Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Maybe not now, but what they have on the university website certainly could allow for such a thing to occur.

The professor who highlighted this did a good thing.

Now that it seems that the university is distancing itself from that policy, maybe they will get rid of the wording altogether.
The quote that the OP provided isn't even in the UW document: http://diversityframework.wisc.edu/d...ay192014_2.pdf

Do a simple find search. Not in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The quote that the OP provided isn't even in the UW document: http://diversityframework.wisc.edu/d...ay192014_2.pdf

Do a simple find search. Not in there.
It is right on the university website.

Definitions for Inclusive Excellence - Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity and Student Success - University of Wisconsin System

Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Perhaps you don't realize it but the University of Wisconsin-Madison' basic web address is wisc.edu. That is not the basic address included in your link, hence that quote isn't even on UW-Madison's website.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h
I rarely agree with you... but in this case you nailed it!!! God damn right, skin color should have nothing to do with anything!!! FK me, will wonders never cease, urban and I agreeing... there's hope for the world yet!

I'm sure there are many things we agree on, but at this point you can't even take a compliment without being snarky.

At either end of the spectrum there is humbleness and arrogance. Which do you think you are?

As for the grades being tied to race, I posted several links showing they absolutely are, yet here you are denying any proof has been posted.

See, that's why I was amazed that we agreed; It's such a rare thing!
My apologies, you misread my post. I had no intention of it sounding snarky to you.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you don't realize it but the University of Wisconsin-Madison' basic web address is University of Wisconsin. That is not the basic address included in your link, hence that quote isn't even on UW-Madison's website.
Are you claiming that UW-Madison is not part of the University of Wisconsin system?

http://www.wisconsin.edu/campuses/

Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Sorry, but when was the last time you were in a college classroom?

Grades are not being awarded based upon race. I know you want to be outraged, but you'll have to find something else to accomplish this, preferably something real.
When was the last time you actually took the time to comprehend what was said?

Here, let's revisit the actual post:

Quote:
A new policy at the University of Wisconsin - Madison states that good grades should be distributed equally among students of different races.

The policy, named the “Framework for Diversity and Inclusive Excellence,” calls for “proportional participation of historically underrepresented racial-ethnic groups at all levels of an institution, including high status special programs, high-demand majors, and in the distribution of grades.”

"Under the ‘equity’ policy, it seems that some of those who want to study this field would be told that they’ll have to choose another major because computer science already has “enough” students from their ‘difference’ group," UW - Madison professor W. Lee Hansen wrote about his concerns with the policy in a piece published Wednesday.

UW-Madison policy calls on professors to distribute grades based on race
Where does the OP make the claim that grades ARE being distributed by race? He's saying UW is trying to.

BTW, when I was in college the faculty actually worried more about teaching than pushing ideologies.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't realize it but the University of Wisconsin-Madison' basic web address is wisc.edu. That is not the basic address included in your link, hence that quote isn't even on UW-Madison's website.
You're right but the UW system encompasses all the universities under it.
Madison is one of their campuses but is part of the UW System.
The UW System produces guidelines and policies followed by all their campuses.

Campuses

Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're right but the UW system encompasses all the universities under it.
Madison is one of their campuses but is part of the UW System.
The UW System produces guidelines and policies followed by all their campuses.

Campuses
The system only exists because of its flagship, hence why Madsion was threatening to leave the system altogether not too long ago.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
So now a list of definitions on the Wisconsin system website sets policy at UW-Madison?
Do you deny that UW-Madison is part of the University of Wisconsin system - yes or no?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you deny that UW-Madison is part of the University of Wisconsin system - yes or no?
Dig, dig, dig.

Once again . . . No, it's not on the UW-Madison website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies