Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes, we always execute folks who take $48.99 boxes of cigars.
It was not the theft of cigars that portrays this young man but when he returned to physically threaten the small Owner or clerk.

That threat speaks volumes.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Yes, we always execute folks who take $48.99 boxes of cigars.
Please point me to the reports or investigations that led to your calling it an execution......Oh that's right, there isn't anything that supports that. You seem like the type of person, who won't care what the reports or investigation shows. You, like the loons taking to the streets, had it set in your mind what happened and you'll never be happy until the cop has to pay the price, no matter what the truth is.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You seem to be missing a lot of crucial information about what transpired. If you think the officer shot and killed because of stolen cigars, you need to read up on this situation.

Been reading many accounts in mainstream press. The key evidence is going to relate to the distance where fatal shots were fired, as well as how a 6'4" guy was shot in the head with the bullet moving south exiting the clavicle region (Baden's drawings).

The cop's actions will determine the cop's fate. Nothing else will.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
We need to see the officers report to know what is recollection of events. We have not seen the actual report so anything outside the report is speculation. I personally think the officer faces a uphill battle. If Brown was killed 35 ft away from him he is going to have a difficult time explaining how he was defending himself with the suspect that far away. He can only fire his weapon if the suspect was endangering him or someone else. A shot fired in the car during a altercation is valid reason for shooting someone. 35 ft is good distance when one person has a gun and the other person does not. For this to be justified a logical person would have to believe that a altercation took place, Brown decided to run, after being shot at Brown thought a better plan would be to pivot around and charge the officer without a firearm. I would like to think I am a logical thinking person and would think this scenario is highly unlikely. Mr. Brown would have to have wanted to die by suicide in order to charge a officer with a automatic weapon. Sure it could happen but it seems highly unlikely. I think the officer is going to have a uphill climb on this one.

Reggie
I don't know how it is now, but it used to be, an officer could shoot a fleeing felon. If he assaulted the officer then he committed a felony.

Some young people think they are bullet proof. I remember when I was young and just won a weight lifting contest. I thought I could walk through a brick wall. Then I put it to the test. That wall didn't move a bit. Kind of brought me back to reality. True story.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Default Cigars, But Not Close

From Mark Steyn - "Let's assume for the sake of argument that everything the police say about this incident is correct. In that case, whether or not the fatal shooting of Mr Brown is a crime, it's certainly a mistake. When an unarmed shoplifter* in T-shirt and shorts with a five-buck cigar box in one hand has to be shot dead, you're doing it wrong." Cigars, But Not Close :: SteynOnline

This is an excellent article from Mark Steyn who is concerned police in America have become far to comfortable with the use of lethal force.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It was not the theft of cigars that portrays this young man but when he returned to physically threaten the small Owner or clerk.

Bully.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

And right after that tape came out the convenience store got looted and burned down.

Snitches get stitches.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Been reading many accounts in mainstream press. The key evidence is going to relate to the distance where fatal shots were fired, as well as how a 6'4" guy was shot in the head with the bullet moving south exiting the clavicle region (Baden's drawings).

The cop's actions will determine the cop's fate. Nothing else will.
Since you clipped almost all of my post, I will repost what you obviously missed:

Obviously, if the officer's account is accurate (and it is consistent with Brown's behavior in the convenience store video which the officer would have no knowledge of at the time), the officer had little time to react. The officer needed to rapid fire shots at Brown while being charged at a fast pace by Brown. As the shot to the forehead caused Brown to fall forward, the next bullet was already fired and caught the top of Brown's head as he fell forward.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From Mark Steyn - "Let's assume for the sake of argument that everything the police say about this incident is correct. In that case, whether or not the fatal shooting of Mr Brown is a crime, it's certainly a mistake. When an unarmed shoplifter* in T-shirt and shorts with a five-buck cigar box in one hand has to be shot dead, you're doing it wrong." Cigars, But Not Close :: SteynOnline

This is an excellent article from Mark Steyn who is concerned police in America have become far to comfortable with the use of lethal force.
I disagree. Sometimes, people other than the police need to be held accountable for their actions too. If this guy never stole the cigars, bullied the clerk, most likely he never would've allegedly attacked the cop. He would still be alive.

If this guy was charging the cop after initially assaulting him, I would have to back the cop for firing. You do that to a cop after stealing and assaulting someone else, what else do you expect may happen? Cop let's you get a chance to grab his gun knowing you're violent?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I agree the full report needs be aired. Bear in mind it takes about 3 seconds for a man to run 35 feet. even less if he is going full bore.

The officer has to prove that either is life or someone's else life was in danger when he fired his weapon. From all accounts he started to run and then turned back around. This means he had to come to a complete stop and pivot around. If we accept 35ft has the distance between the shooter and dead body it's gonna be hard for the officer to say he was in fear of his life when the suspect did not have gun. 35ft is a good distance and based on the wounds to Browns arm I think it is safe to say that the actual distance in which the first shot was fired was further than 35 ft. Only the two shots to his head would have stopped his forward progress. Explaining how he was a immediate threat while being so far away is gong to be a difficult hurdle to clear. Also with Brown being nearly 300lbs and wearing flip flops covering 35ft in 3 seconds would be impossible.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies