Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Were I a parent, and you tried to force my kid to eat everything on their plate, we would have a huge issue.

That's the problem with parents these days. They're not willing to have discipline instilled in their kids.

Quote:
You can offer the food, but you don't get to dictate that they "sit there" until they've eaten it. It doesn't work in homes, it's not going to work in schools. I had the strictest parents in the world and their "sit there until you eat all of it" BS didn't work. I held out much longer, and they finally gave in.
You had weak-willed parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:49 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Liver and onions, eggs scrambled with spinach, yep - I ate it all up, when the dessert value was of sufficient weight.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Liver and onions, eggs scrambled with spinach, yep - I ate it all up, when the dessert value was of sufficient weight.
We always got dessert too when we finished our dinner. And on the very, very rare occasion one of us refused to eat something, he had to sit at the dinner table until bedtime, and then whatever was left uneaten was breakfast. Food was never thrown away.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Just curious, now that you are grown up do you still eat them? Personally, I like both of those dishes, but then again I like most everything except Indian food, something about the spices and texture (everything is mush) that turns me off.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:01 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's the problem with parents these days. They're not willing to have discipline instilled in their kids.

You had weak-willed parents.
Yeah, you go on thinking that. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on CD. Ever. Talk about weak willed parents? You got to go to bed. That's weak willed. No, we were up for many, many hours PAST my bedtime. Not a fan of reenacting scenes from 'Mommie Dearest' but if that's how you wish to treat kids, maybe you should stay far the hell away from them.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yeah, you go on thinking that. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on CD. Ever. Talk about weak willed parents? You got to go to bed. That's weak willed. No, we were up for many, many hours PAST my bedtime. Not a fan of reenacting scenes from 'Mommie Dearest' but if that's how you wish to treat kids, maybe you should stay far the hell away from them.
Yeah, because requiring that you kids eat their veggies (which really isn't that hard to do if you start out right and are consistent) is the same as being a lunatic and beating children with wire hangers.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why are they tossing it?

I hear from so many posters that their children come home from school 'starving', which is going to lead to overeating at home.

If the kids were really starving, they wouldn't be throwing away food.

I've been thin my entire life. When I was in grade school, we brought our own lunches, and purchased either milk, chocolate milk, or orange juice (if we had the money to do so).

My lunch was usually peanut butter and jelly. No cookies; no crackers; maybe a piece of fruit.

I don't recall feeling 'starved' when I got home at 2:30 or 3:00pm.
And, yes, we actually had recess twice a day, outside; playing games, jumping rope, etc., otherwise known today as physical exercise.

IF these kids are throwing their food away, it's most likely due to conservative brainwashing from their parents.

Starving kids do not reject food. They're just spoiled brats.
What time was lunch at school for you? Between 12 and 1? What do you do when your kid is scheduled for "lunch" at 9AM?? That's what time my grandson is scheduled for lunch and he is in high school. He eats breakfast at 7:30 before he leaves the house. He "rejects" the food because he's not hungry, not because he is spoiled or been brainwashed. When he gets out of school at 2:30 and it takes him 30-45 minutes to get home. He is starving when he gets out of school and makes a pit stop to grab something to eat. If it was your child would you stop feeding him breakfast so that he can have his lunch at 9AM just so the school food doesn't go to waste?

You seem to be under the impression that ALL schools schedule lunch between 12 and 1.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Michelle's guidelines are going to result in fatter kids. Here's why:

My 9-year-old nephew comes home from school every day completely ravished. The combination of the calorie limits and types of foods they have to give kids is going into the trash as much as it is the kids stomachs. Any kids that aren't well-supervised (often kids more likely to be poorer) are going to get home hungry and gorge on whatever is convenient around their home, most likely stuff like chips, pop tarts, cookies, hot dogs, etc.

So rather than feeding our kids reasonable, satiating foods at school, we're sending them home hungry where they're going to fill up on whatever their parents buy.
The kids are fat because the schools aren't feeding them enough so they junk up on the crap their parents buy?? Seems you are blaming the wrong party here.

How about not depending on the school to feed your child and send him/her with a packed lunch?? It is so much easier to complain though isn't it.

Some must have missed it but the FEDERAL Government has controlled what is or isn't in "school lunches" since there have been "school lunches", it has nothing to do with Mrs. Obama.

When I was in school a LONG time ago(70's), I got up in the morning had breakfast if I wanted, I had supplies to make a lunch if I wanted to, I had money if I wanted what they were serving that day(Friday was best), there was stuff for me to eat if I was hungry before dinner, and I was raised by a single mother(divorce) that worked every day and made too much for us to qualify for any government assistance.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Michelle has nothing to do with the National School Lunch Program or deciding menus or guidelines. It makes a great alternate universe right wing nut talking point though - especially with that clever bit putting moo into Michelle.
Harry Truman signed the National School Lunch Program. Does her "Let's Move" campaign ring a bell? She was the author of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act which Barry signed off on and basically overhauled the NSLP.

Quote:
In 2010, the federal government proposed the first major overhaul to the school lunch program in 15 years! Promoted by First Lady Michelle Obama and signed by the president, the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act hoped to encourage children to make healthier choices during the school day by updating the National School Lunch Program’s nutritional requirements to better meet dietary needs.
Coming to a School Lunch Tray Near You - US News

The article outlines the "guidelines" of the Act which Michelle is responsible for.

She has everything to do with the changes to the lunches served in schools.

Quote:
The healthier meal requirements are a key component of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which was championed by the First Lady as part of her Let's Move! campaign and signed in to law by President Obama
Nutrition, Health and Education Advocates Applaud Historic Improvements to Meals Served in America's Schools | USDA Newsroom

Old 09-24-2014, 02:58 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
Share stingy! That sounds good.You had meat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies