Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is very little in the way of facts presented in any of the articles.
Exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 23-year-old teacher at a Cambridge, Maryland, middle school has been placed on leave and—in the words of a local news report—"taken in for an emergency medical evaluation" for publishing, under a pseudonym, a novel about a school shooting. The novelist, Patrick McLaw, an eighth-grade language-arts teacher at the Mace's Lane Middle School, was placed on leave by the Dorchester County Board of Education, and is being investigated by the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office, according to news reports from Maryland's Eastern Shore. The novel, by the way, is set 900 years in the future.

In Maryland, a Soviet-Style Punishment for a Novelist - The Atlantic

Police: Md. Teacher Placed on Leave for Authoring Fictional Book of the ‘Largest School Massacre’ « CBS DC
Some people are Paranoid and are willing to violate the Constitution and Peoples Rights all in the name of a False Sense of Security, why the above story comes as any surprise to anyone that is awake is the real mystery here.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is very little in the way of facts presented in any of the articles.
Here's an article about the situation that includes some facts:

•Officials received a harassment complaint against McLaw on Aug. 15 from another teacher in the district.

•On Aug. 17 allegations were made against McLaw that he was having sex with a minor (not a student at his school). The police are investigating whether the relationship began when the minor was 15 (illegal) or 16 (legal).

•McLaw then sent a "farewell" letter to colleagues - who then reported it to authorities because they took it to be a suicide letter.

•McLaw has not been arrested, but on August 22nd was placed on paid administrative leave from his job and taken to a mental institution.

http://www.stardem.com/easternshore/...c3513b977.html

Old 09-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

•Officials received a harassment complaint against McLaw on Aug. 15 from another teacher in the district.

•On Aug. 17 allegations were made against McLaw that he was having sex with a minor (not a student at his school). The police are investigating whether the relationship began when the minor was 15 (illegal) or 16 (legal).

•McLaw then sent a "farewell" letter to colleagues - who then reported it to authorities because they took it to be a suicide letter.

•McLaw has not been arrested, but on August 22nd was placed on paid administrative leave from his job and taken to a mental institution.

Not sure who is nuts here, the teacher or those around him, I am beginning to think he might want to find a home and job in a state not populated by those that seem to take everything out on context and blow it up into something not supported by reality. Who knows maybe he does have issues, the jury, or should we say doctor, is still out on that point. But from what I have been seeing coming out of the north east these days it seems that either there is some sort of collective hysteria going on or there is something in the water they are drinking.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not sure who is nuts here, the teacher or those around him, I am beginning to think he might want to find a home and job in a state not populated by those that seem to take everything out on context and blow it up into something not supported by reality. Who knows maybe he does have issues, the jury, or should we say doctor, is still out on that point. But from what I have been seeing coming out of the north east these days it seems that either there is some sort of collective hysteria going on or there is something in the water they are drinking.
Personally, were I a Middle School principal and it came to my attention that one of my teachers was having a (perfectly legal) romantic/sexual relationship with a 16 year old, I'd do everything in my power to fire the man.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Personally, were I a Middle School principal and it came to my attention that one of my teachers was having a (perfectly legal) romantic/sexual relationship with a 16 year old, I'd do everything in my power to fire the man.
Why, if it is legal? Because You disapprove? What if it were a 21 year old female teacher and she was having a relationship with a 18 year old, would that be acceptable to you? The law is all that counts and if he was doing something legal and you went after them for it they could very well sue you for everything you have. Be careful when it comes to your own moral code, to have it is fine but to force it on others can very well land you in a deep pile of poo.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:

Thanks, that does provided a bit more information. Based upon this article one would still need to know more to come to any sort of conclusions but understanding that right now only so much can be released I'm not going to condemn anyone here yet.

This very well may end up a perfect example of how things should work.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Why, if it is legal? Because You disapprove? What if it were a 21 year old female teacher and she was having a relationship with a 18 year old, would that be acceptable to you? The law is all that counts and if he was doing something legal and you went after them for it they could very well sue you for everything you have. Be careful when it comes to your own moral code, to have it is fine but to force it on others can very well land you in a deep pile of poo.
Not simply because I disapprove, but because of the risk imposed by a person known to have sexual relationships with minor children being in daily contact with and responsible for the well-being of minor children.

And under what legal theory could I be sued? Only one state offers legal protection from being fired for legal, off-duty conduct - so you might have a case in Colorado - but even Colorado's law has an exception that would probably allow a teen-diddling teacher to be fired for that reason.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Not sure who is nuts here, the teacher or those around him, I am beginning to think he might want to find a home and job in a state not populated by those that seem to take everything out on context and blow it up into something not supported by reality.
At this point we can not come to that conclusion. What was in the letter that caused the other teacher to file a complaint? Maybe an over reaction, maybe not.

Was the 15-16 year old a student? If so he should be fired legally under age or not.

Quote:
Who knows maybe he does have issues, the jury, or should we say doctor, is still out on that point. But from what I have been seeing coming out of the north east these days it seems that either there is some sort of collective hysteria going on or there is something in the water they are drinking.
I have no idea why people want to demonize an entire group of people like this. Yes, you see it with the south, with politics with all sorts of things.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Not simply because I disapprove, but because of the risk imposed by a person known to have sexual relationships with minor children being in daily contact with and responsible for the well-being of minor children.

And under what legal theory could I be sued? Only one state offers legal protection from being fired for legal, off-duty conduct - so you might have a case in Colorado - but even Colorado's law has an exception that would probably allow a teen-diddling teacher to be fired for that reason.
They are not minor children if they are the legal age, did you simply ignore that fact?

If they are not committing any crime and you attempt to have them fired they can sue you on several grounds, and guess what, if they could prove that you did attempt or get them fired, they would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies