Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Every profession has its own frustration. If anybody thinks a CEO's work is easy, he/she is just ignorant.

I used to work for one CEO directly. He's on the road almost 90% of the time, often traveling through many time zones, and getting an email from him at 3am was common. He complained that he said sometimes he didn't even know where he was.

This one time he came back from a grueling 20+ hours internal travel and still had to attend company dinner at 6:00pm. He stayed until almost midnight. No, he does not fly first class.

I challenge any one of you to try that kind of lifestyle. I know I can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM

I'd also suggest to read Steve Jobs' biography. He had no personal life. Yes, he had a wife and three children but he couldn't see them every day. As a CEO, too often he came home at 3am and went back to work at 7am.

Again, it's not a life that I envy.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I'd also suggest to read Steve Jobs' biography. He had no personal life. Yes, he had a wife and three children but he couldn't see them every day. As a CEO, too often he came home at 3am and went back to work at 7am.

Again, it's not a life that I envy.
Cry me a river!!!

That sounds like a bargain compared to the low-wage worker making 3 minimum wage jobs, 90 hours a week without being able to afford daycare.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Cry me a river!!!

That sounds like a bargain compared to the low-wage worker making 3 minimum wage jobs, 90 hours a week without being able to afford daycare.
You forgot to have them starving in the streets when they are not working one of those 3 jobs.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What do you mean never has.....I lived on minimum wage when I was young. I had my own studio apartment. You can't do that now.
Yes you can. Do the math. We'll use freemkt's Oregon as an example.

$9.10 is the state minimum wage. At 40 hours per week, that's $364 before taxes. Chop off 7.5% for FICA/Mediwelfare and you're at $336.70. Drop another 9% (state + federal with refund included and applied at Single-0) = $306. We'll round down and say $300. That's your full time take home pay per week in Oregon if you make exactly the minimum wage.

Now, let's use the most expensive city in Oregon - Portland. I just found a 965 sq ft 2 br/2 ba apartment on Zillow for $795 per month. With one roommate, that's $400 per month rent, say another $200 for utilities. Okie doke, rent and utilities are done and you still have $600 and change for the month.

With food, eating well on a low budget isn't hard, and your apartment has a kitchen. At $10 per day, you spend $300 per month on food. Still have $300 left.

Now here's where choices happen. On just that $300 left over, paying for a car, insurance, fuel, etc would be problematic. But a vehicle is unnecessary, given that there are these things called bicycles in the world, and for inclement weather, there's the bus. Paying for new clothes might suck as well, but there's always thrift stores and cheapo deals at target, marshall's, kohl's, etc.

Wait a sec....a thought is coming to me....oh yeah, there's also WORKING MORE THAN 40 HOURS PER WEEK, as well as GETTING A BETTER JOB.

But one can scrape a living out of just one full time minimum wage job and LIVE just fine. Frugal maybe, but you'll live.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Cry me a river!!!

Why would someone have children when they can't even afford daycare?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Cry me a river!!!

One minimum wage job at 40 hours/week can easily support 2 people even without taking advantage of food stamp.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
One minimum wage job at 40 hours/week can easily support 2 people even without taking advantage of food stamp.
I did it.

It taught me I did not like being poor.........that was good for me.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did it.

It taught me I did not like being poor.........that was good for me.
I did it myself with far less when I was poor. That taught me that I didn't want to worry about money ever again.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yes you can. Do the math. We'll use freemkt's Oregon as an example.

$9.10 is the state minimum wage. At 40 hours per week, that's $364 before taxes. Chop off 7.5% for FICA/Mediwelfare and you're at $336.70. Drop another 9% (state + federal with refund included and applied at Single-0) = $306. We'll round down and say $300. That's your full time take home pay per week in Oregon if you make exactly the minimum wage.

Now, let's use the most expensive city in Oregon - Portland. I just found a 965 sq ft 2 br/2 ba apartment on Zillow for $795 per month. With one roommate, that's $400 per month rent, say another $200 for utilities. Okie doke, rent and utilities are done and you still have $600 and change for the month.

With food, eating well on a low budget isn't hard, and your apartment has a kitchen. At $10 per day, you spend $300 per month on food. Still have $300 left.

Now here's where choices happen. On just that $300 left over, paying for a car, insurance, fuel, etc would be problematic. But a vehicle is unnecessary, given that there are these things called bicycles in the world, and for inclement weather, there's the bus. Paying for new clothes might suck as well, but there's always thrift stores and cheapo deals at target, marshall's, kohl's, etc.

Wait a sec....a thought is coming to me....oh yeah, there's also WORKING MORE THAN 40 HOURS PER WEEK, as well as GETTING A BETTER JOB.

But one can scrape a living out of just one full time minimum wage job and LIVE just fine. Frugal maybe, but you'll live.
Why are you rationalizing a starvation level wage?

This assumes a few things:

1) You actually get 40 hours per week (most min wage jobs won't consistently).
2) No emergencies happen

Quote:
Why would someone have children when they can't even afford daycare?
Irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies