Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

In any case, the true meaning of the original St Patrick has been lost among people partying, getting drunk, vomiting on the street and partying - both gay and straight. its lost its spiritual meaning about a man that did something good for humanity in history. I don't think the original Patrick would be caught doing half the stuff you see in the current Irish parade. its an excuse to party and get drunk or worse.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Allowing gays to get "married" is a special privilege. So there is your answer. Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Civil unions are allowed in some states, but it seems like that's never enough. You can also draw up a will to protect your partner if you wish.

But no--that's never enough, either. Gays are not the same as heterosexuals, and they never will be. But they want society to see it as exactly the same.

Gays have activist judges and Hollywood on their side, so they'll eventually get exactly what they want.
Civil unions are not equal to marriage in legal protections. A will will not get you those legal protections that come with a federally recognized marriage.

We have this thing called a constitution which states that no state can make a law that denies equal protection of the laws to an American citizen. I am an American citizen, why should I be denied the same legal protections you have?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Can you not read? Marriage is a benefit and a privilege reserved for men and women--not men and men and women and women.

You cannot ever convince me or any other normal person that man to man or woman to woman is the same as man to woman.

If that answer doesn't suit you, too bad. Call me a bigot, prejudiced, whatever. I don't care. Neither side is going to change the other's mind.
Laws can not discriminate based on gender.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You need to reread my post that I edited. Special rights are rights that are given above & beyond the general population. Therefore, it is heteros that are receiving special rights & privileges. Now, what special rights & privileges are gays asking for?
They are asking for a gay relationship to be treated exactly the same as a heterosexual relationship, when they are in fact polar opposites.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
They are asking for a gay relationship to be treated exactly the same as a heterosexual relationship, when they are in fact polar opposites.
That's not a special right or privilege, that is asking for equality. Lol my god, how you can't understand that very definition is really....well, it's really special.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
But that's just it! Gays have the right to go about their business--go to work, live with whom they want, and have a relationship with whom they want. Laws against such are a thing of the past.

But why do they demand special rights and privileges? Why do so many of them rub peoples' noses in it? Why are they lauded as heroes for "coming out?" Why can't they just go about their lives without having to display themselves as painted freaks in a parade?

No, I don't think it's normal at all, and I never will. You don't even have to fall back on the Bible or religion to know this. Men and women are NOT designed to have sex with a same-sex partner, and this shouldn't have to be spelled out.

But if that's what someone wants to do, let 'em. Just go about your lives--and quit trying to force it on people. Why isn't that ever enough?
You're wrong. There are still states where sexual orientation and gender identity can cost you jobs and housing. I live in one.

Once again for the slow people in class: equal rights are not special rights.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Exactly. Why must every gay pride parade be filled with almost naked flamers? Why can't they just talk and act normal, instead of speaking in dramatic undertones and filled with sexual innuendoes? And openly ogle straight men and say that they wish they could convert them?

Flamers are also to blame for the public's poor perception of gays. They are like a bunch of stupid cartoon characters. If you prefer your own sex fine, but just be regular and blend in with everyone else. Flamers are such attention wh*res and they also make gays seem like sex addicts.

And if it wasn't for the AIDS crisis, gays would still be happily slutting it up in nightclubs. What man doesn't want lots of no strings attached sex with unlimited partners? But that situation was a needed wakeup call to their community and helped many of them become more responsible adults.

Yes, MIU, we know you feel that homosexuals are icky.

What you or any of your cohorts have yet to advance is a coherent, rational, fact-based argument convincing those of us who don't think homosexuality is icky that we ought to care that you feel icky.

Let alone a coherent, rational, fact-based argument on why the St Paddy's Day Parade Committee should go back on their decision to allow a gay rights group in their parade next year.

If you really are *so* concerned about how the public perceives homosexuals, and how those poor benighted gay people just need some wise PR advice from you, I suggest you contact the St Paddy's Committee and let them know. I'm sure you could find their address somewhere.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'm a believer in live and let live. I'm also a believer in equality for all.

As for the topic of this discussion, I can see why the parade organizers banned gays from marching behind their banner up until now though. If your gay and want to attend, then by all means feel free to attend as a human being. Not as a gay or hetero. What your sexual orientation is has nothing to do with a parade dedicated to Irish heritage.
So no heterosexual couples should hold hands or do anything to signal that they might be heterosexual? So could GLAAD march in the parade for their Irish members in support of their Irish pride? Letting GLAAD march is no different than letting the police department march.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'll rephrase. People who dont accept gays never will.
Who cares, there will always be bigots and they will continue to be only a small group of people hating others just because of their sexual orientation.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Parades and holidays...the most useless human inventions...ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies