Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,891,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Cathy, should Texas thus also have the right to a vote of the majority on the rights of any other minority in its state? Any minority that is less than even gays, for why stop at gays if the amount of the population is the toll? Think about it, why stop at gays, or is it just the it is yucky syndrome? This has bugged me for years. We are cool and can get full equal respect from the population, if we lie, hide in a closet, get married to the opposite sex and live a lie, have kids, still living a lie and that is okay, but come out of the closet and admit who we are and we are not subject to discrimination and fewer rights. So it is okay if we just hide from all of you, pretend we are one of you and just keep anything about our own personal lives a hidden secret, afraid that if someone finds out we could lose our job, everything. Living like that is like having Don't ask, don't tell on your back all the time, afraid someone is going to destroy your life because they hate who you are. Can you answer that one too Cathy? I respect everyones right to their beliefs, no matter what their religion or lack of is, it is when they start making laws based on those beliefs that I have an issue. Why must I or any one of any religion be forced to obey the tenets of anothers religion. That is part of the freedom of religion.
As I've stated in the past, going against your orientation--and living a lie (unless your spouse is fully aware of what's going on, and agrees to it) is not the way to go. I don't want to see gays hounded and persecuted for who they are. I don't want to see them lose jobs or housing.

I don't know what the answer is. I really don't. But the issue has been taken out of our hands--and it won't be long until gay marriage is legal in all 50 states.

I cannot accept gay marriage. But that doesn't translate to "I hate gays." That's just my opinion, and it won't matter two cents in the end, if that much.

I think civil union would probably work, as opposed to "marriage." But in the end, regardless of terms used, it will end up being the same thing.

And I know that very well.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What do you mean by being left alone to go about our lives? Does that mean being allowed those 1049 federal rights, or not fearing being fired for being gay? Are those part of being left alone, or are those things we have to tolerate from the majority who seem to not want to tolerate us or leave us alone?
I mean that you should be able to go about your lives without fear of being beaten within an inch of it.

Job performance is not related to orientation.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:28 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As I've stated in the past, going against your orientation--and living a lie (unless your spouse is fully aware of what's going on, and agrees to it) is not the way to go. I don't want to see gays hounded and persecuted for who they are. I don't want to see them lose jobs or housing.

I don't know what the answer is. I really don't. But the issue has been taken out of our hands--and it won't be long until gay marriage is legal in all 50 states.

I cannot accept gay marriage. But that doesn't translate to "I hate gays." That's just my opinion, and it won't matter two cents in the end, if that much.

I think civil union would probably work, as opposed to "marriage." But in the end, regardless of terms used, it will end up being the same thing.

Why should anyone else's rights be in our hands to begin with?? That is the reason why these bans are getting overturned. That is the reason the Judicial branch exists.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
I cannot accept gay marriage.
Sure you can. You just choose not to because for whatever reason you fear accepting it.

Quote:
And that's really all a civil marriage is - it's a civil union that in the law just happens to be titled "marriage." Again, civil marriage it has nothing to do with religion - it's a strictly legal institution. Gay people shouldn't be punished and denied access to a civil, secular law because of the sensitive attachments other people have to a word.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't understand why you believe that gay people are wired that way while at the same time say it's an aberration of nature. That makes no sense at all.

Homosexuality has been selected for and maintained in basically every higher animal species generation after generation for millions of years. The question isn't, "it it natural?" - the question is "why is it natural?".

Answering that question is harder in some species that others (and the answer in some species very well might be that it's vestigial). Black Swans is an easy one. Roughly 25% of male black swans form lifelong, "monogamous" male/male mating pairs. They nest together for life - they never sexually reproduce with females. These male/male pairings raise orphaned chicks, and even more often than that they steal eggs from male/female pairings (which are then replaced by the laying of a new egg) and then hatch and raise that chick. The swans raised by the "gay" couples survive to adulthood about twice as often as those raised in "traditional" nests. It's in interesting example of homosexuality directly aiding in the propagation of a species.
I do think that gays are wired that way--but it's very unusual for most species, animal or human. The numbers are small. Why it even exists--I have no answer for that.

Interesting sidenote on the swans. I can understand raising orphaned or abandoned chicks who would not otherwise survive, but stealing eggs from an existing nest seems unusual.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:38 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,256,716 times
Quote:

Thats just like saying; I cannot accept black men marrying white women. But that doesn't translate to "I hate Blacks."

Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Interesting sidenote on the swans. I can understand raising orphaned or abandoned chicks who would not otherwise survive, but stealing eggs from an existing nest seems unusual.
Perhaps unusual (although I don't think it's "unsusual"), but certainly 100% natural - and it clearly helps the propagation of the species.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A homophobe is somebody who fears the acceptance or toleration of homosexuals and homosexuality. In response to this fear, a homophobe fights against the acceptance and toleration of homosexuals and homosexuality - he fights to keep gay people from serving in the military, he fights to prevent gay people from accessing civil marriage law, etc, etc. If you fight for gay people being treated differently than straight people, you're a homophobe.
Homophobe, hater, and bigot are casually used against anyone who disagrees with any position deemed acceptable to the gay rights position.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Homophobe, hater, and bigot are casually used against anyone who disagrees with any position deemed acceptable to the gay rights position.
Yep, pretty much.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
And usually the shoe fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies