Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We don't repress our violent tendencies- we redirect them to sports.
You are right to a certain extent. We do nurture our tendency towards violence by indulging in violent entertainment, the same way we do sex. The only difference is, we can't act out on the violence. Not so with sex. Sexual entertainment promotes this culture of promiscuity, normalizes it, makes it acceptable.
Quote:
So what are you going to do? Force shotgun weddings and ban divorce?
I think I already answered this question verbatum didn't I? It's about sending the right message. Entertainment plays a huge role in this. We can't tell people that promiscuity for example, isn't acceptable when we accept it in our enbtertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So you want to ban free speech?
Absolutely not. I'm a libertarian and believe in individual freedom and liberty. I don't propose making change through banning sexual depictions or anything else like that. What I do think is that we as a society should make the decision to willfuly reject things like sex, violence and drug use as entertainment.. It's a change the people need to make themselves, not through government mandate. But, like I said, I think people should have the right to make their own decisions in a society, even if that decision is moral bankruptcy.
Quote:
What would that be?
Have you completed high school as of yet? If so, I have to believe that you were required to take a Health class. Perhaps you fell asleep that day and need to repeat it?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Isn't that what we do?
Who exactly is going around promoting teenage sex?
Are you and I even living in the same realm? Do you not watch TV, movies, play video games of any sort, listen to music, read magazines etc? Unless you've been locked in a padded room since the 60's, or have just awoken from being cryogenically frozen, I can't really believe you have to ask this question. Sex is promted everywhere. Everywhere you look.
Quote:
Do you expect the whole world to look like Sesame Street so children are never exposed to any sexual content whatsoever?
Now that you mention it, a whole world that looked like Sesame Street wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's not very realistic. At least every man woman and child would know their ABC's and 123's.... the same can't be said right now. How about we start by stopping the oversexualization of everything under the sun? That alone would make a difference.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Are you and I even living in the same realm? Do you not watch TV, movies, play video games of any sort, listen to music, read magazines etc? Unless you've been locked in a padded room since the 60's, or have just awoken from being cryogenically frozen, I can't really believe you have to ask this question. Sex is promted everywhere. Everywhere you look.

Now that you mention it, a whole world that looked like Sesame Street wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's not very realistic. At least every man woman and child would know their ABC's and 123's.... the same can't be said right now. How about we start by stopping the oversexualization of everything under the sun? That alone would make a difference.
Sex is promoted, not teenage sex.

I have never seen an ad promoting teenage sex.

The society you are describing reminds me of the Amish community.

NO THANKS!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:39 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I also think that vouchers should be given out to men or women to use for the services of a prostitute. Ugly men and women should have as much right to have sex as beautiful people do. It's not someones fault that they were born ugly. It just happens. It's a real handicap for millions of Americans. A voucher system would help them be able to afford the services of prostitutes. What do you think???
may as well since we are giving out free condoms already

since parents are saying they deserve more welfare from our paychecks.
we shall also pay teens and ugly people to have more babies right?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not only talking about teenage sex specifically, the change has to start with adults and how we view sex. You know, "provide a good example" and all that. Secondly, I disagree that "teenage sex" isn't being promted. Watch the music videos of "artists" like Beyonce or Miley Cyrus. Listen to the lyrics of their songs. There was a thread not too long ago that had a bunch of the raunchy lyrics posted after the First Lady of the Free World came out and called Beyonce a quote "good role model for young girls".... Dispicable. The target demographic for these singers is young teens, and their performances are filled with sexual under and overtones.

Teen sex isn't being promoted? Don't be so naive.
Quote:

NO THANKS!
There is a lot of middle ground between what I'm advocating for, and an Amish Community.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
I'm not only talking about teenage sex specifically, the change has to start with adults and how we view sex. You know, "provide a good example" and all that. Secondly, I disagree that "teenage sex" isn't being promted. Watch the music videos of "artists" like Beyonce or Miley Cyrus. Listen to the lyrics of their songs. There was a thread not too long ago that had a bunch of the raunchy lyrics posted after the First Lady of the Free World came out and called Beyonce a quote "good role model for young girls".... Dispicable. The target demographic for these singers is young teens, and their performances are filled with sexual under and overtones.

Teen sex isn't being promoted? Don't be so naive.

There is a lot of middle ground between what I'm advocating for, and an Amish Community.
adults do not have to change how we view sex. start by being a responsible parent and educate your child about sex. if as a parent you dislike videos of beyonce and miley then don't let your kids watch, or better yet explain to them what your objections are. as to the pervasive sexual nature of the world, well that is subjective. to each his own.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:02 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

NO THANKS!
Oh, I don't know I have seen it promoted on those silly teeny bopper sitcoms. Irregardless though sex is promoted everywhere and teenagers are watching it. One doesn't have to be prude to realize that it influences our kid's behavior.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
adults do not have to change how we view sex. start by being a responsible parent and educate your child about sex. if as a parent you dislike videos of beyonce and miley then don't let your kids watch, or better yet explain to them what your objections are. as to the pervasive sexual nature of the world, well that is subjective. to each his own.
I do agree with you. Parents should be parents, instead of trying to be "freinds" with their kids. The good influence starts at home, there's no debating that.

As I've already said though, none of can raise our kids in a vacuum. This ain't "The Village" ( movie referrence ).... Society plays a role and will end up influencing young minds regardless.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
I do agree with you. Parents should be parents, instead of trying to be "freinds" with their kids. The good influence starts at home, there's no debating that.

As I've already said though, none of can raise our kids in a vacuum. This ain't "The Village" ( movie referrence ).... Society plays a role and will end up influencing young minds regardless.
So, what's your plan?

How do we get this PG society you dream of?

Should we appoint a National Morality Council that censors everything that might send children the wrong message?

All entertainment should be along the lines of Lawrence Welk and Leave It To Beaver, anything racier than that - CENSORED!

And no more violence! Football, wrestling/boxing - BANNED!

While we're at it......alcohol, tobacco, junk food - BANNED!

Out of wedlock children? Parents to jail, children put up for adoption. YEP....don't want to send the message that having sex outside of marriage is acceptable.

Divorce? Well, that's gotta go too. If you make a bad choice and marry the wrong person, you have to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for your bad decision and make the best of it.....FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Have I forgotten anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies