Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I feel that this doctor, who surely knows that fatigue is one of the symptoms of Ebola, should have taken this EBOLA SYMPTOM a bit more seriously - for the sake of others, not just himself.
I guess we'll have to disagree. I feel that fatigue is so vague, so difficult to define, that I completely empathize with the doctor and his choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know the protocol and I doubt you do either. The standard we have all heard is fever. Maybe fatigue will be added, but I doubt it. Fatigue is too non-specific and subjective I would think. Anyway, there is no evidence that fatigue signals a contagious point in Ebola. Even fever apparently is not sufficient to herald that.
The problem I have admittedly as a non-doctor is that they seem to imply there is a fairly precise and specific point when someone becomes contagious.

I have a hard time believing they really have a handle on when that is and I'm just guessing it varies, perhaps slightly, from person to person. Also factor in the tendency of this virus to mutate.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I guess we'll have to disagree. I feel that fatigue is so vague, so difficult to define, that I completely empathize with the doctor and his choices.
Yep, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel that since fatigue is definitely a symptom of Ebola, and since he was supposed to be self monitoring, as a doctor I expect him to practice a bit more caution rather than a bit less. I am sorry he caught Ebola and I applaud his work with Ebola patients, but that doesn't make him immune to criticism, or mean that others can't learn from this.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel that since fatigue is definitely a symptom of Ebola, and since he was supposed to be self monitoring, as a doctor I expect him to practice a bit more caution rather than a bit less. I am sorry he caught Ebola and I applaud his work with Ebola patients, but that doesn't make him immune to criticism, or mean that others can't learn from this.
And if no one else is infected, what will you have learned from this?

I think the criticism of this doctor echoes the criticism of Nurse Vinson, and what did we learn from Nurse Vinson's situation? That panic and overreaction are counter-productive?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Best I can tell NY Daily News and NY Post were amongst the first to report the doctor had a 103 temp and diarrhea. Both of these reports were wrong and repeated by assorted media and used to fear monger for profit and politics.

The earlier the media reports "breaking news" on any topic the more likely misinformation is spread. The more media speculates the more will panic.

There are Internet reports out there that claim everything from Ebola is a non - existent hoax to it being airborne.

The science has not changed.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The problem I have admittedly as a non-doctor is that they seem to imply there is a fairly precise and specific point when someone becomes contagious.

I have a hard time believing they really have a handle on when that is and I'm just guessing it varies, perhaps slightly, from person to person. Also factor in the tendency of this virus to mutate.

Better safe than sorry.
Exactly. No one really knows and we're seeing false certainty from the talking points experts here.

There is also the concept of superspreaders -those who can spread an infectious agent without symptoms -that is entirely unexplored with Ebola.

We have a situation where a President values Africans more than Americans and has a propaganda army who will mouth whatever words they are fed.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Exactly. No one really knows and we're seeing false certainty from the talking points experts here.

There is also the concept of superspreaders -those who can spread an infectious agent without symptoms -that is entirely unexplored with Ebola.

We have a situation where a President values Africans more than Americans and has a propaganda army who will mouth whatever words they are fed.
The international Doctors without Borders is a part of Obama's propaganda army?

WHO is a part of Obama's propaganda army?

Who knew he was so powerful?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What about Nina Pham and Amber Vinson?
What about them?

My point is that no one who had casual contact with him contracted the virus. His fiance didn't even get it.

Healthcare workers are another situation entirely.

As for the doctor in NYC, I'd ask people to consider how many instances of SARS there were in that city when that virus was circulating widely.
In relation to the population, it was a rather infinitesimal number.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I hope they show video of Nina Pham going to see her dog, Bentley. Poor Bentley has to stay in quarantine for a couple more days, but seeing her (and she won't have to wear a space suit) should make him really happy.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Default Oh, and about NYC being so super prepared and so much better than Dallas

might want to check the arrogance a little:

NYPD Stunner: Cops Exit Ebola Victim Apartment, Dump Gloves, Masks In Sidewalk Trash Can | Zero Hedge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...alk-leave.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies