Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You'd be surprised what reparations would do, especially if it was offered from wealthy white families.
Stop it. No white person - wealthy or not - is going to give reparations to people who were never slaves and want to claim that they are psychologically damaged and suffered injustices because of what happened to their ancestors.

Get you hand out of my pocket. I don't owe you anything.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Of course I'm not demanding it. Again if reparations were given out, I want it to be from the generosity of those who want to give it. That way no one has to pay anything.

To again follow up someone's question of why white people would want to give a portion of their wealth to black people, it would create a prosperous black population. Not many countries in the world has one of those. We can be the country's secret weapon.
I'll pass.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Don't you DARE imply that my ancestors had it easy when
they got here. They encountered "No Irish need Apply" signs, just as yours did.
They took menial jobs testing dynamite for christs sake.
Yeah........at least they got paid for it. And they sure learned that no matter how low they were, they could still say they were better off - and better - than black people.

New York City draft riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
They came here voluntarily for a better life--what's stopping black people in
inner cities?
Where are they supposed to go?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Apparently he's never even seen the movie "The Grapes of Wrath". Really sad the low information folks.
I saw "Gangs of New York."

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Stop it. No white person - wealthy or not - is going to give reparations to people who were never slaves and want to claim that they are psychologically damaged and suffered injustices because of what happened to their ancestors.

Get you hand out of my pocket. I don't owe you anything.
I'll repeat that I don't support reparations, but a case can be made that white people alive today have benefitted from the slave ancestors of today's blacks. Family fortunes built from slave labor are still with us, and it is reasonable to conclude that some of that money is owed to the descendants of slaves, just as the fortunes have been handed down to white descendants over generations.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You lost your arm in combat. If, instead, you lost your arm due to someone's negligence, would you brush it off or demand compensation?
Again, again with the apples and oranges comparisons. If YOU had YOUR arm cut off due to negligence that is totally different than your 15th great grandson asking for compensation.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah, as usual, you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

Then enlighten me. Who is keeping you from moving anywhere you wish? Your Father? Your Mom? Your wife? Are you saying you're not man enough to do what you want?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Yeah, they were so well off, working menial jobs. Irish and
blacks were often treated very much the same
The same? I doubt it. I never saw an Irishman hung for looking at a white woman - or a black one.

Quote:
I do not know or care where they want to go, maybe somewhere there's less
crime/violence/negative influence on their children. You said they didn't have
the means to leave, and I said that's false.
Many do not have the means to leave; those who do have a Hobson's choice - go to a place that is different but just as bad in terms of crime and poverty, or - if they can scrape up the money - attempt to go somewhere safer but that they are essentially not wanted, and where the means of coercion and enforcement (cops, banks, landlords, workplaces) assure that they either don't get to move there or if they do, that their life will be hell.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,579 times
Quote:
It's clear black people are still suffering over the long history of discrimination. If I was Bill Gates, I would gather all the wealthy people I know and start a movement for generous reparations. Then once ready, give the money to all descendants of the slaves. I know the white abolitionists who fought to end slavery out of morality would have been all for doing that.
So you want reparations for discrimination AND slavery?

You actually "KNOW" what white abolitionists would do??

Please don't talk about morality. When you think that white people owe you for something you never experienced, it reflects a low morality as to your values and principles.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My quibble has never been with either of them, its your analysis of their findings.
They're not my analysis and findings. I just quoted the Census and the NY Times. Your quibble is with them. Very likely because you can't handle the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies