Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm always puzzled by the mentality Republicans have adapted where they seem to feel students (children) should get to dictate what they eat for lunch. When I was a kid, we either ate what was put in front of us, or we went hungry. If we didn't like the food served in the cafeteria, we could bring a sack lunch from home.
No one was crying over me when I went hungry at school because the only two choices that day were pizza with meat (which I still don't eat - and I still don't really like pizza) or sloppy joes (vom). It's perplexing to say the least that people are up in arms because their kids won't eat fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:23 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Something about school cafeterias is inherently unappetizing for children. I remember just looking at the serving line in school and feeling sick to my stomach. I don't think I ate more than one or two of the cafeteria lunches. I would bring a sack lunch from home, or go to McDonalds or Wendys.

First Lady Michelle needs to work on that problem and then get back to us. Maybe kids just have an innate fear of collectively-produced meals.
That's because the food is so bad.

It makes no sense for taxpayers to waste money on junk food for kids.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,080,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm always puzzled by the mentality Republicans have adapted where they seem to feel students (children) should get to dictate what they eat for lunch. When I was a kid, we either ate what was put in front of us, or we went hungry. If we didn't like the food served in the cafeteria, we could bring a sack lunch from home.
Not all students are "children." Teenagers are definitely not children, though in this country want seem to want to push the age of child up as the years go by. I think one is child now until they hit their mid-20s anymore. Anyways, what gives the government the right to dictate what parents in a local school district want their kids to eat? My county (suburban Indy) just had a story about this in our local paper. Same thing that is happening all across the country. Kids eating less, complaining about not being full, eating junk at home after school, sneaking in salt, claiming the food doesn't taste as good, etc.. If this is good for students, it is good for the entire country. Force McDonalds, KFC, etc. to switch to the same guidelines. The reason today's kids are overweight or obese is because lack of physical activity and eating too much. This doesn't mean they are eating too much at school, it likely means mom/dad are allowing excessive consumption of food or snacks outside of school hours. Fact is progressives think they can dictate to the masses and pass rules, laws, and regulations and completely change human behavior. They always fail because they never go full throttle with their wacko ideas. You can't change a kids eating habits when all the food they eat outside of school would be considered contraband if served in the school.

All that is going to eventually happen is the poor schools will have kids eating the things they like, tossing the stuff that is tasteless. The upper middle class and upper class area schools seem to be telling the US Gov to go ahead and take back their money because those kids are doing exactly as you recommended, bringing in their own food. Thus, the schools are taking in less money as their paying customer base dwindles and seeing a huge amount of food waste when kids are tossing the tasteless food. Liberal logic at its finest.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Not all students are "children." Teenagers are definitely not children, though in this country want seem to want to push the age of child up as the years go by. I think one is child now until they hit their mid-20s anymore. Anyways, what gives the government the right to dictate what parents in a local school district want their kids to eat? My county (suburban Indy) just had a story about this in our local paper. Same thing that is happening all across the country. Kids eating less, complaining about not being full, eating junk at home after school, sneaking in salt, claiming the food doesn't taste as good, etc.. If this is good for students, it is good for the entire country. Force McDonalds, KFC, etc. to switch to the same guidelines. The reason today's kids are overweight or obese is because lack of physical activity and eating too much. This doesn't mean they are eating too much at school, it likely means mom/dad are allowing excessive consumption of food or snacks outside of school hours. Fact is progressives think they can dictate to the masses and pass rules, laws, and regulations and completely change human behavior. They always fail because they never go full throttle with their wacko ideas. You can't change a kids eating habits when all the food they eat outside of school would be considered contraband if served in the school.

All that is going to eventually happen is the poor schools will have kids eating the things they like, tossing the stuff that is tasteless. The upper middle class and upper class area schools seem to be telling the US Gov to go ahead and take back their money because those kids are doing exactly as you recommended, bringing in their own food. Thus, the schools are taking in less money as their paying customer base dwindles and seeing a huge amount of food waste when kids are tossing the tasteless food. Liberal logic at its finest.
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. Taxpayers are paying for the food. Kids don't have "freedom" eat what they want on the taxpayer's dime.

If your kid is hungry, maybe he should eat the food, even if he "doesn't like it". It's not the government's duty to feed kids pizza.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Why are taxpayers feeding these kids to begin with? This is the responsibility of parents.

Your decision to procreate doesn't obligate others to feed your kids.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why are taxpayers feeding these kids to begin with? This is the responsibility of parents.

Your decision to procreate doesn't obligate others to feed your kids.
Oh, for Ford's sake! The School Lunch Program is a Dept. of Ag program, with farmers as well as students being the beneficiaries. It gives the farmers a market for their products.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
What's wrong with her lunch program... Who would have thought common sense would prevail

Missouri, Alabama schools drop Michelle O’s lunch program - EAGnews.org

“You can go back to a little more home cooking and not have to analyze it all to death, and by doing that can make it a little more tasty. You can put a little more butter or margarine in the vegetables,” she said, which means students are “not throwing it in the trash like they did before.”

Imagine that, good tasting food that kids want to eat
Have you tasted the food? I forgot my lunch one day and bought what was supposed to be a cheese burger. I think it was sawdust held together with orange Elmers glue on top. Tasteless, dry and almost inedible.

On the bright side, I don't forget my lunch anymore and neither do the kids. They bring all kinds of junk to school now (I eat better if I bring my lunch so it works for me). If I were a kid right now, I'd bring enough to sell and make some money on the side. It's common to have one student get their parents to call them off for 3rd hour so they can go on a lunch run and bring in fast food for themselves and their friends.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
That's because the food is so bad.

It makes no sense for taxpayers to waste money on junk food for kids.
What's sad is our cafeteria used to have decent food. Last year I bough my lunch more than I brought my lunch. I have bought my lunch twice this year. The hot wings are still good but that's about it. Everything else is dry and tasteless.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
I'm so glad that my mother realized that as a child I wouldn't like everything that she liked. I was told to try everything and decide if I liked it or not. I hated lima beans, she loved them. She would cook them and didn't force me to eat them. There were other foods she liked that I didn't. I just had more of whatever else was on the table. I did the same with my daughter and she does the same with my grandson.

Did you like everything you were forced to eat? When did you get to choose what you liked and didn't like, when you moved out of the house?
My family were raised on a farm. Nothing is wasted. That is how we were raised,

Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
I have eaten the fruit and veggies at my old high school and they are gross.
All the food is canned including fruit and veggies.
These lunch are bad and kids go to the local 7-11 get snacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies