Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 02:06 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Didn't you mean to say "Let the tax payer subsidize their wages then."

Sorry folks but a Minimum Wage is not, nor was it intended to be, a Living Wage. If a person wants that they need to improve their skills and get a job that pays a living wage.
That said, I would have not problem with the minimum wage following along with inflation, to be updated every four years and to take into account the inflation rate over the last four years when making the adjustment, I doubt most would have an issue with that.

If you can tell what inflation really is an not what the government says it is you might have something there. If can also tell me the value of the dollar vs what it use to by you before we devalued it might really get the root of the problem. Inflation is a tax, the poor the middle class see it the rich just live with it and dont really notice.

Which is why the money that is printed goes to the rich FIRST!! interest free. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How dare you to ask the liberals to put their own money where their mouth is?
I don't understand why anyone, whatever their political bent happens to be, thinks X, Y, or Z should get more money, but they never offer any of their own and always demand someone else have their money taken forcibly to pay for things. If the government gave $100 billion to the Fuzzy Kittens for Orphans Fund, I would not feel charitable. If I gave $1 to the same thing, of my own free will, then I would feel charitable.

Same thing as "living wage." If I felt that it was important for anyone working to be paid some value I believe in more than their employer, I would give them my own money to cover the difference according to my theory. I would not demand the government force everyone's agreement with my philosophy at the point of the centurion's spear though.

Liberals do tend to be more vengeance oriented than conservatives, I will grant you that. They never met a cause they weren't willing to have someone else pay for against their will.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Way back in the late 1980s I was working as an A&P mechanic for about $8.50 per hour. entry level wage for an A&P fresh out of school was about $7.50/hour. About that time, United opened a new maintenance facility near Oakland, CA. I thought about applying (for about 5 minutes), then reality set in and I remembered what the cost of living was in Oakland. I decided that I was better off staying in Wyoming making $8.50 in a non union shop than I would be in Oakland paying two hours pay per month to a union.
However, one of my co-workers, a new guy, making the entry level $7.50 per, could only see that his wages would DOUBLE! He just HAD to be better off at twice the money, right? He applied, was accepted, and excitedly moved to Oakland.
Within 6 months he was back, asking if he could return to work at $7.50 per. He flatly stated he could not afford to live anywhere near Oakland at $15 per hour!
You bet, cost of living "matters"!
You bet it does.

I watch House Hunters sometimes on HGTV. It is amazing the house one can buy in say Austin and what the same money will buy in say, NY.

You get a shack in NY and a huge house with a large lot.

You can't touch a decent house in NY city for $250,000. In Austin you get a 4 bedroom with 3 baths, one is a master bath with all the trimmings, a large kitchen with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances, a den a rec room a huge garage etc. etc., etc.

My wife sold real estate in the Annapolis, Md area for many years. The "culture shock" as they called, it blew many away.

They were flabbergasted at how much less they could get for their money then where the came from.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No one is (or should be) denigrating food service jobs, katestar. Any and every job has value and they all require skills.

But the "livable wage" movement is doomed to fail, if only because what's livable for a single worker won't be livable for his co-worker with 3 kids at home.

There are many things that employers use to determine salaries, but what's "livable" cannot be one of them.
This is not good
You are equating burger flipping to machinist skill and saying the gap in salary is our lack of gratitude
Stop it
go get some skills and make some money

Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If anyone is taking the easy way out, it is you. You are ignoring the cost of doing business, the effect of taxes and regulations, the effects of international trade, etc. You simply reduce everything down to corporate greed. It's shallow thinking.

But hey, an ignorance of economic realities is an asset to liberals. That way they can justify doing whatever they want. They can hurt business however they like, and then when bad effects happen, they just blame the owner for being too greedy.
Quote of the day. (Emphasis mine)

Old 09-10-2014, 03:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't understand why anyone, whatever their political bent happens to be, thinks X, Y, or Z should get more money, but they never offer any of their own and always demand someone else have their money taken forcibly to pay for things. If the government gave $100 billion to the Fuzzy Kittens for Orphans Fund, I would not feel charitable. If I gave $1 to the same thing, of my own free will, then I would feel charitable.

Same thing as "living wage." If I felt that it was important for anyone working to be paid some value I believe in more than their employer, I would give them my own money to cover the difference according to my theory. I would not demand the government force everyone's agreement with my philosophy at the point of the centurion's spear though.

Liberals do tend to be more vengeance oriented than conservatives, I will grant you that. They never met a cause they weren't willing to have someone else pay for against their will.
As a good liberal, I'd be happy to put your money where my mouth is.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If you can tell what inflation really is an not what the government says it is you might have something there. If can also tell me the value of the dollar vs what it use to by you before we devalued it might really get the root of the problem. Inflation is a tax, the poor the middle class see it the rich just live with it and dont really notice.

Which is why the money that is printed goes to the rich FIRST!! interest free. :-)
Huh? When they print money, which dilutes the value of your money, the rich would feel the blunt of it as they have more being diluted.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You did not answer my question if a store has a low profit margin whose fault is that not the employees. If a business can not make more profit that is on whoever is running it but instead you want to blame the employees. Subway is a well known franchise with commercials there is no reason not to do well. Every Subway I have been to does not even employ that many people there maybe two employees and a manger usually there. I am not ignoring cost of business but you only seem focused on the cost of what the employees make not looking at if the store is spending to much on food, not advertising well, not giving good customer service. Yes employees are a cost but so are a lot of other things. So once again you are just taking all blame off the owner because it is easier to blame the employees. The managers are in charge of running the store so yeah they are in charge so if a business fails it is their fault it is not a strawman it is just a fact.
It's funny that you keep bringing up Subway, because I happen to know that that's one of the lowest profit franchises, and that restaurant owners often have to have two or three stores just to make the whole venture worthwhile.

I guess, according to you, none of them know what they're doing, because they're not becoming millionaires off of a single store.

And WTF is "they have commercials"??? What does that have to do with anything? You DO know that the commercials are paid for and run by the Subway corporation, not the franchisees, right? The owner of your local Subway has about as much to do with those commercials as I do.

BTW, what are your business credentials? Do you have some actual experience in the area of owning or at least managing any kind of business?

Old 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Why would raising the minimum wage make anybody unemployed?
Seriously?

Dude. Pay attention.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Seriously?

Dude. Pay attention.
No, please explain. I just can't wait to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies