Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 02:23 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
That's a good point. But they could be made tamper proof and tampered with penalties like loss of employment or never allowed to carry a firearm again.
that would be awesome...

why isn't it in place already?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, or crouching to get down on his knees while raising his hands. Try getting on your knees without using the ground to balance yourself. Your head tilts forward and down.
Give me a break. No one with any credibility...and I mean no one....has asserted, claimed, or otherwise stated that Michael Brown was shot execution style. You are not living anywhere near reality.....and because of that no one should even try to debate you on this issue.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
He certainly didn't attempt to stop him from walking out of the store with them either.
He already said that Johnson and he weren't close friends, that they knew each other in grade school, and had only started hanging out when Johnson moved into the complex a few weeks ago. Maybe he didn't think he was in any position to stop Michael Wood from doing what he did.

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I stopped reading there. An accomplice to a felony who has changed his story 3 different times, who originally stated that he just met up with Brown and neglected to even mention the robbery has faltered on so many levels that its basically foolish to take anything he offers at face value.
I wouldn't call him an accomplice. I read Missouri law carefully and watched the tape. He never aided Brown in either felonies Brown committed. He was "a party to" though. Also, he was breaking the city ordinance which forbids pedestrians from walking down the middle of a road.

Johnson should be charged with breaking that specific city ordinance. I think they'll let it slide though. If he does they'll burn down the police station.

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Simple, he confronts them for being in the street, Brown takes issue since he is in his "Bad Arse" mode and when the cop tries to arrest him they get onto a fight and the cop defends himself as he was taught to do and has a right to do.
I do not believe they have released all the information on his injuries, but just to let you know; simply putting your hands on a police officer is resisting arrest and assault on a police officer, both of which are considered Felonies and serious jail time is connected to them. That may also explain the actions of Mr. Brown, he may have already known he was in deep trouble and that is why he reacted the way he did.
Matlock solves the case

Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't know why he called for backup, but it is all over the internet that he was originally stopped
for jaywalking, blocking the middle of the road. Just google it.
It is unclear if he called for backup before or after shots were fired.

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
A police officer has the choice to pursue, or call back up. Are cops given the green light to
shoot to kill jaywalkers now?

Police officers make mistakes, overreact, and some, don't even belong in the
field. Just ask anyone who lives in New Orleans.
He just tried to steal a cop's gun. As a citizen in that community, you BET I want that man off the street.

And yes, if a jaywalker tries to steal a gun, shoot away.

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Give me a break. No one...and I mean no one....has asserted, claimed, or otherwise stated that Michael Brown was shot execution style. You are not living anywhere near reality.....and because of that no one should even try to debate you on this issue.
I never said he was shot execution style. But his friend Dorian Johnson implied that Michael Brown had turned around, and was in the process of raising his hands and going on his knees. That's what he said.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I can agree that denial is part of grief but we all know the kind. Momma's little darling could never do any wrong even if it's done in front of her (in the eyes of momma).
He was just about to turn his life around. He was enrolled in school. He was looking for a job.

Again

Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that would be awesome...

why isn't it in place already?

Cost, largely. Some opposition by various police groups as well. They have been shown to work.

Quote:
So it is in Rialto, Calif., where an entire police force is wearing so-called body-mounted cameras, no bigger than pagers, that record everything that transpires between officers and citizens. In the first year after the cameras' introduction, the use of force by officers declined 60%, and citizen complaints against police fell 88%.

I think, as mentioned previously, when police know they are being recorded and when civilians know they are being recorded, everyone tends to behave better. I think police are less likely to use force with an individual and an individual is less likely to push the police to use force or to respond with force if they know everything they are doing is being captured on camera.

If someone acts stupid with the police and it leads to them being arrested, they will be less likely to file a complaint knowing that the video evidence of their actions is there and this has been proven out in Rialto as well.

Quote:
though some of the reduction in complaints is apparently because of citizens declining to contest video evidence of their behavior—but a modification of the psychology of everyone involved.

Quote:
One problem with the cameras, however, has been cost. Fortunately, fierce competition between the two most prominent vendors of the devices, Vievu LLC and Taser International Inc., TASR +5.54% which makes the cameras used by Rialto police, has driven the price of individual cameras down to between $300 and $400. Unfortunately, one place where expenses can mount is in the storage and management of the data they generate.

Both Taser and Vievu offer cloud-based storage systems for a monthly subscription fee. Think of it as an evidence room-as-a-service, where vendors are happy to see police departments outsource some of their most critical functions, and be subject to the same kind of vendor lock-in that can make corporate IT managers weary of the cloud.

The cost isn't so much in the actual cameras as it is in the storage it seems.

What Happens When Police Officers Wear Body Cameras - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies