Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,061,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Again, you want to go back to the good old days when women were shamed and ostracized for expressing their sexuality, with finger-pointing, shunning and judging.
Never the men.

With the advent of the pill, women finally had a level playing field, and could control their fertility. I'm sorry you don't approve.
You said people should only have sex in committed relationships, sharing the rest of their lives with each other. You're not in a committed relationship.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Other people are having fun and you don't like it.
ahhh yes the good old days. lots of social conservatives and third world countries hate that women become educated and expect equal and fair treatment. they would much rather women stayed in the kitchen, barefoot, pregnant and with their burkas on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Again, you want to go back to the good old days when women were shamed and ostracized for expressing their sexuality, with finger-pointing, shunning and judging.
Never the men.
With the advent of the pill, women finally had a level playing field, and could control their fertility. I'm sorry you don't approve.
You said people should only have sex in committed relationships, sharing the rest of their lives with each other. You're not in a committed relationship.
A 12 year old does not have the maturity to understand fully.
And sure..it's all fun and games until that first baby pops out and "dad" disappears.

I'm not against doling out free condoms or the pill or IUDs in school. If the parents aren't doing it then the school has to step up and take their place.

Just realize that it's not just 18 year olds "having fun"; it's 11 and 12 year olds as well.

The Mysterious and Alarming Rise of Single Parenthood in America - The Atlantic

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,135,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2religious View Post
Condoms are unaffordable for many teenagers and young adults without any jobs. Should condoms be given out for free to those people to prevent diseases and unexpected pregnancies? Teenagers having babies often means living under poverty which will cost us tax payers money in other ways such as food stamp, health care, etc.

What do you think?

They already do, don't they?

IMHO, if it would prevent one unwanted pregnancy, or one person from contracting or spreading an STD, then it's worth it.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,913,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You don't get it. Sex is happening before marriage. No way would I want to marry a virgin....I actually can't think of anything worse: being stuck in a marriage with someone who has no idea what they're doing between the sheets. The thought makes me shudder actually. I have no regrets of how much sex I've had & I look forward to a LOT more. And I probably won't ever get married, how do you like them apples? Deal with it.
Hey, I've got no problems. In my opinion, you've got every Right to be a...... well, you fill in the blank.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,582,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hey, I've got no problems. In my opinion, you've got every Right to be a...... well, you fill in the blank.
Ha! I wish I was. Not enough consistent sex, way too much time in between. It's such a bummer.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I still haven't seen an answer to the question about how safe sex, between consenting participants, regardless of frequency or number of partners, is harmful to society...other than from a puritanical religious viewpoint...something not everyone subscribes to.
Some people need to repeat their 9th grade health class.

The fact is, sex is not 100% inherently safe. Preventative measures are not 100% effective. You can't guarantee that 100% of people will use preventative measures even if they were 100% effective. For those reasons, a conservative attitude toward sex is what makes the most sense from a health standpoint.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Never the men.
As far as the difference in judging the men, well, men are wired differently. That's not an excuse for promiscuous men either, it's just a fact. Men are very visual creatures. They view sex a lot differently than women do. They aren't as selective as women. Most men would jump the bones of most any woman they find at least mildly attractive and who are ready and willing, but most women are different. I happen to think that is by design. It's a good thing that women aren't like men when it comes to sex because it somewhat controls the amount of sex being had, and limits the gene poll. If women thought about sex the same way men do, we'd still be living in caves because we'd have never got anything done.

Seriously though, from a practical standpoint, only half the species need to be judged. If the women are Conservative about who they sleep with and aren't promiscuous, that sort of takes care of the problem of promiscuous men too, doesn't it?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,007,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And sure..it's all fun and games until that first baby pops out and "dad" disappears.

I'm not against doling out free condoms or the pill or IUDs in school. If the parents aren't doing it then the school has to step up and take their place.

Just realize that it's not just 18 year olds "having fun"; it's 11 and 12 year olds as well.

I understand 16, 17 and 18 year olds doing it, as I was active at those ages. 11 and 12 is just waaaay too young. At any rate, should people wait until they are in a serious relationship? Perhaps due to the emotional strings that tend to come along with sex. Is it reality? No. Therefore it is better to be safe than sorry, and if folks are going to have sex, then at least take the necessary precautions to avoid unwanted pregnancies, STDs...ect... One of the phrases we had in high school was "make sure that if you're out playing in the rain to wear a raincoat."

My 2 cents.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

HT, I've never known your posts to be very Liberal, but the bolded above is a very liberal philosophy indeed and opens the door to all kinds of intrusions. It promotes a collectivist mentality. If we are to accept what you say as truth, then what about intervening in other areas of parental guidance? Should the school usurp the influence of parents in matters of religion as well? Not just teaching evolution, but outright telling kids that religion is false?

A public school, paid for by public tax dollars, is not the place for political ideology or promoting a lifestyle, or belief. Teaching students about sex, beyond the basic health class, is the sole responsibility of the parent.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,582,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As far as the difference in judging the men, well, men are wired differently. That's not an excuse for promiscuous men either, it's just a fact. Men are very visual creatures. They view sex a lot differently than women do. They aren't as selective as women. Most men would jump the bones of most any woman they find at least mildly attractive and who are ready and willing, but most women are different. I happen to think that is by design. It's a good thing that women aren't like men when it comes to sex because it somewhat controls the amount of sex being had, and limits the gene poll. If women thought about sex the same way men do, we'd still be living in caves because we'd have never got anything done.

Seriously though, from a practical standpoint, only half the species need to be judged. If the women are Conservative about who they sleep with and aren't promiscuous, that sort of takes care of the problem of promiscuous men too, doesn't it?
In other words, you judge the women. How predictible & sexist of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies