Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should bullies get life in prison?
Yes, their victims need justice and closure 17 20.99%
No, that's excessive and ridiculous 64 79.01%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:00 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times

Advertisements

They shouldn't be given life but if it's clear that their bullying harmed someone they should be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:00 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,520 times
You have to keep in mind, that the vast majority of those who bully, were abused at some point in their lives as well. It's a learned trait, that is acted out emotionally onto others. With that said, there does need to be some form of intense punishment and therapy, but life in prison is not just or constitutional for being a bully.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,972,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
You have to keep in mind, that the vast majority of those who bully, were abused at some point in their lives as well. It's a learned trait, that is acted out emotionally onto others. With that said, there does need to be some form of intense punishment and therapy, but life in prison is not just or constitutional for being a bully.
Intense punishment? You mean what, like physical abuse, juvie? Or more like rehab of some kind, like a crappy summer camp or something?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Bullies need to be punished, but how can anyone prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the person didn't have many other issues other than being bullied? Seems like something that would be impossible to prosecute.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 PM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
No they should not serve life in prison because someone killed THEMSELVES.

I think many people have been bullied in some sort of fashion or another, but those people don't go off themselves.

Parents also need to get involved, but they need to know what is actual bullying and what is harmless teasing. There IS a difference.

I was seriously bullied by this one little nasty girl in grade school. She literally scared the crap out of me because I was sure she was going to get violent with me. She harassed me, she threatened me, she'd follow me home, she'd pull on my hair, grab things from my hands, ball up her fist at me, and pull on my clothes. She scared me.

So I told my mom.

If Mom's kids were totally innocent, you do not mess with her kids. It was rare that we were totally innocent, but in this case, I was, and I was not privy to the conversation she had with the girl's mother. Yes, when Mom went to the bedroom and closed the door to make a phone call, you knew someone was getting their arse ripped up one side and down the other.

That girl NEVER bothered me again after that. Shortly after, I never saw her again.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:31 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
No. People who commit suicide have more problems than a bully.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:33 PM

433 posts, read 291,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Bullying sucks, but why has it become this major issue lately? Stand up for your damn self and grow a pair.
Because it is a issue meant to detracts Americans from how awful government run schools are...A non issue meant to keep real issues from being in the spot light.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,964 times
Here's some information regarding statistics. I can see from the messages people really do not understand or know what is going on today with bullying.

Cyber Bullying Statistics - Bullying Statistics

Bullying and Suicide - Bullying Statistics

"Grow a pair?" Really? And no, there is not something "more wrong" with the person who commits suicide than the bully. [shaking head]

I would love to see consequences for extreme cyber bullying--it is insidious--since many commit criminal acts in doing so, but life in prison is excessive.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
I think that all bullies need to have their asses kicked so bad that they can't walk for month and if the keep up their bulling after that kick it again!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
We've heard some stories of high school bullies whose victims have taken their own lives due to the grief they have gone through. Do you think even though these bullies are minors, they have essentially proven themselves as worthless human beings and should get life and or death as a way to comfort the victims' families and protect the greater society?
You aren't responsible for what someone else does. Someone could bully one person and they just laugh it off and bully another person and that person commits suicide. The punishment for both should be the same. You should only be held responsible for what you do, not what someone else chooses to do in response. That's up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies