Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the welders didn't do their research...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
much easier to march for income equality and freedom from racial discrimination
than to pursue a trade.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Someone who is desperate, has no money or food very well might enter into any agreement no matter how bad it is because of his circumstances. The fact he is entering into the agreement of his own free will has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether he is being exploited or not. A person can be tricked into a bad exploitative agreement and it happens every single day. A person who lacks intelligence can be exploited and often is even though he is going along with it.
The fact that they entered knowingly and willingly into the agreement has ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING to do with it. What does not matter is whatever internal motivation influenced their decision. A person who lacks intelligence is subject to natural selection. If you feel life is somehow not fair, then guess what... it's not supposed to be. Everyone, anyone, is free enter into whatever agreement presents itself. Whining about it after the fact is what is useless as there are many others who will take their place in a heartbeat.

You live and learn... or you don't live long. And all the baby turtles don't make it to the sea.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Ah yes. The old argument that its not exploitation, which ignores the reality that one side has disproportionate information, and or power int he relationship.

Yes in a perfect world these ideas are in fact awesome. Meanwhile back in the REAL world...not as much.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The fact that they entered knowingly and willingly into the agreement has ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING to do with it. What does not matter is whatever internal motivation influenced their decision. A person who lacks intelligence is subject to natural selection. If you feel life is somehow not fair, then guess what... it's not supposed to be. Everyone, anyone, is free enter into whatever agreement presents itself. Whining about it after the fact is what is useless as there are many others who will take their place in a heartbeat.

You live and learn... or you don't live long. And all the baby turtles don't make it to the sea.
Well, all I can say is that in the few countries of the world where your post is a reality, life is short and brutal. Somalia fits your description quite well. In a "civilized " society your assertions are just complete BS. Even under the concepts put forward in "English common law" your claims are junk.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
You can not exploit someone who voluntarily enters into an agreement. Who is being treated unfairly in a voluntary agreement?
The poor government. Without their hands all up in your business at the very least they feel sad.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, all I can say is that in the few countries of the world where your post is a reality, life is short and brutal. Somalia fits your description quite well. In a "civilized " society your assertions are just complete BS. Even under the concepts put forward in "English common law" your claims are junk.
How so? In a "civilized" society, men are free to enter into agreements and it is commonly acknowleged that they will be bound to those agreements. To enter into an agreement (such as employment) and immediately seek to change the terms is hardly civilized. If you don't like the terms, seek elsewhere. If you agree to the terms then you are deeming them to be acceptable and are by law and by honor bound to adhere to them.

No one can exploit you unless to agree to it. I know that my employer makes a profit from my labor and passes along to me a portion of that profit. Am I being exploited? Perhaps, but it's workable for me and so I work and they pay me. Same with a burger flipper or pickle tosser. The wage earned reflects the value brought to the table for the employer. Higher wages reflect the employee brings more potential value to the business. If the MW is raised, it would indicate a rise in the value provided by the average unskilled employee.

If the McJob worker gets $15/hr, am I guaranteed a pleasant experience in the store? Will their English proficiency increase? Will the order become more accurate? Will the store be cleaner? Or is their inability to manage their own lives still going to be the rule. If the inability of McWorkers to meet their obligations based on a McWage is still a problem, then those workers need to deal with it - not their employer and not society at large. Let them up their game and become worth something.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
If you're working for minimum wage then you qualify for govt assistance. (affordable housing, food, healthcare, etc). When you factor that in, some people working minimum wage have more than the average middle class working man. All in all what people need to do is learn to live within thier means. There should be no reason why someone working at a fast food joint should be going out and buying a $200+ pair of Jordans then complain about their salary. That $200 could have gone towards some type of training course to further their education or skill set for a trade of some sort.
Laughable. A minimum wage job where I live won't even pay for food, mandatory government imposed insurance, shelter, and transportation. Ones 'means' when working for minimum wage is to live in a cardboard box. Is that what you are really advocating for?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And there are plenty of basic vocations that can earn you a comfortable living.

Have you ever had your house painted, a fence built, a deck installed, a concrete driveway poured, landscaping done, sheet rock hung, etc. etc. etc.?

All of those are basic vocations that pay good money. If you have the desire to learn them and then take the initiative to work for yourself, you can have a nice lifestyle.

NOBODY is paying minimum wage to have their house painted. NOBODY is paying minimum wage to have landscaping done.

I just had my house painted earlier this year. I bought the paint (because I wanted to guarantee I was getting the paint I wanted) and paid the crew $3800 for the work. There were 4 guys and it took them 2 full days of about 10 hours. Let's say their supplies cost them $800, leaving $3000 profit. That means I was paying $37.50 per man hour. Obviously, the "boss" probably made a ton of cash and the other guys were really making $15 to $20 per hour, but the point is still valid.

Sure, there will be some people who truly don't have the ability to do even that type of work, and I'm ok with paying for social programs to assist them.
Actually, I know a guy that operates a painting business, tree service, and roofing service. He pays his guys $10/hr and requires they be on call 24/7. They usually work around 5 hours/day, 7 days a week. No benefits whatsoever, he doesn't even give them 15 minute breaks.

These 'jobs' are full time, they are 'in demand' skills, it's backbreaking work, it's extremely dangerous work, it's 7 day/wk work, and it's a life of abject poverty. I've seen these guys work. They are skilled at what they do, they most certainly 'add value', but they can't even make enough money to have a place to live and a car to drive. This is how bad things are right now. It is deplorable.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

One of the basic essential elements of contract law is consideration.
Hence your entire premise is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies