Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am for background checks when it comes to buying guns.

Not for certifying you are who you claim you are when voting though?

Voting is important don't you think it's integrity should be assured?
Why all the energy to fight that very thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
College ID may not meet the back ground checks a Driver Lin. has. Id to be recognized has to pass certain criteria.

A collage ID would not pick up if you are a citizen or a felon. Id Photo ID is the last step in the Voter Election Process.
We covered the requirements in earlier post.
DLs don't pick up citizenship or felons either. Only a Real ID does and they don't necessarily indicate citizenship. There is a thing called an Enhanced DL is actually proof of citizenship. But they are issued in a narrow set of states.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
College ID may not meet the back ground checks a Driver Lin. has. Id to be recognized has to pass certain criteria.

A college ID would not pick up if you are a citizen or a felon. Id Photo ID is the last step in the Voter Election Process.
We covered the requirements in earlier post.
A state issued photo ID wouldn't pick up that you are a felon either. If this is such a big concern, the states could always help fund college IDs so that they are able to be used for voting as well.

Also, one should simply be able to bring their birth certificate and social security card with a piece of mail, and have that be an acceptable form of ID as well.

Or we could just have a national photo ID that is issued to every American when they turn 18, and that be the ID you need to show whenever voting and be done with it.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not for certifying you are who you claim you are when voting though?

Voting is important don't you think it's integrity should be assured?
Why all the energy to fight that very thing?
That is done when you register to vote, why should one certify who they are if they have already certified who they are? It is the job of the states to make sure the voter rolls are accurate. If a name is on the voter roll that shouldn't be there, a photo ID isn't going to prevent anything.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:13 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
DLs don't pick up citizenship or felons either. Only a Real ID does and they don't necessarily indicate citizenship. There is a thing called an Enhanced DL is actually proof of citizenship. But they are issued in a narrow set of states.
I have one. They are issued in states / provinces along the US-Canada border. New York has lots of reciprocal agreements with Ontario and Quebec to share information.

In fact, it is so handy that getting a speeding ticket in one of these three states / provinces will transfer points on your license directly. It also acts as a pseudo-passport between the countries.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:25 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
A state issued photo ID wouldn't pick up that you are a felon either. If this is such a big concern, the states could always help fund college IDs so that they are able to be used for voting as well.

Also, one should simply be able to bring their birth certificate and social security card with a piece of mail, and have that be an acceptable form of ID as well.

Or we could just have a national photo ID that is issued to every American when they turn 18, and that be the ID you need to show whenever voting and be done with it.
I do no t know about your point about the State ID. My friendly DMV explained to that the ID as well as DL are ran back ground checks,

National ID may be the trick, But I think it would be handled better on the State level with explicit requirements.

Maybe a little miss information , by our civil servants?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Default DL is the End Result.

Quote:
DL is the end result in applying for a DL in State. By time a DL is issue all of the steps of Birth Certificates, Mail and running your previous DL to see if there is legal issues.

Now ( Crinch ) States they Issue DL like Ca. the DL say "not a citizen" Then technically we open anther can of worms. Example did that Alien have visa and up to date work permits? Good questions!

Lets not put the cart before the Horse!

Old 10-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I do no t know about your point about the State ID. My friendly DMV explained to that the ID as well as DL are ran back ground checks,

National ID may be the trick, But I think it would be handled better on the State level with explicit requirements.

Maybe a little miss information , by our civil servants?
Are you trying to tell me a felon can't get a drivers license? Or do they put an "F" for Felon on the license?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
DL is the end result in applying for a DL in State. By time a DL is issue all of the steps of Birth Certificates, Mail and running your previous DL to see if there is legal issues.

Now ( Crinch ) States they Issue DL like Ca. the DL say "not a citizen" Then technically we open anther can of worms. Example did that Alien have visa and up to date work permits? Good questions!

Lets not put the cart before the Horse!
You are still suffering from Oz disease. You seem to believe things are as you would likely them to be. But they are not.

CA drivers who are not citizens or are Felons can get perfectly standard DLs. The illegal immigrant licenses lead off with DP not DL and say "not a citizen". But DLs of legal aliens do not.

And the idea that DMV runs a background check? You really do believe in the tooth fairy don't you?

And you know, if you can get the partisan webs out of your brain, it is insane to use DLs as proof of anything other than the right to drive a car.

In fact if you wanted an efficient system you would have a standard ID card which included both the individual citizenship, citizenship status, and any other specific licenses like driving or commercial driving or the license to practice law. But that would make things too simple.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Default Just for you!

Quote:
You are still suffering from Oz disease. You seem to believe things are as you would likely them to be. But they are not.

CA drivers who are not citizens or are Felons can get perfectly standard DLs. The illegal immigrant licenses lead off with DP not DL and say "not a citizen". But DLs of legal aliens do not.

And the idea that DMV runs a background check? You really do believe in the tooth fairy don't you?
Well here something to break the myth of NY Purity.
. Thus anther reason I will not move to anything they Call NY. There would be something terribly wrong if I move to NY.
On the sake of having a absolute clean election, I do not understand your stance on Photo ID. That is if you are for clean elections? Any measure to add security to the process is good. I can assure you they run your Lic and run any applicant for wants, tickets & warrants.

Don't let Big Brother fool you. Just for you to break thr Myth of New State Elections. I sure I did more of these in the archives.

he results for the Bloomingburg mayoral election remain undecided. As Meredith Zaritheny reports, officials returned to Sullivan County Court on Monday.
BLOOMINGBURG, N.Y. -- Nearly two weeks ago, the Board of Elections submitted the results of its investigation into the voter registration claims made nearly two weeks ago. On Monday, attorneys for both sides of the argument returned to court.
The board looked at more than 100 voters to see if they were properly registered to vote in the Village of Bloomingburg election held in the beginning of March.
The board found only 11 out of the 121 voter registration challenges were determined to be qualified voters. The remaining 110 ballots were found to be cast by unqualified voters who were not properly registered to vote in the election.
If the judge agrees with the decision made by the Board of Elections, only 11 votes will be counted. However, attorneys for Shalom Lamm are challenging the validity of the Board of Elections findings.

"Let my people vote, I mean that's what this is about. Okay we have case law out there that says people can register to vote from a park bench that objections are saying people can't register from an apartment or from a house," said John Ciampoli, Lamm's attorney.

- See more at: Voter fraud case continues in Bloomingburg - Time Warner Cable News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies