Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times

Advertisements

OMG finally! its about time that scumbag gets reigned in!

enjoy PMITA prison rick! no one wants you in texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Threatening to veto is against the law?

"A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit, which is run by Travis County District Rosemary Lehmberg's office... Perry said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after she was arrested and plead guilty to drunken driving in April 2013. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking her tongue out. Lehmberg served about half of her 45-day jail sentence but stayed in office, despite Perry's assertions that her behavior was inappropriate."

Texas Gov. Perry indicted for alleged abuse of power for veto threat | Fox News
That's the argument. Seems trivial, but I'm not clued in on TX law.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

Your hate is the only consistent thing about you.
Thanks for posting this comment. So true!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I have no idea who legally is correct here but someone should have been able to fire this person.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good Lord..the "Public Integrity Unit" headed by a lawyer arrested for drunk driving and served time in jail.
And this lawyer's job is to investigate political corruption.

LOL..only in America.

Well that's $3 million Perry saved us.

No kidding, Good job Rick!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea who legally is correct here but someone should have been able to fire this person.
On that I agree completely. The person involved on the DA side needed to be gone. The problem probably came about that being able to fire the person who is charged with investigating you if you commit a crime would be a serious conflict of interest.

Sooo.....I think he was doing the right thing, but he did it the wrong way. If found guilty I think a $10 fine, and 1 hour in jail would be an appropriate sentence.

Yes I know $10 might be excessive, but come on, if he is guilty we cant just let him off you know?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
On that I agree completely. The person involved on the DA side needed to be gone. The problem probably came about that being able to fire the person who is charged with investigating you if you commit a crime would be a serious conflict of interest.
It would and as I've noted many times, this is a bigger picture thing than this one instance but as I said, *someone* should have been able to fire her. And they should have.

Quote:
Sooo.....I think he was doing the right thing, but he did it the wrong way. If found guilty I think a $10 fine, and 1 hour in jail would be an appropriate sentence.
LOL, that would make quite the photo op but yeah, I have no idea the legality of what he did. If not, he can't do it.

Quote:
Yes I know $10 might be excessive, but come on, if he is guilty we cant just let him off you know?
No, we shouldn't.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Proof fascists exist on the Left too.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
If you don't understand why someone who willfully breaks the law in a dangerous way to other people should not head a unit whose purpose is to make people obey the law.... Nobody can help you understand it.
No, I understand where you're coming from. I was just thinking that she heads up a watchdog group that monitors political corruption, and as far as I could tell she didn't actually commit corruption. But you make a good point. It still doesn't change the fact that what Perry did was perhaps illegal as well.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM

553 posts, read 595,987 times
Governor Perry vetoed funding for an investigation into political corruption that was headed by somebody who needed to be investigated herself. He announced well beforehand he would veto the funds if she didn't step down. We ought to be cheering Governor Perry for his stand that people investigating corruption should themselves be free of corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies