Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm not on the side of corporations, I'm on the side of common sense. Raising minimum wage does NOTHING to help the working poor. It never has, and it never will because the minimum wage is the lowest amount you can legally be paid. If you make
$12 an hour and it's mandated that I have to make
$10 an hour, you will be able to afford more than me. This is basic economics.

Brilliant, let's make sure that we end up in a perpetual loop of rising wages and costs.
Let me ask this if the bold is true. If your $10 an hour wage is the lowest and you cannot afford the basic costs (housing, food, transportation, health, etc.) BUT you cannot get welfare because your idea of having a job eliminates you from welfare, how do you live? I honestly am looking forward to your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But that is jacksonville. If you live in the dc area it's very different.
Ta da, now you understand why the idea of having a federally mandated minimum wage is idiotic.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Let me ask this if the bold is true. If your $10 an hour wage is the lowest and you cannot afford the basic costs (housing, food, transportation, health, etc.) BUT you cannot get welfare because your idea of having a job eliminates you from welfare, how do you live? I honestly am looking forward to your answer.
Ah, but I didn't say that $10 should be the number. In fact, I said I'll support whatever number the proponents of raising the minimum wage come up with, provided that employment makes one ineligible for warfare. It's in your court to set a livable wage.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Ta da, now you understand why the idea of having a federally mandated minimum wage is idiotic.
Whoever said this was about a federal level besides you? It was never said to be state, county, municipality or federal based minimum raise increases. Personally, there should be a federal base that is the lowest it can be period, but it can be higher based on costs in the state and/or municipality.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ah, but I didn't say that $10 should be the number. In fact, I said I'll support whatever number the proponents of raising the minimum wage come up with, provided that employment makes one ineligible for warfare. It's in your court to set a livable wage.
That's not the question I asked, you moved the goal posts. I repeat:
If your $10 an hour wage is the lowest and you cannot afford the basic costs (housing, food, transportation, health, etc.) BUT you cannot get welfare because your idea of having a job eliminates you from welfare, how do you live?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:51 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
You get a student loan which covers living expenses as well as tuition and you go get some job skills that will let you make more than $10/hr.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee123 View Post
What NEEDS to happen is common sense. What follows next, if one is smart and using common sense, is that person who's not making enough money to support themselves (not to mention any kids or spouses) starts brainstorming career plans that pay a lot more money. Through skills, training, and/or education. Whatever it takes in whatever field they choose. Ringing up french fries and flipping burgers is a great job for the teenager's first job while they are in school and living with mom/pop. They make min wage. That's what those jobs are designed for. They were never designed to support a family of 4, pay a mortgage, buy groceries, pay utilities, pay for car insurance/health insurance, make new car payments, go on a cruise once a year, your kids' college tuition.

Education yourself. Go to a trade school. Learn new skills. Go to college and get a practical degree you can actually use in a competitive job market.

Be smart. Don't expect sympathy for having low goals and no money. Do not whine. Do something about it. Who wants to be a cashier at McDonald's for 40 years.

And most companies (big name companies, i.e., McDonalds) have a specific career path within the corporation for moving up, promoting up into upper management careers that pay very well. It's available to all employees and anyone who has a burning desire goes for it. If you are content to stagnate in your jobs, you are getting paid what your marketable value is....somewhere around min wage.

People are paid what their services are worth in the job market. The more complex and highly trained your abilities, knowledge, education and skills are, the more you are worth in the business world.

It's about taking responsibility for your own situations and being a grown up.

If you choose to remain at such a low skilled career level, then you will remain in poverty. It's up to you.

If you want more, then do what it takes to GET more. But you have to work for it and be worth it to the person who will pay you.

And by the way, "office workers" work their butts off (most of them), work at least 40 hours a week, commute another 10 hours a week (most of them), deal with customers/clients all the time and work hard mentally. that's the difference. It's is their brains working hard, not their body. IN general. It's not easy to work in an office climate successfully and it requires experience, social knowledge, maturity, and whatever skill is involved in their industry. Higher level of responsibility too. Naturally it pays more than taking orders at Burger King.

bust out of the burger bizz if you aren't financially happy. Complaining about this is annoying and just angers people. Help yourself or be lazy.

The only thing min wage needs to satisfy is that is does need to keep up with inflation in proportion (ratio) with all other salaries and expenses.
If life is 25% more expensive this year than is was 10 years ago, every other industry and level of work has gone up in salary, going to the store has gone way up, rent has gone way up (for everyone)....everything has spiked over the last ten years, then mw needs to PROPORTIONATELY go up along with everything else. But one still will have the same problems if their min wage goes higher than the proportion demands. If Judy Smith, the office worker makes $500 more p/month today than she did in 2004, gas has doubled in price, real estate has spiked 25% since 2004, etc etc. then YES. MW needs to go up a bit to match the rest of the world. But you still won't be able the pay the increased rentQ!!!!
I couldn't have done a better job than this of explaining the realities of life. Great post!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You get a student loan which covers living expenses as well as tuition and you go get some job skills that will let you make more than $10/hr.
Please let us know your mailing address and phone number, so we can provide it to all those who are in that situation of your willingness to grant them loans to pay their living expenses and tuition while they're seeking more education that you claim will magically make the reduction in the median annual total compensation of all workers stop declining.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Please let us know your mailing address and phone number, so we can provide it to all those who are in that situation of your willingness to grant them loans to pay their living expenses and tuition while they're seeking more education that you claim will magically make the reduction in the median annual total compensation of all workers stop declining.
I imagine you think you're being clever here, but I invite you to go look up Stafford Loans. They are guaranteed loans which cover both living expenses and tuition and they are available to anyone who needs them, regardless of your financial situation.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Then you're responsible for A) Increasing your value, or B) get a 2nd job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies