Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Years ago I was in the UAW.

Our contract did have a clause about if the minimum wage went up.....our wages went up.

that's years ago as you said it yourself. I am asking which union contracts are now tied to the minimum wage...
Crickets. I thought so .

Another conservative myth we can finally put to rest: unions supporting the increase in minimum wage because their contracts are tied to that. Thank you, Fox News

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-09-2014 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Childless adults working full time at minimum wage qualify for exactly what? Not TANF not SNAP not EITC.

You're wrong. Below $1,400 a month you definitely qualify for food stamps and 160 hrs at $7.75 gets you just 1,240 a month. Sorry. That's a sad truth about current minimum wage, it still puts people below the poverty line...

Old 09-10-2014, 12:13 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
that's years ago as you said it yourself. I am asking which union contracts are now tied to the minimum wage...
Crickets. I thought so .

Another conservative myth we can finally put to rest: unions supporting the increase in minimum wage because their contracts are tied to that. Thank you, Fox News
You just can't accept the facts when they don't support your ideology, can you? You've had at least 3 people provide evidence that union wages are tied to the minimum, but rather than admit you're wrong you call it a myth.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
You're wrong. Below $1,400 a month you definitely qualify for food stamps and 160 hrs at $7.75 gets you just 1,240 a month. Sorry. That's a sad truth about current minimum wage, it still puts people below the poverty line...

??? In Oregon, earned monthly income of $1197 (or unearned income of $958) disqualifies a childless adult from SNAP.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:39 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
'A so-called 'livable wage' varies widely from state to state and from city to city, so there is no single method for determining what a 'livable wage' is anywhere in the USA or anywhere else on the planet, and given the staggering levels of ignorance which many politicians and Democrats in particular have regarding a 'livable wage' according to their pre-conceived and usually flat-out absurd mindsets, I guess the fact that millions of folks have lost their jobs courtesy of ObamaCare as was widely predicted before the bill became law hasn't penetrated their extremely thick skulls just yet, and undoubtedly never will.

When Dems keep passing laws which make it impossible for companies to grow and hire new workers and/or start a new business starting with our clueless President, it's no wonder that our economy is in its current dismal state.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM

Yes. It's all democrats fault, even the fact that democrat ran states like New Jersey, New York, Connecticut are the most affluent in the nation while the republican ran states, like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas the poorest. It's all democrats fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
'A so-called 'livable wage' varies widely from state to state and from city to city, so there is no single method for determining what a 'livable wage' is anywhere in the USA or anywhere else on the planet, and given the staggering levels of ignorance which many politicians and Democrats in particular have regarding a 'livable wage' according to their pre-conceived and usually flat-out absurd mindsets, I guess the fact that millions of folks have lost their jobs courtesy of ObamaCare as was widely predicted before the bill became law hasn't penetrated their extremely thick skulls just yet, and undoubtedly never will.

When Dems keep passing laws which make it impossible for companies to grow and hire new workers and/or start a new business starting with our clueless President, it's no wonder that our economy is in its current dismal state.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Millions of folks haven't lost their jobs do to Obamacare.

Quote:
If starvation wages are needed for your business to survive, you're a terrible entrepreneur.

Quote:
Yes. It's all democrats fault, even the fact that democrat ran states like New Jersey, me York, Connecticut are the most affluent in the nation while the republican ran states, like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas the poorest. It's all democrats fault
Must be librual education.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Yes. It's all democrats fault, even the fact that democrat ran states like New Jersey, New York, Connecticut are the most affluent in the nation while the republican ran states, like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas the poorest. It's all democrats fault
Maybe they are more "affluent" because they they make more money.

It is ALSO true they have a much higher cost of living.

You HAVE to make more in order to live there. What are their property taxes compare to republican states?

It is all relative.

NC ranks NO.1 with S.C NO. 2 in the country WITH HOW FAR $100 GOES.

Your illustrious northern states are way down on the chart.

Don't forget NY LOST not 1 but 2 House seats after this last Census.

SC gained 1 seat and NC came real close to gaining 1.

If NY, NJ and Conn so great, why are so many people leaving?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe they are more "affluent" because they they make more money.

It is ALSO true they have a much higher cost of living.

You HAVE to make more in order to live there. What are their property taxes compare to republican states?

It is all relative.

NC ranks NO.1 with S.C NO. 2 in the country WITH HOW FAR $100 GOES.

Your illustrious northern states are way down on the chart.
Doesn't matter.

There is no replacement for income. I'd personally rather make $100,000 in Manhattan than your $40,000 in NC (or whatever its equivalent would be, for discussion purposes).

Reason? I can play better defense and bank more in the 401k. Suppose we both save 20% annually towards retirement. My portfolio is stacking $20,000 to your $8,000. When I'm done working, my portfolio will be 2.5 times the size of yours. I can retire and move wherever the hell I want. You are stuck living in a low cost of living area because that is all you will be able to afford.

Do you think northerners bring their retirement money south for the politics?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Don't forget NY LOST not 1 but 2 House seats after this last Census.
NY's seat lost is due to population proportions, not total population. All of the Northern States gain population due to birth replacement. Immigration is more common in the South. Immigration along with retirement migration bolsters population growth in the south.

Quote:
SC gained 1 seat and NC came real close to gaining 1.

If NY, NJ and Conn so great, why are so many people leaving?
Housing costs in the NYC Metro Area. Housing costs are the #1 reason people re-locate. Do you actually think people in California envy Texans?

(California's migration to Texas is positive for the middle class. California's actually receives more millionaire / billionaire migrants than it loses, despite sky-high millionaire income tax rates)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies