Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
Thank you. I don't mean to come off as rude, but much of this harking back to the "good old days" and dislike of the current generations is imo nonsense.
I didn't take your opinions as rude at all, just an informative post about how a lot of aspects of the past were not so great, others were, imo. It's a toss-up, and virtually the same comparisons could be made between any two consecutively occuring era's...... I'm sure 150 years from now, people will be having this same conversation about our era and theirs, only they'll be discussing different subject matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 PM

302 posts, read 196,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I didn't take your opinions as rude at all, just an informative post about how a lot of aspects of the past were not so great, others were, imo. It's a toss-up, and virtually the same comparisons could be made between any two consecutively occuring era's...... I'm sure 150 years from now, people will be having this same conversation about our era and theirs, only they'll be discussing different subject matter.
Thank you. There are a lot of people here who seem to take any opinion contrary to theirs as a personal insult and result to insults themselves. Thankfully, you don't seem to be one of them.

I'm sure people will too, but that has happened throughout the ages. Whether society gets better or worse remains to be seen.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2religious View Post
Condoms are unaffordable for many teenagers and young adults without any jobs. Should condoms be given out for free to those people to prevent diseases and unexpected pregnancies? Teenagers having babies often means living under poverty which will cost us tax payers money in other ways such as food stamp, health care, etc.

What do you think?
So the government gives out the rubbers in this scenario?

Do they put them on for us too?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Thank you. I don't mean to come off as rude, but much of this harking back to the "good old days" and dislike of the current generations is imo nonsense.
No, it isn't. There were many good examples pointed out in here how some things were better in the past (for everyone) but like many in here they only focus on the bad such as racism, discrimination, slavery, etc. against blacks.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Well I prefer condoms to welfare but these are the people who shouldn't be having sex. Teens are too young.
But if they commit a crime my guess is you would not think them too young to be charged as an adult. There in lies the problem, defining who is an adult or child, one simply cannot be an adult one moment a child the next..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
For all the crap this current generation has, I'd still rather live NOW than 50 years ago.

I love how people just instantly think that if something is in the past it's instantly better. "In the past, people had more sense and cared more about others..."

Bullsh*t.

Yeah, in the past, kids dying from chicken pox and polio was still a thing
In the past, people thought the earth was flat and that it was the center of the universe.
In the past, blacks and whites couldn't drink from the same water fountains.
In the past, it took you all damn day just to get 75 miles from where you were.
In the past, people's knowledge of tobacco and drugs were at best limited and only "bad people" smoked weed.
In the past, the world was actually further apart and more divisive.
In the past, if you explained basic 1st grade science in certain places, you were called a witch and burned at the stake.
In the past, in this country, if you weren't a straight white, conservative Christian American-born male, you were considered less than. Start from white women then any other group was treated even worse...

I get sick of people thinking this. It's nice to be nostalgic every once in a while, but let's get real, people. The past wasn't all sunshine and roses like some make it out to be.

Last edited by JJG; 09-29-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Besides, have you ever had sex with a virgin? It sucks.

Haha, this made me laugh. I'd like to add that having sex with a guy who hasn't had much experience/partners sucks as well. ESPECIALLY when they're in their 40's & STILL don't have good moves. What is that all about??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your analogy is completely unrelated to having sex as a minor and encouraging them through handing them birth control methods. The only one that can get hurt is you in your analogy and there is nothing morally wrong about rock climbing.
It's completely a good analogy, you simply don't appreciate it.

Quote:
But, like I said, I think people should have the right to make their own decisions in a society, even if that decision is moral bankruptcy.
Now the decision to have sex is morally bankrupt?? I'll say it again, people who have such a prim view of sex have horrible sex themselves.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Accept we've made the world what it is. We can change it. I'm not naïve, I know that people are going to have sex. My problem is with promoting this culture of sexual promiscuity.

As to "it's been tried".... It did work, to a degree. It used to be a shameful thing to be known as someone who slept around or have a bunch of kids to a bunch of different people....

Par for the course these days.
Excuse me? It was never a shameful thing FOR MEN. They were known as Casanovas and Playboys. "Boys will be boys" and a slap on the back.
For women, it used to be a shameful thing. They were considered dirty and used. Perhaps you'd like to go back to those days when women had to wear a scarlet letter, couldn't look anyone in the eyes, and often had to leave town. Seems like some men are still threatened by female sexuality. Sounds like a personal problem.
NO MORE!!

Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
I'm for giving free birth control and the morning after pill as well as free abortions to all eleven year old Black girls with brothers.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I'm for giving free birth control and the morning after pill as well as free abortions to all eleven year old Black girls with brothers.
I bet you believe yourself to be a real class act, not even close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies