Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Federal School Lunch Program has been around in some form since the late 1930s.
Early Federal Aid | Food and Nutrition Service

There were state and local programs long before that.
Early Programs by States | Food and Nutrition Service
All of which does not mean that they are a success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So you approve of bribery and coercion by the federal government to get what they want?

Good to know that some approve the destruction of freedom.
He who pays the piper (farmer) calls the tune (sets the menu).

Quote:
All of which does not mean that they are a success.
If you're looking at longevity, they certainly are a success.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,854 times
Quote:
So you approve of bribery and coercion by the federal government to get what they want?

Good to know that some approve the destruction of freedom.
You are putting words in my mouth.

No, I approve of the person buying the groceries choosing the menu. If you don't like the menu, buy your own groceries.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:58 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,224 times
Right. ONE school out of thousands. And the decision came from the Principal. Not the FedGov. Not Michelle O.
There is a reason you can't find a better example than this.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
You are putting words in my mouth.

No, I approve of the person buying the groceries choosing the menu. If you don't like the menu, buy your own groceries.

Government listed and approved groceries with no choice. And choosing the menu approved by an incompetent government intruding into and proclaiming what is acceptable, to them.

BTW, buying your own groceries solves nothing. What is produced would be rejected by the government overlords.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He who pays the piper (farmer) calls the tune (sets the menu).

If you're looking at longevity, they certainly are a success.
Communism is a long term item, but not successful. Success is judged by positive results, not government mandated definitions.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

First it was complaining that kids were too fat and we were feeding them junk
in school. Now it's complaining because the schools are serving healthy food but
the kids won't eat it and how dare Michelle Obama have an opinion about
that.

Can't win with some people
Of course she can have an opinion, regardless of how ignorant and uninformed it is. What she cannot do is to force her opinion down people throats without consultation or even being a true government official.

Quote:

In a school cafeteria that uses federal funding to feed the kids? Of course
they do. If schools don't want to follow Fed regulations requiring healthy
nutirioun guidelines then they are welcome to say no to the Federal funds and
spend their own budgets on chicken nuggets and french fries
exclusively.
[/quote]

Does a school have any option but to accept government money? Like how to spend it and what to spend it on? Or is it mandated to be spent only as a far away government proclaims it to be used?

More proscribed government interference in private life.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 AM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Student Photo's of Paltry School Lunch Raise Alarms

I was just thinking how wonderful that we have two morons in the white house. Obummer hasn't don't a single thing to make this country better other than turning the next generation of potential liberal voters into conservative voters. This was a good lesson for them I think. Add to this the working class parents coming home talking about how Obummber is "redistributing the wealth", watching dad or mom sit home searching for a job, watching mom and dad work 2-3 part time jobs to make ends meet.. Yup! Unless your in a home that Obama pays for your housing, food etc. I am guessing we have a whole new generation of conservative voters waiting in the wings!

I've turned a new leaf by turning this nightmare into a positive one..

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
There was an article in the paper today about how local cafeterias are losing money thanks to the first lady's plan.

First, let me say that I totally agree 100% with Michelle Obama in that school lunches have been unhealthy for way too long. It is time that something be done. She is spot on with her concern for our children and their diets.

That being said, The Fix to the Problem is being done ALL WRONG. First, it is not the position of the federal government to mandate a "one size fits all " dietary rule. Guidelines yes, but rules no. This is the responsibility of the parents and the school boards. Dictating what can and cannot be sold in the cafeteria is NOT the answer.

SO, being the kind of cat that does not come on here without offering a solution, here is what should have been done.

1 Educate families and students from grade 1 onward about healthy eating choices. These guidelines are available from the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetic association. We as Americans have some of the worst dietary habits in the world. I know, because I work in medicine. I see the effects of poor nutrition daily. We do have awful dietary habits, and these need to be changed not by telling people what they can or cannot buy, but by teaching people to make good choices. The guidelines are already in place, and the particulars of the curriculum can be worked out on a local level.

2 Encouraging school cafeterias to purchase locally whenever possible or appropriate. This can be aided by federal grant and voucher money, most of which now is wasted on sub-par food and packaging. While I do not expect guidelines for items such as horse-meat in the hamburger to be diminished, I would prefer to see money spent on local produce if feasible and possible. Many states waste money by having to use federal or state approved vendors, many of whom are making a huge profit off school meals at the cost of the students. By allowing local districts to shop around for the best food, (and best bragging rights) the local economy will be aided as well.

3 Offering standard meals to needy families. Let's face it, no child should starve in America. Hunger has no place in the educational system. We are a country that can provide for the world, and we need to start our charity at home with our own kids. Speaking of which, I send my kids lunches in a box daily. Due to allergies and dietary needs, I provide a far superior and far more nutritious meal than the school cafeterias do. And wait, I do it at a low cost. SO it can be done. Kids who cannot afford meals should be offered a balanced protien/veggie/fruit/beverage option. It does not have to have salt, but check the Above guidelines: Cheese is ok in many cases.

Again, I am not complaining about Mrs Obama. I think she is a beautiful lady and I admire her for caring and wanting to help out. And no, I am not on her payroll nor do I buy into the Obama Conspiracies, including the latest one about Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi secretly working with Obama. I think Mrs Obama has a great idea, but it is being taken about all wrong. No one wants me or anyone else telling them what they can and cannot buy. But I might tell you, in regards to your health, what you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT eat, but it is ultimately your choice whether you want to follow my advice and be healthier or not.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You can have good tasting fruits and vegetables. I do it all the time.
How are they seasoning them in school? I wouldn't eat some plain steamed stuff either.

You know, they've got to have some garlic, some olive oil or butter,
some cheese, some pepper, lemon juice, some spice.
Give those veggies some pizzaz.
I would kill someone for some well seasoned beet greens

As far as fruits are concerned, I'd stick with apples. What they don't eat, make into applesauce and then apple cakes and muffins.
I'm hungry !! Will you be my MOM !!! Sounds like good healthy food at your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies