Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Because you're one of the ones on here promoting casual, recreational sex with many partners. It's 2014, just do IT! Right? Sex isn't a serious subject, it's a recreational activity.... right? That's the message you and society are sending today's youth. You're helping to promote this culture of sexual promiscuity, so it's only fair you bear some of the responsibility for the negative outcomes that result....

I think that's a more than fair assessment.

I agree, to an extent, but the fact is that we don't live in a vacuum. Parental influence is not the only thing that goes in to play here, society's influence also plays a role in shaping young minds. You can't just blame the parents....
That's the problem with liberals they have an "anything goes" attitude but "just don't get caught at it". We'll fix it so you don't have to be responsible for your actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Because you're one of the ones on here promoting casual, recreational sex with many partners. It's 2014, just do IT! Right? Sex isn't a serious subject, it's a recreational activity.... right? That's the message you and society are sending today's youth. You're helping to promote this culture of sexual promiscuity, so it's only fair you bear some of the responsibility for the negative outcomes that result....

I think that's a more than fair assessment.

I agree, to an extent, but the fact is that we don't live in a vacuum. Parental influence is not the only thing that goes in to play here, society's influence also plays a role in shaping young minds. You can't just blame the parents....
I am promoting responsible sex, casual............ or not so casual.

Kids are always going to be exposed to undesirable influences. Whether it is sex, alcohol, drugs, crime, smoking, or junk food.....the ultimate responsibility as to how a child reacts to those influences rests squarely on the shoulders of the parents.

Funny, promoting responsibility and in the same breath saying parents can shirk their responsibility and blame society for their children's shortcomings.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Accept we've made the world what it is. We can change it. I'm not naïve, I know that people are going to have sex. My problem is with promoting this culture of sexual promiscuity.

As to "it's been tried".... It did work, to a degree. It used to be a shameful thing to be known as someone who slept around or have a bunch of kids to a bunch of different people....

Par for the course these days.

There is absolutely NO proof that supplying b/c causes people to have sex with "multiple partners". That's a straw man argument that some are using to bolster their claim that sexual behavior is out of control.

The promoting of sexual promiscuity ( to quote you ) began way before this generation of kids ( probably when some of you anti's were a kid), with the sexual Revoloution of the 60's. Free love, free sex, peace, love and flower power.

Last edited by Sydney123; 09-26-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What does it say about a parent who would hand their young kids a license to have sex? Because essentially that is what it is by supplying them with birth control methods. It's like "have fun but don't get caught and pay the consequences". I stand by what I said. If you don't agree then so be it. We shouldn't be making it easier for our kids to have sex and essentially condoning it, IMO. Prejudice has nothing to do with it. It's about teaching kids right from wrong and making them take responsibility for their actions. Protecting them from taking responsibility by removing the consequences of their actions is what you are actually promoting. What kind of lesson in life is that?
Why this insistence that sex must have or should have "consequences"?

When I go rock climbing, I use - well, it is actually called "protection" - because I don't want the consequences of a bad move to be a 50-foot drop. Is that "removing the consequences of my actions"? Perhaps it is. And that is a jolly good thing, in my book.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:03 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why this insistence that sex must have or should have "consequences"?

When I go rock climbing, I use - well, it is actually called "protection" - because I don't want the consequences of a bad move to be a 50-foot drop. Is that "removing the consequences of my actions"? Perhaps it is. And that is a jolly good thing, in my book.
Your analogy is completely unrelated to having sex as a minor and encouraging them through handing them birth control methods. The only one that can get hurt is you in your analogy and there is nothing morally wrong about rock climbing.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Your analogy is completely unrelated to having sex as a minor and encouraging them through handing them birth control methods. The only one that can get hurt is you in your analogy and there is nothing morally wrong about rock climbing.
Are you sure about that? Canada doesn't have the puritanical view on sex or abortion that the US does and they have less teen births and less abortions. It's one thing to hire a hooker for a 13 yr old kid, but quite another to say if you have sex you need to prevent pregnancy and STD's by using condoms.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
That's the problem with liberals they have an "anything goes" attitude but "just don't get caught at it". We'll fix it so you don't have to be responsible for your actions.
Are you implying that conservatives don't engage in casual sex?

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
???

Free condoms don't prevent pregnancy but condoms that are not free do???
I would think that is the same thing. Free, cheap condoms, and free us usually cheap, won't prevent pregnancy. They sure won't prevent STDs.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Your analogy is completely unrelated to having sex as a minor and encouraging them through handing them birth control methods.
Not so sure. See, people who want to climb rocks/have sex don't need protection and knowledge to go do so. It's just that it's way more risky without.

So while I don't want to tell young people "go climb rocks all willy-nilly", I am all in favor of making sure that those who do climb rocks do so safely. In fact, I am against people suffering any consequences of rock climbing. (Of course the analogy fails in that we don't have a deep-seated hormonal urge to go climb rocks.)

Quote:
The only one that can get hurt is you in your analogy
The people who need to come and rescue my dumb ass when I fall don't count? The resources society will need to put up to patch me up and rehabilitate me?

Quote:
and there is nothing morally wrong about rock climbing.
There's nothing morally wrong about sex per se, as long as all participants are consenting and of age.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Free, cheap condoms, and free us usually cheap, won't prevent pregnancy. They sure won't prevent STDs.
I don't get what you're conveying at all. Are you somehow implying that the condoms available for free are of inferior quality or efficiency? Because that would be kinda dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies