Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times

Advertisements

I heard from my supervisor (I am a school cafeteria cook) that the states of Missouri and Alabama have opted out of Michelle Obama's lunch program.

We are hoping fervently that PA will be next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

I heard from my supervisor (I am a school cafeteria cook) that the states of Missouri and Alabama have opted out of Michelle Obama's lunch program.

We are hoping fervently that PA will be next.
What's wrong with her lunch program... Who would have thought common sense would prevail

http://eagnews.org/michelle-os-healt...s-the-country/

“You can go back to a little more home cooking and not have to analyze it all to death, and by doing that can make it a little more tasty. You can put a little more butter or margarine in the vegetables,” she said, which means students are “not throwing it in the trash like they did before.”

Imagine that, good tasting food that kids want to eat

Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Yep, all you have to do is tell the Feds to keep their money, your school does not want ANY of it. Then you can run your lunch program YOUR way
If your schools refuse ANY Federal money, you can run your SCHOOLS your way, as well!
Personally, I would be willing to pay more in local taxes to support the schools, and kick the Feds out of OUR educational system completely!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I would be willing to pay more in local taxes to support the schools, and kick the Feds out of OUR educational system completely!
I'm thinking if you got the Federal government out completely, your taxes might go down

Old 09-18-2014, 12:59 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
What's wrong with her lunch program... Who would have thought common sense would prevail

Missouri, Alabama schools drop Michelle O’s lunch program - EAGnews.org

“You can go back to a little more home cooking and not have to analyze it all to death, and by doing that can make it a little more tasty. You can put a little more butter or margarine in the vegetables,” she said, which means students are “not throwing it in the trash like they did before.”

Imagine that, good tasting food that kids want to eat

All that "good tasting food" that kids want to eat? They are still throwing it in the trash. The fruits and vegetables that they are "required" to take on their tray. I watched our school custodian make at least four trips hauling cans of it out to the dumpster. That's why last year's custodian took early retirement...she couldn't stand heaving out all those cans of fruit.

The first lady should tout doing a "little more home cooking" at HOME. The kids are not going for this at school.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
I just gotta know . . . .

. . . .are all the same people who beach about "entitlements" going to be the same people beaching about paying extra taxes for fat peoples' health care? (Yes, i realize most don't want Obamacare, but its here, its *****, get used to it.)

Much like i agree that fat people should not be having children (whoops Freudian slip- i meant poor people.) I don't understand why there is no where near the level of ire for "fat people entitlements" such as increased healthcare premiums and the drain on SSDI?

You can become poor literally ovenight through no fault of your own. It takes a long time to become obese. Where is the "personal responsibility!?" WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!!?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
All that "good tasting food" that kids want to eat? They are still throwing it in the trash. The fruits and vegetables that they are "required" to take on their tray. I watched our school custodian make at least four trips hauling cans of it out to the dumpster. That's why last year's custodian took early retirement...she couldn't stand heaving out all those cans of fruit.

The first lady should tout doing a "little more home cooking" at HOME. The kids are not going for this at school.
You can have good tasting fruits and vegetables. I do it all the time.
How are they seasoning them in school? I wouldn't eat some plain steamed stuff either.

You know, they've got to have some garlic, some olive oil or butter,
some cheese, some pepper, lemon juice, some spice.
Give those veggies some pizzaz.
I would kill someone for some well seasoned beet greens

As far as fruits are concerned, I'd stick with apples. What they don't eat, make into applesauce and then apple cakes and muffins.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yep, all you have to do is tell the Feds to keep their money, your school does not want ANY of it. Then you can run your lunch program YOUR way
If your schools refuse ANY Federal money, you can run your SCHOOLS your way, as well!
Yep, this is key. Want the government out of your business? Don't accept federal funds. It can be done...municipalities just have to resist the money.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
I think schools are missing a great opportunity to give kids (and some parents) experience by teaching them to cook lunch from scratch for their schools.

Schools Restore Fresh Cooking to the Cafeteria

Spartanburg school district to offer home-cooked meals
All of the district's cafeteria workers have participated in a two-week long culinary boot camp to learn the proper method of making fresh meals from scratch using local produce.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Michelle's guidelines are going to result in fatter kids. Here's why:

My 9-year-old nephew comes home from school every day completely ravished. The combination of the calorie limits and types of foods they have to give kids is going into the trash as much as it is the kids stomachs. Any kids that aren't well-supervised (often kids more likely to be poorer) are going to get home hungry and gorge on whatever is convenient around their home, most likely stuff like chips, pop tarts, cookies, hot dogs, etc.

So rather than feeding our kids reasonable, satiating foods at school, we're sending them home hungry where they're going to fill up on whatever their parents buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies