Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
OKAY,
Im sure no one will agree, but it seems as tho it all fell apart and things started going down hill when prayer and the- UH OH!!
im gona say it.....
the Bible, was taken out of schools..
Probably Im the only one in the country that thinks this-
but I thought Id give it a shot and throw this idea out in the public arena ,( so to speak )
and see what happens...
It will go over like a led brick. However, 1963 is the pivotal point and the moral compass began to weaken.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Well when you let in millions of people from the 3rd world what did we think was going to happen?

You bring 3rd world people, you get 3rd world problems..
This country's Founders where born here.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What year was the OP a kid? Funny thing about this idea is everyone thinks life was better back when they were a kid because they were kids and not involved in grown up issues.

For me, the 80's and early 90s were amazing because I was a kid. That doesn't mean things were better in the world, it just means I wasn't aware of what was going on in the world at the time.
Do you remember the homeless people standing on the street corner? Honest question, not sarcasm.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Do you remember the homeless people standing on the street corner? Honest question, not sarcasm.
Where I lived there really wasn't homeless people. It was a suburban city that would arrest people for being homeless. So I don't remember seeing homeless people growing up. And when we went to the downtown in the next city over, you wouldn't see homeless there because the police would simply move them to more seedy neighborhoods. There were plenty of public housing that kept people from being homeless as well as being separated from everyone else to keep people out of sight, out of mind.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It will go over like a led brick. However, 1963 is the pivotal point and the moral compass began to weaken.
It was a communist plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHD5nd3QLTg

Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
To the best of my knowledge prayer and bible were not in public schools during the school years of the baby boom, no?

I cannot imagine which prayers, which version of the bible and what about those who don't believe in Christ?
Basically that is what got it removed. It wasn't a court ruling though till 63, the boom ended in 64
Every one believed (most every one) that it was the queen atheist woman that took it to court, but it wasn't . She was a part of it, for sure and took public recognition for it. However, I was watching a local PBS and the man who was then a boy, was being interviewed. It was his parents that brought the suit.

The teacher would sit him outside in the hallway, he was Jewish, I think, and they didn't believe that was right that their son should be sitting in the hallway, singled out from the rest of his classmate. He said he was happy about the atheist woman, because he was able to live his life free from the press.

I agreed with the Supreme Court. However, what people did with that ruling was abusive and that I don't agree with.

We can talk about the over reaching government with their regulations on, well basically everything we do any more, but the bottom line, it is and will always be, Government by the People. So if people want to know what has changed over the last 50 years, if they are honest, they already know the answer to the question.

Social evolution is a science and we are evolving. What we evolve into, is totally up to us.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
That was good. I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me. This will have to do for now.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-30-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where I lived there really wasn't homeless people. It was a suburban city that would arrest people for being homeless. So I don't remember seeing homeless people growing up. And when we went to the downtown in the next city over, you wouldn't see homeless there because the police would simply move them to more seedy neighborhoods. There were plenty of public housing that kept people from being homeless as well as being separated from everyone else to keep people out of sight, out of mind.
Yes, thank you, because that is how I remember it too.

There was an article I was reading that said there were only a few homeless people in NYC in 1960. That some people set out to do a survey, but couldn't because the number was so low, it didn't warrant a survey. (an article on tent cities)

And I thought, that's not right. However, all I remember of the 80's was school and riding a bus, yuk, to school. However, I think I would remember if there were some one on a street corner with a sign that said, I will work for food. With that said...

Loitering was a jail time offense. If a person didn't have a home/shelter to go to, they would be thrown in jail. Times have changed. Now, we have tent cities.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The problem with memory is that, non-specific memories become distorted over time. Case in point with the OP, and others of his generation that like to reference the "good old days". "Good old days" for whom? He's looking at history through the lens of White Privilege.
I'm not, White Privileged and it was, 'the good 'ole days'. And yes, ME is still the same now as it was then...killing each other, over something I'm sure they have forgotten what it was all about, but they keep doing it non-the-less. And they're having such a great time, they've invited the U.S. to join and we have obliged.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
What happened was normalizing and even promoting crap inappropriate behavior in all sectors of life. People, business, government etc. For some reason, standards became verboten if even one person got their feelings hurt, and business and government became things to further a short term agenda rather than the good of society on the whole.
You nailed it with that one sentence. "What's the big deal, stop being such a Puritan..." as if having morals means you have a stick up your hind quarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I lived "back then", and it wasn't exactly the sole domain of straight white guys (regardless of what you have heard). I didn't say it was different, I said it was less cold to each other and we had better functioning business and government. People weren't the same self centered morons they are today, which has nothing to do with rose colored glasses and everything to do with remembering that once upon a time, people knew for the most part how to interact and business and government weren't solely the domain of Wall Street and the military.
This is part of the problem today. People do not have any social skills. It's very easy to hide behind their text messages and on the internet, where they don't have to face the people they are addressing. It allows for some people to become extremely nasty. (You think people offend you (general "you") on CD? HA! You should venture to some other parts of the internet where they would rip your easily offended backside in to shreds, with glee. What goes on here on CD is like pre-school compared to how some people act on the rest of the internet.) You have people who can't carry on a conversation, they can't even do it in text messages. They can't form complete, coherent sentences, they don't know how, or are very uncomfortable with, holding conversations with people face to face, and some people act like everyone they don't know is the enemy. Manners have gone straight out the window...and the thing is, it can be contagious if you spend too much time around it.

There is a huge...HUGE "Us vs Them" mentality. It's in every facet of life, not just politics. That mentality, along with the entitlement mentality, ("You're a special snowflake, Johnny! You all get trophies! And do not mark my child's paper with a red pen, it causes him unnecessary anxiety! Use a friendly color, like purple!" etc, etc), has been a major part of the problem.

You have people who grow up with their parents giving them, handing them everything, and they grow up to be adults who realize, "dang, life is hard! Heck with that, give me, give me, give me" and want the government to now be their parent. Adulthood is something some people appear to have an issue with...because they have been lied to their entire lives about how "everyone" just "adores" them, and "everything" they do is "just so darn cute, we have to videotape it and show everyone". No one is unique or more interesting, or better than anyone else. Some people have certain talents, and others have other talents. That's how life goes.

Accepting that you (general "you"), will not always win, will not always have the favor of everyone around you, will not always be "the best", will not always have it easy, is how you deal with it. I think we have lived in a very, very comfortable bubble for a very long time. Some people cannot grasp the concept of life being hard. True struggles tend to humble people, not enrage them and turn them in to demanding mobs of anger, expecting everyone else in society to make it up to them...and while of course some people in this society have actually had true struggles, a lot of the other "struggles" I've heard throughout my time on this earth have been what some country singer labeled: First World Problems. We have led cushy little lives...so when reality bites, it bites extra hard. People were not raised with coping skills, so they have no idea how else to cope but to lash out. At everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies