Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 04:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you guarantee they will use them?
There are few guarantees in life.

Nevertheless, smart people hedge their bets.

Why bother putting your child in a car seat? After all, they could die anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,554,139 times
Crocs are more effective though.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not strictly and opinion that adults are role models for kids. It's a fact! They may not be passing out birth control to teens because they essentially condone promiscuous behavior but that's the end result of it. Don't make it easier for them to do it. I'm sure teens learn from their peers about birth control but I object to their parents handing it to them or encouraging them to get it elsewhere.

No, teen sex isn't new it's just that it didn't use to be promoted and taken lightly. As I said in a prior post many teens didn't use to engage in it because it was shunned by society. Birth control wasn't so readily available as it is today so teens thought twice about engaging in sex. Today we make it easier for them instead.
Lol! I hand out condoms at the nurse's office. What part of "they're going to do it anyways" are you having so much difficulty with?
When my son was a teen, "Santa" brought him a big Christmas stocking stuffed with condoms in all colours and flavours, every year.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Why does it have to be either way that we give them birth control or pay for their kids for 18 years? How about being taught right from wrong instead?
Study after study after study has shown teaching abstinence does not work.

A prime example? The children of that uber religious, family value, abstinence touting, mama grizzly.... Sarah Palin.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

A prime example? The children of that uber religious, family value touting, mama grizzly.... Sarah Palin.
Yep. Sarah herself was knocked up when she got married. Bristol got knocked up. Her son ended up marrying his pregnant girlfriend and then they divorced.
Abstinence only!! Works great!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Quote:
It's not strictly and opinion that adults are role models for kids. It's a fact!
No, teen sex isn't new it's just that it didn't use to be promoted and taken lightly. As I said in a prior post many teens didn't use to engage in it because it was shunned by society. Birth control wasn't so readily available as it is today so teens thought twice about engaging in sex. Today we make it easier for them instead.
You said:

Quote:
Handing them birth control methods is condoning the act
That in no way translated to "adults are role models for kids".
Like another poster said, what part of "THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY" don't you get?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

A prime example? The children of that uber religious, family value, abstinence touting, mama grizzly.... Sarah Palin.
So then just hand them birth control and say have at it? Perhaps it's the home environment that they are in where the adults in it don't set a good example for them. Perhaps they don't care what they watch on tv, or what movies they go to or what magazines they read or where they go after school. It's not enough to just say "no" you know.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
This might just be me, but I found girls from the more religious households to be the freakiest and sometimes easiest. They didn't tend to believe in abortion though.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
So then just hand them birth control and say have at it? Perhaps it's the home environment that they are in where the adults in it don't set a good example for them. Perhaps they don't care what they watch on tv, or what movies they go to or what magazines they read or where they go after school. It's not enough to just say "no" you know.
I already explained that wasn't the case.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You said:

That in no way translated to "adults are role models for kids".
Like another poster said, what part of "THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY" don't you get?
Handing birth control to kids is "not" being a good role model.

I like your defeatist attitude. Maybe we should hand guns to criminals. After all they are going to commit the crime anyway. Good Lord now I am beginning to see why this country is so screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies