Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM

1,245 posts, read 925,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This is just another case of deniers grasping for straws...To them slowed means stopped...To them the fact that the ocean continues to absorb heat, and rise and ice continues to melt means nothing....
Global Warming: 2014 Articles, Facts, Causes & Effects
You climate/warming data fiddling conspiracy theorists are the ones grasping for straws! I bet you'd vouch for banning air conditioning.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,010,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Lets assume for the sake of argument that she is the (D) nominee. Is she in your estimation really the best candidate and most qualified to be president in the (D) party?

I was not a big Bush fan and felt his younger brother Jeb who was a good governor in FL would have been better. Clearly he has more experience and is more qualfied than Hillary, and can get along with moderate(D's) as well as his base. So he would be more likely to get things accomplished with Congress than she would as such a polarizing person.
Still I would not want him to get the (R) nomination as we do not need dynastic political families in our system of government.

Though off the subject, I'd like to hear your take?

In keeping with the subject, man-made global warming is still being shown to be theory, conjecture and at times outright falsification. Yet those on the bandwagon refuse to even acknowledge such, even though your overall belief is still in tact. My question in that regard is why.
Hillary was my top choice in 2008. She remains my top choice. Bill Clinton was the best president in my lifetime and I believe Hillary will run a comparable presidency to Bill's. In addition she steps into the job with 8 years of White House experience under her belt. She will be our most experienced president since FDR.

I believe she will beat whomever the Republicans run by double digits and carry large coat tails. With a little luck she will send the Republicans the way of the Whigs.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
You climate/warming data fiddling conspiracy theorists are the ones grasping for straws! I bet you'd vouch for banning air conditioning.
How can we be grasping for straws? We have won all the legal battles and have all of the critical regulations written and in place. The deniers are arguing about data, while the environmentalists are stamping coal out of our generation mix.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 AM

25,862 posts, read 16,574,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If one looks at the data you can see the period from 1940 through the 1970 when overall there wasn't temperature increase. It is the nature of the process. Nothing in the theory suggests the warming will be monotonic. Looking at 100 year timeframe we can see the direction we are headed.
Do you ever stop to think about just how ridiculous the idea that man can affect the global temps of this planet?

-2/3rds of the planet's surface is ocean so that means man is accomplishing all this on only roughly 30% of the surface of the Earth.

-If you know what a BTU is, then try to calculate how many BTU's it would take to increase the temp of the Earth's oceans one degree F. The fossil fuels do not exist to accomplish that.

-There is no proof that CO2 in the atmosphere actually affects temps. NONE, it's a guess by scientists that know every little of the science of what makes the Earth tick. There have been major ice ages when the CO2 levels in the atmosphere have been far higher than they are today.

-So we are living on a very thin crust of a sphere in space with a molten lava core circling a star that emits heat, gamma rays and most energy we don't even understand. And BTW, the temp of space is absolute zero. But some of the tiny little humans on the planet think they are responsible for the temps? Cute, but not realistic at all.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
How can we be grasping for straws? We have won all the legal battles and have all of the critical regulations written and in place. The deniers are arguing about data, while the environmentalists are stamping coal out of our generation mix.

So you loons would rather stuff the economy and have no jobs here, and continue shipping them overseas? What will generate the power lost by shutting down the coal power plants? Natural gas is still a fossil fuel, so we better stop using that too.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you ever stop to think about just how ridiculous the idea that man can affect the global temps of this planet?

-2/3rds of the planet's surface is ocean so that means man is accomplishing all this on only roughly 30% of the surface of the Earth.

-If you know what a BTU is, then try to calculate how many BTU's it would take to increase the temp of the Earth's oceans one degree F. The fossil fuels do not exist to accomplish that.

-There is no proof that CO2 in the atmosphere actually affects temps. NONE, it's a guess by scientists that know every little of the science of what makes the Earth tick. There have been major ice ages when the CO2 levels in the atmosphere have been far higher than they are today.

-So we are living on a very thin crust of a sphere in space with a molten lava core circling a star that emits heat, gamma rays and most energy we don't even understand. And BTW, the temp of space is absolute zero. But some of the tiny little humans on the planet think they are responsible for the temps? Cute, but not realistic at all.
There will always be buffalo, because man can't possibly kill them all.

There will always be passenger pigeons, because man can't possibly kill them all.

Fires out west are just natural occurrences, we can't possibly have made the environment more prone to fires. There have always been fires.

There will always be water that we can pump out of the ground for our crops. Man's use of water is much to small to make a difference.

Now that we know all these things are true, let's just burn some more coal. There is no PROOF!

BTW I'm sure my training in energy is light years more extensive than yours. Yes I know what a BTU is. Have you calculated the amount of energy that strikes the earth in a year? Can you count that high?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
So you loons would rather stuff the economy and have no jobs here, and continue shipping them overseas? What will generate the power lost by shutting down the coal power plants? Natural gas is still a fossil fuel, so we better stop using that too.
Actually renewable energy projects are a great new source of jobs for the economy. I'll keep my lights on with a mix of generation that is heavy on renewables and natural gas, as I do today. Natural gas has a carbon footprint that is a fraction of coal's. It's an acceptable fossil fuel.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
"Stopped" not a word that is used. What's more none say that the process of climate change has stopped as you imply.
Nobody is implying that climate change has stopped. That would be silly. We can't stop the climate from changing.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Actually renewable energy projects are a great new source of jobs for the economy. I'll keep my lights on with a mix of generation that is heavy on renewables and natural gas, as I do today. Natural gas has a carbon footprint that is a fraction of coal's. It's an acceptable fossil fuel.
Yet you're polluting the ground water by fracking. You’re another green hypocrite.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yet you're polluting the ground water by fracking. You’re another green hypocrite.
the ground water problems with fraqing are a fraction of the problems caused by a coal plant and can all be solved with proper drilling and well completion. As in the past the Oil and Gas industry is busying polluting the environment because it's cheaper than doing the job right. If we put a few Oil and Gas CEOs in prison for pollution, it will encourage the rest to be more vigilant. (Thank you Voltaire)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies