Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Illegals would have an easier time finding employment actually, as the people who use illegal immigrant labor are the ones seeking to skirt minimum wage law by violating already existing immigration employment law. The higher you peg the minimum wage nationally, the more you motivate employers at the lower end of the wage scale to use illegal labor or whatever sort, be it hiring illegals or just paying everyone off the books on a piece work basis.

Perhaps, but then again, I think a lot of unemployed people milking unemployment insurance will go back to work, plus college kids can pay their own way vice massive loans etc. The smaller businesses that depend on cheap labor will dry up which is not good, but I don't mind seeing 40 percent of the fast food industry disappear. How many of those places do we actually need?

Our biggest problem is illegal labor keeping wages down and sucking up the social safety net (I hate that term), schools, etc....if we could put a massive hit on that segment of the population so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
With conservative logic, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you accept minimum wage, VOILA, that is proof you have chosen to accept it.

If you reject minimum wage, you're a lazy shirker who refuses to work.
Nope, I don't look down on anyone who takes a minimum wage job. I do, however, look down on people who refuse to improve their own situation and instead want the government to force their employer to pay them more.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Quote:
When I buy an item for $5, is it really worth $5...the seller earned $5?
When I flip it for $20, did it abruptly jump in value? All I really did was arbitrage information about the item - often information I obtained from some other seller's listing - somehow it doesn't really feel like hard work or earning.
haha, I scrapped a long answer because it just seemed too much for a simple question...

When you buy an item for $5, it is worth $5 to you. I don't know what the seller earned because I don't know what his expenses were. Whether he believe it was worth more or less is not an issue. He sold it to you for $5, so when the exchange happened he agreed that it was worth selling for $5.

If you "flip" that item for $20 it means that you found someone who thought it was worth $20 to them. So did it "jump" in value? I don't know about "jumping", but it obviously was worth four times as much to the buyer than what you thought it was worth when you bought it.

"Hard work" and "earning" are a little arbitrary as labels. What you did is in no way immoral though. You paid a fair value to a seller and sold it for a fair price to a buyer. This is possible because there is no "exact" value of anything. Each person has different preferences/needs/desires/wealth from which to view something and that individual assigns his/her own value to products/services.

In large, well run, businesses price is set so that it maximizes profit. There is a price point which if exceeded or not reached decreases profit from the maximum point.

Ideally, you would be able to haggle with every customer and get the maximum value that they are willing to pay. However, this is not practical, and the price must be set according to your target consumer, or the aggregate market.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
haha, I scrapped a long answer because it just seemed too much for a simple question...

When you buy an item for $5, it is worth $5 to you. I don't know what the seller earned because I don't know what his expenses were. Whether he believe it was worth more or less is not an issue. He sold it to you for $5, so when the exchange happened he agreed that it was worth selling for $5.

If you "flip" that item for $20 it means that you found someone who thought it was worth $20 to them. So did it "jump" in value? I don't know about "jumping", but it obviously was worth four times as much to the buyer than what you thought it was worth when you bought it.

"Hard work" and "earning" are a little arbitrary as labels. What you did is in no way immoral though. You paid a fair value to a seller and sold it for a fair price to a buyer. This is possible because there is no "exact" value of anything. Each person has different preferences/needs/desires/wealth from which to view something and that individual assigns his/her own value to products/services.

In large, well run, businesses price is set so that it maximizes profit. There is a price point which if exceeded or not reached decreases profit from the maximum point.

Ideally, you would be able to haggle with every customer and get the maximum value that they are willing to pay. However, this is not practical, and the price must be set according to your target consumer, or the aggregate market.
Yep.....simple wholesale/retail.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep.....simple wholesale/retail.
Haha...wish I worded it so easily, as that ties into this whole thread quite nicely. Those who don't like minimum wage are selling the "labor" at wholesale price to a retail outlet. They WOULD be worth more if they sold their "labor" at retail, or directly to the consumer. Obviously they won't be starting their own McDonalds, but it remains true regardless. If they cannot advance their "wholesale" value to the employer, they can in some way earn more by selling their labor at "retail" directly to the consumer.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They have well drilling rigs???

Who knew???

No, but they sell water which everyone needs.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
The well we finished Friday produces about 100 gallon a minute.

That would be a lot of little bottles.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
They sell water because people are completely nuts... Virtually all homes have running water that costs not 1% of the price that people pay for bottled water. Water costs more than gasoline...LOL Such ridiculousness was unimaginable when I was young. I wish that I could market little boxes of air to people who breath.

But the fact that millions and millions of dollars are spent buying water proves a valuable point relevant to the thread. Value is subjective and it is dictated by your fellow man operating in the market. A person can offer almost anything, even water, of value to their fellow man and make substantial sums of money.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:24 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Are you planning on taking a shower by dumping water bottles over your head? Buying bottles and jugs of water in order to water your lawn, wash your car, mop your floors, or wash dishes? Yeah, didn't think so....

Old 09-14-2014, 04:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
The counter point with water is that in some cases whether it is hard water or cases off bad waste (storms or contamination,) you do need bottle water or to boil your normal water over which some people would use bottle water for the convenience factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies