Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 01:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I completely agree with everything you've said here. I have no quams about teaching kids about protection as part of a more serious discussion about sex. They need to know everything, but some people take that to the next level and outright encourage them to have sex by sending the idea that's no big deal and without consequences......

I don't normally judge people, but should you ever find yourself stuffing condoms in to your child's Christmas stalking, in my opinion, you've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the road. ( one poster actually admits to doing that on this thread )
Yes, that was me. My son told me he was sexually active at 16, so naturally, I equipped him with the tools, knowledge and protection he needed. From 16 to 19, he got condoms in his Christmas "stalking", along with socks, deodorant and aftershave.
Had I had a daughter who was sexually active at 16, I would have take her to an OB-GYN and got her on the pill.
What else was I supposed to do? Lock him in the basement? Tell him to just say no to those evil, loose girls?
Tell him to eat Graham Crackers to dull his sexual appetites? Put saltpeter in his food?
I know I did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:23 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
I completely agree with everything you've said here. I have no quams about teaching kids about protection as part of a more serious discussion about sex. They need to know everything, but some people take that to the next level and outright encourage them to have sex by sending the idea that's no big deal and without consequences......

I don't normally judge people, but should you ever find yourself stuffing condoms in to your child's Christmas stalking, in my opinion, you've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the road. ( one poster actually admits to doing that on this thread )

Well, I don't know that I or my wife would do that. My mom was pretty open about sex, but she would never proactively enable it. But if I found condoms in his room, while I may be a bit disappointed, I would be somewhat relieved as well, because at least I would know he was being responsible. I remember when I was 19, she found a part of condom wrapper in my room, and she was relieved to see me exercising responsibility, she made it a point to tell me don't be doing it under her roof. And not to deviate too much from topic, but it's the same with drugs... If I caught him as a teenager with a bag of weed, I'd still be p***ed A) because he is underage, and B) it is currently illegal (for now even though it decriminalized to a degree in Ohio), I would be somewhat relieved that I only found a bag of weed, and something 1,000 times more dangerous like a bag of pills. Knowing me though, I'd probably confiscate it, and keep it for myself. Pills? I'd slap the crap out of him!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Some people hear what they want to hear. I can't control that.
No, I'm looking at your post my own eyes. Where you excuse men sleeping around because "they're wired that way". You judge women, not men.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Again, you want to go back to the good old days when women were shamed and ostracized for expressing their sexuality, with finger-pointing, shunning and judging.
Never the men.
With the advent of the pill, women finally had a level playing field, and could control their fertility. I'm sorry you don't approve.
You said people should only have sex in committed relationships, sharing the rest of their lives with each other. You're not in a committed relationship.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Other people are having fun and you don't like it.
I never read in any of his posts that he was shaming women or that he wanted to go back to the days when only women were shamed for pre-marital sex. Where did he give men a pass?

As I said myself, there should be some loving feelings between two consenting "adults" otherwise we are just reducing ourselves to the animal kingdom. If it results in a lasting relationship then all the better but if not at least their were emotional feelings involved. I would consider sex to be a serious matter not just "fun" as you put it.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Knowing me though, I'd probably confiscate it, and keep it for myself. Pills? I'd slap the crap out of him!
Hahaha! My friends sister found a couple pipes & some weed in her sons room. So what did she do? She gave it all to my friend & we picked it up on the way to our vacation spot.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I never read in any of his posts that he was shaming women or that he wanted to go back to the days when only women were shamed for pre-marital sex. Where did he give men a pass?

As I said myself, there should be some loving feelings between two consenting "adults" otherwise we are just reducing ourselves to the animal kingdom. If it results in a lasting relationship then all the better but if not at least their were emotional feelings involved. I would consider sex to be a serious matter not just "fun" as you put it.
Of course we're reducing ourselves to the animal kingdom because we are in the animal kingdom. Duh. Again, go back to school. Sex IS fun. What, do you have a solemn expression on your face when you're having sex? You must be a laugh riot.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, I'm looking at your post my own eyes. Where you excuse men sleeping around because "they're wired that way". You judge women, not men.
It's been consistent throughout this entire thread.
Boys will be boys, you know.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Oh I excused them? I said men sleeping around was ok? No, I did not, I simply stated the fact that men are more genetically pre-disposed to sleeping around than women, which is a very basic fact. If anything, it's a compliment to the selective nature of women. If you want to blame something, blame evolution.

......but again, you'll extract whatever message you can manage to misconstrue from my posts in order to discredit my position, so go right ahead.... I can't control that.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
HT, I've never known your posts to be very Liberal, but the bolded above is a very liberal philosophy indeed and opens the door to all kinds of intrusions. It promotes a collectivist mentality. If we are to accept what you say as truth, then what about intervening in other areas of parental guidance? Should the school usurp the influence of parents in matters of religion as well? Not just teaching evolution, but outright telling kids that religion is false?

A public school, paid for by public tax dollars, is not the place for political ideology or promoting a lifestyle, or belief. Teaching students about sex, beyond the basic health class, is the sole responsibility of the parent.
Agreed, the schools have no right to be distributing condoms to their students. They are interfering with the parent's right to decide what's right and wrong for their own kids.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Of course we're reducing ourselves to the animal kingdom because we are in the animal kingdom. Duh. Again, go back to school. Sex IS fun. What, do you have a solemn expression on your face when you're having sex? You must be a laugh riot.
Just because something is fun is not always the sole factor that should be considered when determining whether to do it or not. I bet standing on the hood of a car going down the freeway would be "fun"...until it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies