Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And there are plenty of basic vocations that can earn you a comfortable living.

Have you ever had your house painted, a fence built, a deck installed, a concrete driveway poured, landscaping done, sheet rock hung, etc. etc. etc.?

All of those are basic vocations that pay good money. If you have the desire to learn them and then take the initiative to work for yourself, you can have a nice lifestyle.

NOBODY is paying minimum wage to have their house painted. NOBODY is paying minimum wage to have landscaping done.

I just had my house painted earlier this year. I bought the paint (because I wanted to guarantee I was getting the paint I wanted) and paid the crew $3800 for the work. There were 4 guys and it took them 2 full days of about 10 hours. Let's say their supplies cost them $800, leaving $3000 profit. That means I was paying $37.50 per man hour. Obviously, the "boss" probably made a ton of cash and the other guys were really making $15 to $20 per hour, but the point is still valid.

Sure, there will be some people who truly don't have the ability to do even that type of work, and I'm ok with paying for social programs to assist them.

We can get into a whole other thread about who is willing to work and who isn't.

I'm just curious...what % of that crew were Hispanic? Where I live, there's 50+ houses under construction (I'm not exaggerating) in our large subdivision. I would estimate that 80% or more of the tradesmen working on those houses are Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronius View Post
Anyone knows with no education at all employer's have been squeezing the min wage for all its worth for the past 20 years or so. All you need to do is look at the non-skilled occupations of home seller's selling homes at a price that two graduating professionals can barely afford.

So that would be point number one.

Point number two has to do with:

The easy understanding which explains the jobs which are available are JOBS which are needed by the community or whatever , are majority un-skilled occupations and require a person to do the work for what ?

- so people can get their groceries
- eat out in an assortment of ways
- travel in an assortment of ways
- get their nails and hair done
- and on and on and on

Point number three:

If there is an abundance or greater number of skilled workers how the heck is that going to

create more jobs - in order to create the suggested greater amount of higher paying jobs ?

Point number three:

If the minimum wage cannot keep up with the inflation of cost of things to do with the necessities for example a loaf of bread, the overview cannot reflect anything but a depreciating minimum wage.

Point number four:

If the minimum wage was four dollars an hour all the board members or entrepreneurs, franchise's etc etc would be jumping out of their shoes for joy and couldn't care less if it was the milkman who wound up with the subsidy bill.

Trying to candy coat greed will never get off the tee . Also what do you guys think is creating the graph re distribution or is it just a coincidence or something. Welcome to robot capitalism where the robot follows the chief objective of profit.
"Welcome to robot capitalism".
More like, Welcome to the real world. You sound like you don't like capitalism? Well, you can always move.
Like I said in my first sentence, it's 'competitive' out there. Whether you're competing with the guy in the cube next to you, people on your sales team or some guy in India, he who does the best job wins.
That's just life. Sorry to break it to you.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
We can get into a whole other thread about who is willing to work and who isn't.

I'm just curious...what % of that crew were Hispanic? Where I live, there's 50+ houses under construction (I'm not exaggerating) in our large subdivision. I would estimate that 80% or more of the tradesmen working on those houses are Hispanic.
100%, including the guy who ran the company.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Small businesses typically recruit and hire undocumented workers for ^ jobs. And not all of them are Hispanic. Eastern Europeans come in on tourist visas, work, return home, rinse and repeat. The small business employer pays undocumented workers less. Those who employ documented workers have to compete with those who hire undocumented workers. And around we go.
I see no point here.

There are no laws against you starting a painting company.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is just one big conservative strawman argument.
Translation: Nah, that's just too much work.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 09-18-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
"Welcome to robot capitalism".
More like, Welcome to the real world. You sound like you don't like capitalism? Well, you can always move.
Like I said in my first sentence, it's 'competitive' out there. Whether you're competing with the guy in the cube next to you, people on your sales team or some guy in India, he who does the best job wins.
That's just life. Sorry to break it to you.
Well, the RWNJs would like people to believe, "That's just life". In their twisted and greed filled existence that may be true but it sure isn't true for the workers of our country. If you want to compete with third world countries when it comes to wages you will become a third world country. The USA is headed that way as multinational corporations rule the roost in Yankeeland.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Translation:

"I don't like what I'm reading, so rather than go find information which refutes it, I'm just going to blurt out some nonsense about 'conservatives,' which doesn't refute anything, but will make me feel better."
No it's not.

The OP has no content to it.

Conservative ideology is more about inspiration, rhetoric, and beliefs than information, studies, and data. This OP does not take a quantative approach to the minimum wage. It simply says, I believe people should do X so we can forget about minimum wage (in between equating minimum wage workers to monkeys... with no racial undertones there! ).

Like I said, strawman argument. It doesn't say anything to address the discussion about raising the minimum wage.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
If you're working for minimum wage then you qualify for govt assistance. (affordable housing, food, healthcare, etc). When you factor that in, some people working minimum wage have more than the average middle class working man.
When you factor that in, you and I are helping to fund the payroll of companies based on minimum-wage employees, and ain't that a kick in the teeth?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Flipping burgers, stocking shelves, etc is low skill, low value, and thus low pay. A monkey could be trained to do that and for less money. While these functions are 'essential', they don't provide value. Too many people can do it the exact same way.
There will always be hundreds of thousands of people stacking shelves and cooking hamburgers. Is it really OK for a society claiming to be rich to have them living that much on the edge?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
America is not rich. We are 18 TRILLION in debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies