Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why are you rationalizing a starvation level wage?

This assumes a few things:

1) You actually get 40 hours per week (most min wage jobs won't consistently).
2) No emergencies happen
I am assuming nothing.

I said that once some math is done, you need to make choices. $300 left over for everything past rent, utilities and food isn't a whole lot. The individual must now choose how life is going to go.

Work more hours, make more money.
Get better at job, be more valuable, make more money.
Get educated, gain skills, make more money.
Get additional job, make more money.
Make wise spending choices, spend less money.
Make wise personal choices, spend less money.

I assume nothing, but I am aware of the myriad choices in life that can and do allow people to sink or swim as they CHOOSE.

And you guys always throw in the "emergency" thing, like every last welfare junkie or minimum wage sloth was hit by a bolt of lightning or has some debilitating disease. That's not even remotely close to true. All of the above choices I list are all excellent ways to prepare for emergencies. Really. And things like wife/kids/drug habit/medical_conditions_caused_by_personal_stupidity are all voluntary externalities. You choose to have these things in your life, thus I equate them with luxuries unnecessary to survival.

And you crack me up with appeals to emotion like "starvation wages". I was being generous at $10 per day, because you can eat a nutritious 1500-1800 calories per day for about $4 if you have an IQ higher than room temperature. Everyone should drink more water, and water is free if you can find yourself a water fountain and have one 32oz sport jug.

Only assumption I made originally is "can you live" and yeah, you can live just fine. Not luxuriously, certainly not worry free, but minimum wage @40 hours per week can indeed provide for survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but 'fastfood' at the entry level was NEVER designed to be a CAREER

yes YOU CAN move up to manager....

YES YOU CAN self improve

fastfood jobs are min wage, because the require NO SKILL, and are ENTRYLEVEL jobs.....never designed to support the imaginary family you think all min wage workers have

my FIRST job at the age of 16 was fastfood (white castle).... oh and btw fastfood is MORE than min wage 99% of the time

40 years of working and have NEVER worked min wage....why...because I have SELF PRIDE

get an education and get a real job
Agreed. I worked minimum wage once. And that was a lifeguard and I did it because it was a fun summer job. After I learned to find jobs that paid more. I got hired at a call center making 10.50 then I went to a bank making 12 as a teller.
Then I hit a crossroad. No higher education, no planing ahead, and suddenly a family to support. I joined the military. Served with honor, continued family tradition, provided for my family, got educated, earned benefits, and learned a trade.
But i guess I should have found a BK to work at and patiently wait until society felt bad for me right

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Children and Porsche are the same - they are luxury items not necessity.
Actually that is incorrect. Children are not a luxury item. Our society needs children to sustain itself.

Quote:
Working on a minimum wage job is more than enough to support 2 people without using food stamp.
Not in most cities. Maybe out in bumblefrick.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
The unending battle between economic reality and feel-good delusions. Since reality has no effect upon "good intentions" and "wants"...

"What is wrong with retail/service being paid a "liveable" wage?"

What is right about forcing someone to pay more for something than what it is worth?

What is right about extortion?

What is right about initiating force against your fellow man to coerce them into complying with your "desires"?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
But u said people deserve a living wage...you claim a minimum wage person cant go and find a higher paying job. What about the homeless guy that cant find any job? Why is it selective on who you turn your back on
False equivalency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but 'fastfood' at the entry level was NEVER designed to be a CAREER

yes YOU CAN move up to manager....

YES YOU CAN self improve

fastfood jobs are near min wage, because the require NO SKILL, and are ENTRYLEVEL jobs (and 99% are at least a quarter ABOVE min wage).....never designed to support the imaginary family you think all min wage workers have

my FIRST job at the age of 16 was fastfood (white castle).... oh and btw fastfood is MORE than min wage 99% of the time

40 years of working and have NEVER worked min wage....why...because I have SELF PRIDE

get an education and get a real job
Burger flipping is a "real job."

I'm glad we're making progress. At least you admit you think people working full time in fast food deserve to starve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Making 200+ a week IS enough to not starve.
It is enough to have hungry children. Child hunger is unacceptable in this country.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Actually that is incorrect. Children are not a luxury item. Our society needs children to sustain itself.
Society is not the subject here, the individual worker is. The individual worker at minimum wage has fewer luxuries than individuals who earn more, children/family are one such luxury.
Quote:
Then live in Bumblefrick instead of a city if minimum wage @40 per week is all you are ever going to be capable of.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The unending battle between economic reality and feel-good delusions. Since reality has no effect upon "good intentions" and "wants"...

"What is wrong with retail/service being paid a "liveable" wage?"

What is right about forcing someone to pay more for something than what it is worth?

What is right about extortion?

What is right about initiating force against your fellow man to coerce them into complying with your "desires"?
It's extortion to demand businesses pay employees a wage so that American citizens and their children can eat without taxpayer subsidy?

Yes, that is a desire of mine. I don't think any working parent should go hungry nor should their children. I don't give a rip what they do for work.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:

Raising your children is YOUR responsibility not mine or the society's just like paying for the car is YOUR responsibility!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Society is not the subject here, the individual worker is. The individual worker at minimum wage has fewer luxuries than individuals who earn more, children/family are one such luxury.
Actually, society is the subject here. This conversation is about values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Then live in Bumblefrick instead of a city if minimum wage @40 per week is all you are ever going to be capable of.
...can't afford a car. Are you going to move them there on your tax dollars?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Raising your children is YOUR responsibility not mine or the society's just like paying for the car is YOUR responsibility!
Incorrect again. Why do you think Adrian Peterson is on child abuse charges? (Domestic violence / abuse is a crime against the community)

Parents raise the children, yes. Children are the workers of tomorrow. That is why the government insures they won't go hungry. Either the employers will pay the parents a livable wage or the government will just issue food stamps. The latter comes out of your paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies