Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post

The problem with GMOs is when they're engineered to resist ungodly amounts of pesticide, which cannot be washed off and ends up being consumed.
And the Monsanto chemicals ends up killing all the natural plant and wildlife around it. Anything that isn't genetically engineered to resist the Monsanto herbicides and pesticides is killed off. The winds, rivers and rain carry the chemicals for miles around. Every year thousands of plant and animal species become extinct. I wonder how much these frankenstein chemicals are contributing to all these extinctions. How long before the planet becomes totally uninhabitable. I wonder how much these chemicals are responsible for causing cancer in humans.

Monsanto one of the biggest producers of DDT once told the public that DDT was perfectly harmless and safe to consume until DDT was banned in the US in 1970. They are about as credible as the tobacco companies.

Last edited by cisco kid; 09-24-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Thank you Monsanto for your "studies" that let us know that your product is "safe". Great work!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I try and grow my own food in my back yard. No GMO there.

I don't make enough to shop at Whole Foods. There is a nice Amish farm north of me with local produce and food, I shop there some during the year when I can.

Hiding from all GMO is about impossible in this world. I do think they should have to have it labeled at the super market though. No reason why people shouldn't know what they are buying. Thats not a liberal position.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
It's a complete copout since you cannot back up your claim.
Oh well..
This is just one quick example I found instantly-you can search the internet for the rest of them yourself, but as some on this board seem to already understand you are the biggest cheerleader around for GMO and corporately patented food, so it will take more than most of us are willing to take before you change your mind.

In February of 2013, the FCT hired Monsanto’s former employee, Richard E. Goodman, for a new position reviewing biotechnology papers. On November 19, the FCT reported its decision to retract the published paper stating the study’s results were inconclusive because there weren’t enough rats used in the study, and the strain of rat used was not acceptable.
Writing for CRIIGEN, the independent lab with which Seralini is affiliated, Frédérique Baudouin noted that a short Monsanto study, which was published in the same journal to prove the safety of its product, “was conducted with the same strain and number of rats.”
Séralini has promised to sue. (source)
- See more at: GMO Rat Study Retracted..by New Journal Editor from (Surprise!) Monsanto |

A European network of scientists (ENSSER) has also published a scathing condemnation of FCT’s behavior, warning that this level of corruption is “a flagrant abuse of science” that will “decrease public trust in science.” No doubt. - See more at: GMO Rat Study Retracted..by New Journal Editor from (Surprise!) Monsanto |

Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I don't make enough to shop at Whole Foods. There is a nice Amish farm north of me with local produce and food, I shop there some during the year when I can.

Hiding from all GMO is about impossible in this world. I do think they should have to have it labeled at the super market though. No reason why people shouldn't know what they are buying. Thats not a liberal position.

There are several local produce markets in my neighborhood I use as well as growing some things myself. I also usually only shop at Trader Joe's, which is not very expensive but sometimes does have GMO.

At the end of the day, it doesn't even matter if GMO food is safe or not. There are some of us that believe food should not be patented and controlled by private corporations-especially ones that have infiltrated and discredited the integrity of our Government-like Monsanto and Dupont.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There are several local produce markets in my neighborhood I use as well as growing some things myself. I also usually only shop at Trader Joe's, which is not very expensive but sometimes has GMO.
We have one trader joes in the area, in Nashville. To far away for my shopping.

Clarksville has Wal-mart, food lion, Krogers, Publix, and a few others here and there.

Like I said, I think all GMO should be labeled that way. Let the market decide what they want to eat based off of consumer shopping. If price is better on GMO's and the public doesn't care, they'll keep buying it. If non GMO costs more, and the people want that, they'll buy it.

We should have informed consumers, and without mandated labeling of GMO's, we can not make an informed decision.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So things like crop rotation, no-till farming, management of pesticide runoff and erosion control, all things that require "extra work for no return", are "unsustainable technology? What about ANY so-called organic product? All require extra work for no return-are they unsustainable?
As far as rotation, it's not profitable. Corn is profitable and the farmers planted it in succession instead of rotation. They brought this weed/insect resistance on themselves.

As far as organic, they are able to charge twice as much with that "organic" label so it is worth their while.
The government does not require a lot of "extra work" for that organic label.

The Bt corn was introduced in 2003. By 2009 scientists saw that weeds/insects were becoming resistant to it.

Here's an example.

My chickens are let out every morning. They have full access to sun, grass, bugs, etc.
They don't fully free range else the hawks will get them but they do get range and they are outside every day.
I consider my eggs "free range".

According to the USDA though, "free range" means they have ACCESS to outside, not that they actually go outside. So you have these huge chicken houses with thousands of chickens inside and one door leading to a 2x4 "yard". You can go google this. I have seen this first hand. Very little extra effort here and they reap double the profits because they can market their eggs as coming from "free range chickens".

So think about that the next time you see free range eggs for twice the price.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Monsanto has deep pockets though.

Consumers did win one though with that cow hormone and labeled milk. Monsanto lost and then sold off the hormone.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Monsanto has deep pockets though.

Consumers did win one though with that cow hormone and labeled milk. Monsanto lost and then sold off the hormone.
Which is why we need legislatures who aren't beholden to special interest groups, just the voters.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Monsanto doesn't just have deep pockets, they are literally in bed with the government.

Quote:
Numerous government agency appointments by the Obama administration are of people who were previously, or are currently employed by Monsanto . While there are dozens of such point of overlap between Monsanto and federal agencies, the three most important appointments by the Obama administration are that of Michael Taylor, Roger, Beachy, and Islam Siddiqui—all three of these Monsanto affiliates were appointed to high level, influential positions within the federal government.
Monsanto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies