Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,858,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Exactly. "What, you're saying that because I'm (insert race here that is not white), I'm too stupid to earn my own good grades?" If anyone said that they were going to give me grades based on my gender, I'd leave that university.

Well, it's on the UW's own website. (Last I knew, uwsa dot edu was the actual website to the school.) Go read it, it was linked here:

When you look under their "Diversity" paragraph, you're right, you won't find it. But if you read on, further down the exact same page titled, "Working Definitions for Inclusive Excellence", and under the paragraph titled, "Equity", and sub paragraph titled, "Representational Equity", you will see:

Emphasis mine. You can deny it all you want, it's right there, in black and white, for all to see.
The point is not whether or not the language exists, the point is what is meant by the statement. The intent of the author was not to just distribute grades based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,609,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It depends on the school. One of my professors failed nearly half the class and gave no curve to adjust to grades.
I think it might also depend on the courses, I have only seen curves of 10+ points in science classes, not much in other fields.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
It's not UW writing this.

This is coming from higher up EDU think tank work. In this case funded by NSF and Gates Foundation.
It deals with the Latina/Latino student.

Estela Mara Bensimon | Center for Urban Education

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The point is not whether or not the language exists, the point is what is meant by the statement. The intent of the author was not to just distribute grades based on race.
That implies that such distribution of grades by race is intended.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM

25,888 posts, read 16,605,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a different topic than the one this thread was created on.
Well, it would be pretty difficult to favor them gradewise if they were fair about admissions and they weren't there to begin with.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 PM

53,000 posts, read 34,824,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That implies that such distribution of grades by race is intended.
'not to just' indeed implies exactly that.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, it would be pretty difficult to favor them gradewise if they were fair about admissions and they weren't there to begin with.
If you support merit based admissions you are called a racist.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,279,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Oh please don't "p**s down my neck and call it rain". It's exactly that. This kind of thing is the left's Newspeak double-talk verbal wall paper they use to talk about race. You think we were born frickin' yesterday!? I guess next you're going to tell me you've got a bridge to sell me.... I knew the left was just out and out lying at this point. No point in even listening to their polysyllabic blah anymore.
What are you ranting about? It has already been shown that the OP was incorrect and that this has nothing to do with grading....plus it has been in effect since 2009. Not really new news.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,279,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Honestly I think there should be no bias with admissions. Every applicant shouldn't have their name, sex, or race shown in their application process. It should purely go off of their merits.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,815,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's Wisconsin. I wonder what their race based hockey tryouts are like.
Oh PALEAZE!

You mock the fact that liberals are racists, posing as the champions of racism? What a fk'n deal! Historically Democrats have been the most racist sons of b|tches on the planet, and because they were able to rebrand themselves as being something else... you can only come up with hockey?

Holy sh:t, are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies