Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM

21,464 posts, read 10,564,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Watching Hannity right now as his mouth foams.

Once again he lies and iterates 33 countries have banned travel from the affected countries including France and the UK, blah, blah, blah. Guess he prefers to ignore that Air France continues to fly to one of the affected countries, daily. Guess he prefers to ignore that no country, outside of Africa, has banned any documented travelers connecting from affected countries from entering their country.

Why let facts get in the way of fear mongering.
It doesn't matter anyway as this doctor is an American citizen. I still am in favor of travel restrictions or limitations with forced quarantine. No more of this "self-quarantine" crap. If a doctor who worked closely with Ebola patients can't even self-quarantine, then how are we to expect the average person from the affected countries to self-quarantine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Quote:
Watching Hannity right now as his mouth foams.

Once again he lies and iterates 33 countries have banned travel from the affected countries including France and the UK, blah, blah, blah. Guess he prefers to ignore that Air France continues to fly to one of the affected countries, daily. Guess he prefers to ignore that no country, outside of Africa, has banned any documented travelers connecting from affected countries from entering their country.

Why let facts get in the way of fear mongering.
St martin and Columbia have.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
I missed the Press Conference. Did President Obola have any statement to make?

I just want to ask one question to anyone here who hasn't been exposed to Ebola and who is physically fit. If you are feeling fatigued, do you generally run a few miles, go bowling and go out to eat? Would you do it if you had been treating Ebola patients?

I think this whole thing just goes to show you that intelligent people don't necessarily have common sense.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I just want to ask one question to anyone here who hasn't been exposed to Ebola and who is physically fit. If you are feeling fatigued, do you generally run a few miles, go bowling and go out to eat? Would you do it if you had been treating Ebola patients?

I think this whole thing just goes to show you that intelligent people don't necessarily have common sense.

CNN just reported he didn't have a fever and then bam, sometime between 10 and 11 a.m. this morning he has 103 degree fever.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
How are they getting so much information on these people?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
I can appreciate your fear, having lived in NY.
Before going off the deep end remember Duncan's 24 hour journey through 4 airports, 3 flights , 2 layovers, family contact, the 4 who shared an apartment with him as his condition deteriorated, the healthcare workers on his first ER visit, EMT and then hospitalization.

Out of all those contacts, 2 nurses, who cared for him as the virus consumed Duncan, acquired Ebola.

Seems to me the people most at risk right now are the healthcare workers in the NY hospital that are treating this doctor.
But that is too reasonable, Mom.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Yea, Obama will say it's the republicans fault.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:

Um yeah. We were just moving into our new home over 20 yrs ago. It was also hubby's birthday. We were so tired. Went out for dinner to celebrate. Surprised we were able to eat without our faces falling into the food but we managed.

However, that was 20 plus years ago. Not a Dr. Not over in W. Africa who had treated any Ebola patients. Still, not sure what or how much I would have done since coming home.
From what I heard the Dr didn't have a temp/fever at that time. Considering my age now, prob not much at all, even if I didn't have a temp.

Last edited by cat1116; 10-23-2014 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It doesn't matter anyway as this doctor is an American citizen. I still am in favor of travel restrictions or limitations with forced quarantine. No more of this "self-quarantine" crap. If a doctor who worked closely with Ebola patients can't even self-quarantine, then how are we to expect the average person from the affected countries to self-quarantine?
WHO, Doctors without Borders and CDC are consistent that " self- monitoring for 21 days" is the international protocol. There seems to be a disconnect between the international protocol and the abundance of caution contact tracing/ decontamination incentives.

This does not preclude the US from implementing more restrictive policies.

Doing so would certainly put a new spin on providing treatment in the US for an Ebola patient. Are MDs, nurses and other healthcare workers treating an Ebola patient going to be expected to put their lives on hold for the duration of treatment and 3 incremental weeks after their last point of contact?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:

Doing so would certainly put a new spin on providing treatment in the US for an Ebola patient. Are MDs, nurses and other healthcare workers treating an Ebola patient going to be expected to put their lives on hold for the duration of treatment and 3 incremental weeks after their last point of contact?
Yes, they should be. Why not? It is their choice to go there to treat patients, and their responsibility as medical professionals to ensure public safety on their return home. What is so hard about that? As I said tonight in the other Ebola thread, "self-monitoring" doesn't seem to be going so well, does it. There should be a "holding facility" (a nice one of course) for those returning here after treating patients in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies