost business when people found out they hired criminals? its a liability question for the employer. if you could end lawsuits against businesses because an employee commits a crime, then you might have something.
I totally agree. If employers are now required to hire people they would rather not because they believe they are a risk then there needs to be protections against them being sued.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post

If you owned a small business where your employee has to enter someone's home while they are not there or immediately present are you going to take that risk? Keep in mind if the employee gets caught stealing and it ends up in the local newspaper that's probably going to have drastic effect on your business. You're in the same boat now as the convict where no one is going to want to trust you.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I totally agree. If employers are now required to hire people they would rather not because they believe they are a risk then there needs to be protections against them being sued.
Being sued is only one thing.

How bad would you feel if an employee when back to a home and hurt a child???

Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Without a long winded rant about getting rid of every "crime against bureaucracy" on the books, and limiting felonies to only those actions that directly harm other people, not paperwork, always remember - a job is not a right, it is the property of the owners of the business, to do with as they please.

If an employer doesn't wish to hire someone because they are a felon, have a sketchy background check, or wore a color to the interview that the HR manager finds unattractive...SO BE IT. A job still isn't a right.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
the government who declines military entry because of tattoos wants everyone else to hire convucted criminals.

the same government, who, in many states such as NJ, denies firearm purchase permits to someone in their 40s with a clean record but convicted of stealing at tire when he was 18 yrs old is telling employers to hire convicted criminals.

Yep, a member of the Bloods street gang can come and shampoo your rugs or replace your windshield.

More guaranteed income for lawyers no matter which way it goes!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I'm just wondering what some of the thoughts and opinions are from Liberals and Conservatives on this matter. Most employers around the country will not hire ex-felons regardless of what they were convicted of, when they were convicted, and if that conviction is relevant to the job. Do you believe employers should have this right?
If I owned a business, I certainly wouldn't want a criminal working for me. Maybe years ago, I would have taken pity, but not today, we've got to to many people out there who are criminals....and I wouldn't trust them around my business, my employees, and my home and family.

Way to many people today have become weak and afraid of obeying rules...and employers have gone astray, rewarding bad behavior....good guys don't win any more...

So, no, if I owned a business, I would not want a convicted criminal working for me....b/c what he does, how he acts and what he says, will reflect on my business.

Integrity, and rules were not made to be broken or abused....to many people have lost the concept that their actions reflect and can hurt so many other people.....

Laws are laws and are to be followed to the letter....

Oh and instead of rewarding bad behavior, I'd dock or credit who deserves credit, the good guy to me, is the winner, as for way to long, the snake has been getting all the rewards, and not able to work together as a team by stepping on others, hurting the lives of others, to get where they are going! No thank you!

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-17-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
From what I have seen on job applications they only ask if a person has been convicted of a felony and what the nature of the felony was, misdomeaners are usually not going to count against a job seeker. But yes I do believe an employer should have the right to aslk and to verify their background through a background check, they are libable for the employees actions and could also be the victim of someone they hire.
There are businesses out there that are willing to hire those convicted of crimes and the state can help them find out which companies are out there.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I'm just wondering what some of the thoughts and opinions are from Liberals and Conservatives on this matter. Most employers around the country will not hire ex-felons regardless of what they were convicted of, when they were convicted, and if that conviction is relevant to the job. Do you believe employers should have this right?
Yes. How would you feel being the fellow employee of a rapist? Would you leave anything near your workplace if your fellow employee was a thief? Would you go into the company's parking garage at night with a mugger? Let's say you were assaulted by a fellow employee. Would you sue your employer or the federal government? How about white collar crime? Would you employ a bookkeeper who had been in jail for embezzlement? A school bus driver who was either a pedophile or committed vehicular manslaughter when drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies